• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ReaganCruz
    Newest Member
    ReaganCruz

• Latest Posts

• When I got FTTP last year I bought a mesh system (Deco X20) with 3 access points. A few years ago I did run some network cable round the house, so 2 of the access points are hard wired to the Sky router, but one the the access points is connected wirelessly. The access points each have a couple of gigabit ports on them and I used to run a Sky Q mini box plugged into the wireless one without any problems ( I did for a bit have all my Sky Q boxes hard wired with the wifi turned off on them all, so as far as the Sky Q mini box was concerned being plugged into the wireless access point was a wired connection). The Deco mesh system by default works in router mode where it will allocate IP addresses using DCHP, but as that would interfere with the DCHP on the Sky router, I set the Deco mesh system up in access point mode instead so the Sky router still does all the IP address management. This is easily done in the initial system set up. I have a 500mbps broadband connection, and I if I do speed tests on my phone I normally get 350+ mbps anywhere in the house no matter what access point I'm connected to. So far I've not had many issues with the mesh network, although I have had to reboot it maybe 3 or 4 times in the last year. I have found some wireless things don't work too well with it, mainly a couple of wireless web cams, which is ironic as they are made by TP-Link who make the mesh system. I get round that by having the mesh wifi network separate from the sky router wifi network (i,e, two different SSID's), so if there are any things that don't work too well on the mesh network I just connect them to the sky network instead. I have used powerline in the past, but I've never been a fan as I always found they would frequently hang up and I'd be constantly switching them off and on to reset. With the mesh system it just works. Although 2 of my access points are hard wired the things that are connect to the wireless access point work without any issue. My experience suggests that as long the mesh access points are not too far apart, then you would be able to use them wirelessly and connect wired PCs etc to them without any problem (Remember one of the access points will still need to be hard wired to your internet router). If you needed more hard connections than the access point had, then all you'd need to do would be connect a switch to the access point. As I mentioned, I have a Deco mesh system, so with that I can add other access points to expand the system, and the extra access points don't have to be the same type are the original as long as they are compatible, which most of the Deco units are. I have three access points, two downstairs and one upstairs which is more than sufficient for the whole house and garden.   The TLDR reply is, I'd get a mesh system and connect the PC to a port on one of the access points.   Not sure if that's any help or not.    
    • Self important c**t helps perpetrate the "them and us" attitude on the roads nowadays. He's part of the reason drivers are aggressive or antagonistic towards cyclists.
    • Ayr 2 - 1 Morton Dunfermline 1 - 1 Queens Park Hamilton 2 - 1 Partick  Livi 4 - 0 Airdrie  Raith 2 - 2 Falkirk 
    • I've already got my complaint typed up to post at 2:30 tomorrow
  • P&B Ad Free

• Popular Contributors

• Most Contributions