The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

I'm actually gonna highlight this because...

1) nWo DID help in the death of WCW. Might have been because of the shitty way they were booked after a while, but that is not a slagging of them. That is basically a statement of fact.

2) Daniels is back under the mask of Suicide. Now, whether the guy writing is aware of that or not is up for debate, since it could easily be Kiyoshi. Of course, Daniels was shit in TNA for a good while.

Daniels hasn't be in TNA for a while now, it was Kaz and Kiyoshi who were using the Suicide gimmick.

As opposed to what exactly? The guy is certainly more recognizable as a TNA name than he ever was.

I think he meant the fact that AJ was the World Champion a few months ago and then he just lost the Global/TV title. I agree with him, in my eyes, AJ has slipped down the pecking order.

Back before No Surrender they had the WHC Tournament and the first round matches were; Hardy vs Magnus, Terry vs Storm, Angle vs Roode, Williams vs Dreamer, Lethal vs Wolfe, Anderson vs Abyss, The Pope vs Nash and Morgan vs Hernandez. AJ wasn't even involved. I think he was still feuding with EV2.0 at that point, which explains why he didn't progress but Dreamer was involved in that feud but was in the tournament. I'm not saying that he's below everyone in that tournament but if it had taken place a few months prior then you could've bet your bottom dollar he'd have been involved in the latter stages.

Daniels hasn't be in TNA for a while now, it was Kaz and Kiyoshi who were using the Suicide gimmick.

Daniels is definately back and using the gimmick on house shows, but didn't know if he was back on TV yet.

I think he meant the fact that AJ was the World Champion a few months ago and then he just lost the Global/TV title. I agree with him, in my eyes, AJ has slipped down the pecking order.

But again, as opposed to what? The "regime" have done wonders for AJ Styles. He has slipped down the pecking order, yes, but also in that time he has managed to make Douglas Williams look like a credible threat. That is the credibilty he now has. That was down to the Bischoff/Hogan regime.

Daniels is definately back and using the gimmick on house shows, but didn't know if he was back on TV yet.

But again, as opposed to what? The "regime" have done wonders for AJ Styles. He has slipped down the pecking order, yes, but also in that time he has managed to make Douglas Williams look like a credible threat. That is the credibilty he now has. That was down to the Bischoff/Hogan regime.

Nah, he's making his return tomorrow night.

As opposed to being World Champion, really.

He was a world champion before Hogan and Bischoff was there. Not that it meant anything of course, because TNA had no earthly idea of how to book him.

Being the champ isn't the be all and end all. As it happens, TNA have put the right guy on top with Mr. Anderson. They have him in a hot fued with Jeff Hardy. AJ Styles hasn't just dropped into the Abyss either. He has been involved on the fringes all of the time. Kind of like Cena is when he doesn't have a title main event program.

AJ Styles is booked well enough. Strong enough that a win against him means something, and a win for him is no big deal. It happens enough. Was he the champ when he looked like a tough b*****d against Tommy Dreamer? Or when he was beating Jay Lethal at the end of his run at Fortune? Or is he out of our minds now cutting promos on Bischoff? Lets not forget the fact that he was supposed to win the Global Title back anyways.

AJ Styles is in a good position in TNA. He'll be delighted that Hogan and Bischoff came in.

I watched TNA for the first time in months the other night on challenge and i really think it will be a while before i tune in again. (I read the results online so i do know what is going on)

I cant even remember how many times i have decided to give TNA another chance but i just cant enjoy it despite really wanting to

I'm actually gonna highlight this because...

1) nWo DID help in the death of WCW. Might have been because of the shitty way they were booked after a while, but that is not a slagging of them. That is basically a statement of fact.

I'm not necessarily a fan of Lethal, but the guy is over even having being handed some right shite. I'd say he's worth a shot, and was popular during the run against Fortune. I'm not sure why they didn't capitalise on that.

nWo also created WCW. nWo created the WCW that kicked WWF's ass for a year and a half. In all honesty, as cool as the Wolfpac was, the nWo should never have made it past the summer of 1998. A winner take all type thing like at SS01 should have been done. Sting, Goldberg, DDP, Flair and Giant against Hogan, Hall, Nash, Savage and Hennig would have been an ideal way to see the nWo go out. Have Hogan turn or something like that during the match, there you have it, the rebirth of Hulkamania.

