The Strain

Quentin Taranbino

Started in the US on Sunday night from Guillermo Del Toro

Anyone else catch the first episode? I was slightly disappointed with some of the awful acting from some of the lead cast - the CDC woman being particularly bad, followed by the lead guy.

Despite this, I thought it was pretty decent - entertaining enough storyline and keen to see where it goes.

It's based on a trilogy of novels I believe. Good to see Samwise Gamgee back on TV as well :)

Also slight spoiler -

good to see someone get the Prince Oberyn treatment :thumsup2

What?? I had no idea this was being adapted for the screen!

The first book was incredible, a really top notch, gripping read.

The second two books are weaker but it's a fantastic series.

Cannot wait to watch this now

ETA: The novels were co-written by Del Toro and another gentleman whose name escapes me. Maybe Chuck Hogan?

Personally, I thought the first episode was brilliant. Setrakian is an intriguing character right from the word go. Agree on some of the acting, but it's not SO bad that it's distracted me from what's going on.

I've read the books which start off well then gradually descend in to quite predictable generic nonsense.

The scene with the darkened plane is great in the book, was it done justice in the show?

Well, I can't speak for a book reader, but the scene itself was fairly devoid of atmosphere I thought. Disappointing given it was a Del Toro made episode.

I forgot he was in Game of Thrones, but I've finally gotten around to watching Broadchurch, and thus he struck me as "that old guy from Broadchurch", and then my brother told me he was in Game of Thrones, and I instantly felt stupid for not realising who he was.

Agree on some of the acting, but it's not SO bad that it's distracted me from what's going on.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. The story seems interesting and gory enough for me to get involved without overly bothering about the standard of acting.

I saw Kevin Durand was advertised for the show, who I really like from past shows, especially Lost. Can only assume he is

the vampire/monster thing

as didn't spot him anywhere else

Worth noting that it's absolutely brilliant Corey Stoll in the lead role. Can't imagine what's got into him with this one. Might be a miscasting. He's certainly not a bad actor, and was woefully overlooked for the Best Supporting Actor for House of Cards.

Worth noting that it's absolutely brilliant Corey Stoll in the lead role. Can't imagine what's got into him with this one. Might be a miscasting. He's certainly not a bad actor, and was woefully overlooked for the Best Supporting Actor for House of Cards.

I liked him as Ernest Hemingway in Midnight in Paris (great film)

I watched this last night and they really screwed up the 'dead plane' by showing what happened before it landed, removed any suspense or mystery when you already know a 'creature' has broken out of the hold.

And did no one discover Andrew Divoff (airport manager guy) with his head smashed to a pulp in the hanger?

That was definitely a gratuitous gore scene.

Will continue watching but it hasn't 'gripped' me like I thought it would when I read the book.

• 1 month later...

Started watching this last week after I heard about it on a podcast and five episodes in, I'm really enjoying it. Never realised it hadn't started over here yet and premieres this Wednesday on Sky.

For the first 15-20 minutes of the first episode, I was wondering whether I was watching Fringe again but it was a bit of WTF moment when the air traffic controller discovered "The Master" in the basement and subsequently had his skull smashed to pieces. Feels like it could go down a similar route as The Walking Dead but not sure whether its premise is significantly more different to be sustainable without people thinking it's just the same show with vampires instead of zombies. Glad to see that it has been renewed for a second series though so will definitely stick with it. Also enjoying the novelty of seeing Filch from the Harry Potter films as a vampire slaying, sword wielding Armenian pawnbroker.

I watched this last night and they really screwed up the 'dead plane' by showing what happened before it landed, removed any suspense or mystery when you already know a 'creature' has broken out of the hold.

And did no one discover Andrew Divoff (airport manager guy) with his head smashed to a pulp in the hanger?

That was definitely a gratuitous gore scene.

Will continue watching but it hasn't 'gripped' me like I thought it would when I read the book.

I was surprised just how brutal that scene was.

I enjoyed the first episode. As said, i thought the 'dead plane' was quite underwhelming, i actually thought the scene near the end in the morgue(?) was creepier.

The stuff at the end with the wee girls was well done too. I'm delighted it looks as though, from the trailer for the 2nd episode, that she kills her dad, who i wanted to punch in the face for slapping Eph.

Started in the US on Sunday night from Guillermo Del Toro

Anyone else catch the first episode? I was slightly disappointed with some of the awful acting from some of the lead cast - the CDC woman being particularly bad, followed by the lead guy.

Despite this, I thought it was pretty decent - entertaining enough storyline and keen to see where it goes.

It's based on a trilogy of novels I believe. Good to see Samwise Gamgee back on TV as well :)

Also slight spoiler -

good to see someone get the Prince Oberyn treatment :thumsup2

Agree, thought it was pretty guff, I heard it was a more adult horror series and not like your teen vampire crap, but that's exactly what it was (without the moody teenagers in lead roles)

Just watches episode 1 and it's standard formulaic stuff, lead man, disfunctional, good looking and a maverick,.....Sidekick nice ass, ......Unlikely hero, old Jewish guy....Yawn.

• 4 weeks later...

The pilot was woeful at times. the dialogue was so hammy. The bit where the air traffic controller taps the screen when the plane goes red, then uses the line - "wow, it's as big as a building" or something similar ..... You work in air traffic control! Surely you know how big a plane is!!!

also, the line where Sam Wise Gamgee said "I've got your milk" for the lead to reply "keep it cool for me, I'll be right back" - it was Ace Rimmer like!

However, I stuck with it and am now really enjoying it.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else watch this right through?

Thought it was excellent in places and terrible mostly. Durand's mumbling impression of a Ukrainian was just daft.

Last episode went some way to restoring my hope of a decent second series but overall I expected better. The Master looked like something from a kids TV show. Best not to take it seriously but expected something groundbreaking the way people were banging on about it.

Archived