Pregnancy And Parenting

Not sure if it's the correct thread, but has anyone bought a set of football goals for there children that aren't shite? 

Looking at buying a set, however the back garden is all astro so they can't be pegged down. My memory from goals I got as a kid is that they're absolutely shite and liable to break as soon as you kick a ball into them. 

6 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Not sure if it's the correct thread, but has anyone bought a set of football goals for there children that aren't shite? 

Looking at buying a set, however the back garden is all astro so they can't be pegged down. My memory from goals I got as a kid is that they're absolutely shite and liable to break as soon as you kick a ball into them. 

going back a while now, but we always had a set of "Samba" goals in the back garden, pretty decent from what I can remember

53 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

I was go let this go, but i am still in a huff about Friday. 

*Their.

2 hours ago, HoBNob said:

I’ve got this one for my son

https://www.networldsports.co.uk/12-x-6-forza-football-goal-post.html?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADn0RBnWUA6SgXD9icfuBFIZchHIY&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrp-3BhDgARIsAEWJ6SzGgOP3cZhSk5rfGO8MllkcU0b7K3BAwBKHHfwB6jcGdfLEyS8S2uwaAqq6EALw_wcB

it’s pretty robust, the only downside is that the crossbar is made up of 3 pieces, so the middle bit sags a little rather than it being properly straight. It doesn’t break, though. 

My 4 year old started French Immersion Junior Kindergarten (Nursey equivalent) two weeks ago, a few rough days to start, a couple of accidents because she was too shy to ask her teacher yet. But by Friday last week it seemed liked she was really enjoying it, picking up French pretty well, and she was gutted Saturday and Sunday are days off.

Of course Saturday morning she wakes up with a sore throat and cough, two weeks was longer than I was expected before the sicknesses started to be fair. Now she's gutted that we are being responsible parents and keeping her off school one more day.  

Wee man (10 month now) was in a right state last weekend. Really bad cough and fever, hysterical screaming, nothing would settle him. Ended up taking him to out of hours Doctor. Answer more Calpol. 🙄. It did help tbf.

Horrendous you just feel helpless, can't do anything for him and he was just sitting there feeling sorry for himself. Plus you're back to newborn levels of sleep yourself.

Thankfully he's back to his happy, noisy self this week. 

I wonder if i could ask the parents of p&b to give me their thoughts. 
I have a wee boy who is 6, hes a very clever wee guy and has pretty decent patter (skipped a generation). He really loves school. He goes to a non denominational school, both the wife and I are atheists. I get that Christmas nativities happen and I was happy for him to be involved, i studied a bit of theology and find religions very interesting but have never been convinced by any faith that its real, the wife is the same. Im happy for people to have their religious beliefs, im also happy for my kid to be taught the christmas story, but I would like him to be taught about other viewpoints. Anyway, im trying to set the scene and also lay down our position, ie we appreciate freedom of expression and belief. 
The school has started a bible study club, a few of the kids in his class go. Again, thats fine, im not their parent and its not like they are in a bomb making club. But ive found out my wee guy is being proselytised to in the play ground and folks are preaching to the kids ‘there is only one god jesus christ’ etc. He’s also been pulled up for saying ‘oh my god’ (it something hes heard off you tube on a football skills video) being told hes a sinner by these kids. Now id have a problem if he was saying ‘jesus christ’ but the word god isnt owned by christianity so who are these wee kids to tell him he cant say it. The school doesnt seem to offer much in the way of alternative view points and I think its a bit oppressive to just impart one theological perspective on very impressionable kids. Part of me wants to ignore it, part of me wants to get the humanist society involved to get an atheist group started, part of me wants to contact the church of satan (apparently their education resources are great?) and the other part is thinking im going mad. 

10 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I have a wee boy who is 6, hes a very clever wee guy and has pretty decent patter (skipped a generation). He really loves school. He goes to a non denominational school, both the wife and I are atheists. I get that Christmas nativities happen and I was happy for him to be involved, i studied a bit of theology and find religions very interesting but have never been convinced by any faith that its real, the wife is the same. Im happy for people to have their religious beliefs, im also happy for my kid to be taught the christmas story, but I would like him to be taught about other viewpoints. Anyway, im trying to set the scene and also lay down our position, ie we appreciate freedom of expression and belief. 
The school has started a bible study club, a few of the kids in his class go. Again, thats fine, im not their parent and its not like they are in a bomb making club. But ive found out my wee guy is being proselytised to in the play ground and folks are preaching to the kids ‘there is only one god jesus christ’ etc. He’s also been pulled up for saying ‘oh my god’ (it something hes heard off you tube on a football skills video) being told hes a sinner by these kids. Now id have a problem if he was saying ‘jesus christ’ but the word god isnt owned by christianity so who are these wee kids to tell him he cant say it. The school doesnt seem to offer much in the way of alternative view points and I think its a bit oppressive to just impart one theological perspective on very impressionable kids. Part of me wants to ignore it, part of me wants to get the humanist society involved to get an atheist group started, part of me wants to contact the church of satan (apparently their education resources are great?) and the other part is thinking im going mad. 

As an older parent and a Christian, I'd say if your boy is as bright as you say then he'll be pretty discerning about it all. You getting involved with the school will be a right can of worms.

The OMG thing grates with me too if I'm honest. I take your point but Jesus was God in human form so it's really the same thing.

Honestly, how open minded are you? Would you be upset if he became a Christian?