Lethal is a very dull character at this point in time and I struggle to really care for his character. Get him in the X Division where he has always been and have him doing his comedy segments then I have no problem with Lethal. Lethal, from what I've seen, is pretty over in the Impact Zone, elsewhere around the country will probably be a different story.

You make some good points DomDom.

I think we can all agree the biggest issue in TNA is the booking. That tool seemed to be slagging off Hogan/Bischoff when they aren't involved in this section.

Absolutely, that's what annoys me most about TNA, they have the best roster in terms of talent that will come about in a long time yet the booking seems to constantly hold them down. That and not taking the product on the road.

What annoys me about WWE is that I know they can produce a better product, we've all seen it. I just can't watch it these days without easily predicting whats about to happen next . I watched WWE religiously from 94-05.

Daniels has been working a few matches on Xplosion under the Suicide gimmick but I think he's back on TV this week. He has a deal with TNA and ROH which prevents him from being anything other than Suicide.

As opposed to being World Champion, really.

Has the Undertaker always been in the title picture? Did he take time away to be tag champs with Kane, or in 05 with Heidenrich after being in the title picture with JBL. The Rock done the same with the Rock n Sock Connection or how about HHH with his fueds with Eugene? Top guys aren't always in the main event/ title picture.

Edited by The Hero of the Day

nWo also created WCW. nWo created the WCW that kicked WWF's ass for a year and a half. In all honesty, as cool as the Wolfpac was, the nWo should never have made it past the summer of 1998. A winner take all type thing like at SS01 should have been done. Sting, Goldberg, DDP, Flair and Giant against Hogan, Hall, Nash, Savage and Hennig would have been an ideal way to see the nWo go out. Have Hogan turn or something like that during the match, there you have it, the rebirth of Hulkamania.

I don't doubt that nWo created WCW, or at least propelled them to the masses in a big way. I'm just making the point that it wasn't really a "slagging" of the nWo, more the writers that killed the gimmick stone dead with the way they were treated. Of course the guy writing the article could have made that a bit clearer, but I seen what he meant.

Good idea for how it should have ended though.

Lethal is a very dull character at this point in time and I struggle to really care for his character. Get him in the X Division where he has always been and have him doing his comedy segments then I have no problem with Lethal. Lethal, from what I've seen, is pretty over in the Impact Zone, elsewhere around the country will probably be a different story.

I think Lethal has the sympathetic babyface thing going for him. That's why it works so well for me. Maybe if he went into the main event scene it'd be useless, but it doesn't mean he isn't worth a shot.

What annoys me about WWE is that I know they can produce a better product, we've all seen it. I just can't watch it these days without easily predicting whats about to happen next . I watched WWE religiously from 94-05.

Yup. And it isn't the PG product either. It's the fact that the writers are crap. We've seen plenty of good matches from plenty of good talent in WWE.

What WWE need is some real competition to get that edge back into them. They got some lucky breaks the last time. WCW probably helped their own downfall as much as WWE helped their own rise. I like the idea of WWE producing a new base of fans with the PG product even if that's not necessarily the reason that they're going the way they are going. It's frustrating that the older fans are being left behind somewhat and there isn't a real alternative.

Outside of ICW of course. :P

I don't doubt that nWo created WCW, or at least propelled them to the masses in a big way. I'm just making the point that it wasn't really a "slagging" of the nWo, more the writers that killed the gimmick stone dead with the way they were treated. Of course the guy writing the article could have made that a bit clearer, but I seen what he meant.

Good idea for how it should have ended though.

I think Lethal has the sympathetic babyface thing going for him. That's why it works so well for me. Maybe if he went into the main event scene it'd be useless, but it doesn't mean he isn't worth a shot.

Yup. And it isn't the PG product either. It's the fact that the writers are crap. We've seen plenty of good matches from plenty of good talent in WWE.

What WWE need is some real competition to get that edge back into them. They got some lucky breaks the last time. WCW probably helped their own downfall as much as WWE helped their own rise. I like the idea of WWE producing a new base of fans with the PG product even if that's not necessarily the reason that they're going the way they are going. It's frustrating that the older fans are being left behind somewhat and there isn't a real alternative.

Outside of ICW of course. :P

You can see why the writers kept going with it though. Like it or not, nWo was a huge marketing success and I'm sure WCW raked in a ton of cash through nWo merch.

Matt Hardy had the sympathetic babyface thing going for him 5 years ago, it didn't come to anything. You have to laugh when guys on the IWC brand Lethal "a future TNA World Champ". That's a dsigrace to guys like Robert Roode who will eventually, and deservedly so, get his chance with the TNA World Heavyweight Belt.

Absolutely, they frustrating thing is we know WWE are capable of producing a better product, the stuff on offer just now is nowhere close to what they could be doing. It doesn't even have to be edgier, WCW was PG from 96-99 if I'm correct?

I think WWE have a lot of potential with the guys they have coming through just now. Punk, Miz, Sheamus, Morrison, Barrett, Del Rio, Bryan, Ziggler, Swagger and even guys like McIntyre, Rhodes and Kingston will all be around for a long time and have already shown they can mix it with the current top guys. Add in the likes of Cena and Orton who will be around for a while and there is some good stuff to come. I don't actually think the writing has been too bad since I started watching again (circa May 2010), the Nexus stuff is great. The issue I have is with Cena constantly going over so easily. He's brilliant but I feel they limit him with such cheesy booking.

I'm looking back over the thread because I need to find ratings and came across a comment I made when Umaga got sacked. Basically I was raging that Umaga got sacked and then Chris Masters got rehired at the same time. Since then...

1) Umaga died not long after.

2) Chris Masters became one of the steadiest hands in the promotion, kinda like the Val Venis of the last couple of years.

These guys know what they're doing. :P

I think WWE have a lot of potential with the guys they have coming through just now. Punk, Miz, Sheamus, Morrison, Barrett, Del Rio, Bryan, Ziggler, Swagger and even guys like McIntyre, Rhodes and Kingston will all be around for a long time and have already shown they can mix it with the current top guys. Add in the likes of Cena and Orton who will be around for a while and there is some good stuff to come. I don't actually think the writing has been too bad since I started watching again (circa May 2010), the Nexus stuff is great. The issue I have is with Cena constantly going over so easily. He's brilliant but I feel they limit him with such cheesy booking.

At what?

He's charismatic as anybody outwith the Naitch in wrestling and he's a better wrestler than people give him credit for. He's funny and gets crowd reactions better than anyone in the industry today.

He's still a sh*t wrestler. He's funny because people want to find him funny. He get's the crowd reaction for what he has been over the past 6 years, the WWE's poster boy.

If I was the poster boy of WWE I'd bet more than half the people would cheer for me and laugh for me because of who I am rather than what I am doing currently in the ring.

He's still a sh*t wrestler. He's funny because people want to find him funny. He get's the crowd reaction for what he has been over the past 6 years, the WWE's poster boy.

If I was the poster boy of WWE I'd bet more than half the people would cheer for me and laugh for me because of who I am rather than what I am doing currently in the ring.

I would suggest he's WWE poster boy BECAUSE he's funny and he gets the crowd reactions, not the other way around.

I would suggest he's WWE poster boy BECAUSE he's funny and he gets the crowd reactions, not the other way around.

Would he have got to wear he is today with the gimmick he currently has?

The rapper gimmick got Cena over, that and the fact he joined Team Angle at Survivor Series.

Would he have got to wear he is today with the gimmick he currently has?

The rapper gimmick got Cena over, that and the fact he joined Team Angle at Survivor Series.

The gimmick he currently has catapulted him to being the out and out top dog I would say. The rapper gimmick got him over because he was good at it. He got onto Team Angle because he'd shown management he could do a job on that level.

The gimmick he currently has catapulted him to being the out and out top dog I would say. The rapper gimmick got him over because he was good at it. He got onto Team Angle because he'd shown management he could do a job on that level.

How could it not catapult him, its the modern day Hulk Hogan gimmick.