ETA- not as a result of this but further down the road 

Edited by jimbaxters

I wouldnt be upset if he had his own views no. Ive always brought him up in a way where ive explained ‘some people believe this, others believe that, mum and I believe this. I want him to have a well rounded view of the world and If one day he finds something he believes in then great, so long as hes respectful of others rights to believe differently. 
Obviously kids will be kids and run and tell a teacher if someone does or says something that theyve been told is wrong, I just feel like their isnt very much balance. 

25 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Send the boy in dressed as Jesus and have him tell the other ones to give him 50 quid or they’re going downstairs. 

15 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I wouldnt be upset if he had his own views no. Ive always brought him up in a way where ive explained ‘some people believe this, others believe that, mum and I believe this. I want him to have a well rounded view of the world and If one day he finds something he believes in then great, so long as hes respectful of others rights to believe differently. 
Obviously kids will be kids and run and tell a teacher if someone does or says something that theyve been told is wrong, I just feel like their isnt very much balance. 

I think your next town over to me, there are some very preachy churches that seem to volunteer folk to do this- I'll bet it's either EBC or nazerine.

Ticks the schools engaging with community box.

As it's non dom I'd be dropping head teacher a line reminding them of this and asking what other faiths are being invited in. I've criticised in the past youth and holiday clubs where the leaflet schools handed out haven't made it explicitly clear it's being run by church. This was at Paisley school. 

Lots of positive things happen in communities because of religious organisations however I object when it's used as a backdoor to get people/children in.

39 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I think your next town over to me, there are some very preachy churches that seem to volunteer folk to do this- I'll bet it's either EBC or nazerine.

As it's non dom I'd be dropping head teacher a line reminding them of this and asking what other faiths are being invited in. I've criticised in the past youth and holiday clubs where the leaflet schools handed out haven't made it explicitly clear it's being run by church. This was at Paisley school. 

Lots of positive things happen in communities because of religious organisations however I object when it's used as a backdoor to get people/children in.

Very fair comment. Any CoS church summer clubs I've seen run have no more Christian input than a prayer or a song with the emphasis on giving kids fun. 

In this case though it does sound like a more radical type of church judging by the way the kids are talking so a quiet word with the Head wouldn't be a bad idea.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Show him this film. You can explain it scene-by-scene. It's the easiest intro into Christianity in my aethiest opinion. 😎

And you can introduce him to the gloriousness of Monty Python simultaneously.

Tell him to explain Pascal’s Wager to the other kids and see how many change their tune. 
Seriously though. Religion is always a hard one to navigate where kids are concerned. They won’t question what they’re told and if most of them believe one thing anyone who doesn’t is automatically wrong and therefore open to ridicule, although I’d think mainly without malice. 
Oh my god being criticised is a lot of nonsense. 
Telling the school does open a can of worms I think as they clearly do place emphasis on religious teaching favouring one religion.
Personally I’d let it play out for a while and see how it develops. If it’s becoming tantamount to bullying then it’s a different issue. 

3 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Send the boy in dressed as Jesus and have him tell the other ones to give him 50 quid or they’re going downstairs. 

I am going to Florida next month, I may try this myself. 

3 hours ago, RH33 said:

Yes, dont get me wrong, I know a lot of christian people and i regularly donate to the ebc, ive no problem with people doing good things for other people. Im a bit worried overall about the emergence of the more evangelical churches in this country due to their activism etc and it seems like this is the driving force in the school. It is a non dom school and I am tempted to ask about the overall structure of their rme. I think religion and the schools should be kept separate in non dom schools or delivered in a neutral manner, but its not happening.

2 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Show him this film. You can explain it scene-by-scene. It's the easiest intro into Christianity in my aethiest opinion. 😎

And you can introduce him to the gloriousness of Monty Python simultaneously.

Id worry he’d declare himself a Rutle and that he’s bigger than Tea. 

31 minutes ago, BigBo10 said:

Tell him to explain Pascal’s Wager to the other kids and see how many change their tune. 
Seriously though. Religion is always a hard one to navigate where kids are concerned. They won’t question what they’re told and if most of them believe one thing anyone who doesn’t is automatically wrong and therefore open to ridicule, although I’d think mainly without malice. 
Oh my god being criticised is a lot of nonsense. 
Telling the school does open a can of worms I think as they clearly do place emphasis on religious teaching favouring one religion.
Personally I’d let it play out for a while and see how it develops. If it’s becoming tantamount to bullying then it’s a different issue. 

Yes, i dont want to be ‘that’ parent, but i am concerned that hes been upset tonight not wanting to go to sleep because his teacher told him saying oh my god was him swearing, now this is a wee boy who knows songs with an ‘e’ on spotify should be skipped and generally has a good wee moral compass, so in keeping with that hes got himself in a bit of a state and also wonders why we arent upset with him. Its got him confused because his teacher and parents are the two biggest adult influences on him. 

57 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

. Im a bit worried overall about the emergence of the more evangelical churches in this country due to their activism etc

The amount of American money being chucked at this is astounding.  They have looked at the dive in active Christianity over the past 50 years here and are throwing a lot at trying to reverse that and it's not just a religious argument it's one aimed at throwing our society backwards where we don't allow adults have consensual relationships or let women have control over their own bodies.   They must be fought and it's concerning that it would appear that someone is targeting a school.

As for yourself it looks like you're doing the parenting part very well. Don't know what your power is to take the school on tho, every option I can come up with has a negative side too. 

Edited by parsforlife