The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Jericho's new book is indeed out today! Got it earlier and have read a fair chunk so far. A very good read!

Highlights thus far include;

- His use of the word 'puss' to describe the face on page 5

- The WWE's list of suggestions as to what to call what eventually became the Walls Of Jericho (personal favourites; The Bender, Ball-Dropper, Y-2-3, The Whammer Jammer, The Embarrasser, The Party Favour, Jerichonium Of Pain)

- The revelation that WWE very nearly renamed Billy Gunn 'Billy Bitchcakes'

- How he built up massive heat in the locker room in his first few months with the WWE

- How awful it was to work with Chyna

So far it's just as good as his first book, and I'll probably finish it tomorrow because I'll be reading it so much!

Question for folk that have seen the Smackdown spoilers from last night....

With Dolph Ziggler being "fired" does anyone think that means there will be a surprise entrant in the Smackdown Chamber match and if so, who?

I think this could lead to Triple H being the surprise, winning the title and defending and losing to Taker at Mania.

I'm not sure on that, Undertaker is coming back on Raw and HHH is on Raw too. I think it will probably be Christian, possibly with him winning the title leading to Edge, Chrisitan and Del Rio in a triple threat.

The main thing I'm hoping from it is that Ziggler ends up on the big show. He's ready to main event at that level.

I'm not sure on that, Undertaker is coming back on Raw and HHH is on Raw too. I think it will probably be Christian, possibly with him winning the title leading to Edge, Chrisitan and Del Rio in a triple threat.

The main thing I'm hoping from it is that Ziggler ends up on the big show. He's ready to main event at that level.

THIS

In light of speculation of a Sting vs. Undertaker showdown at WrestleMania XXVII (thats not happening by the way!), if they were to wrestle, it would not be their first encounter.

Sting, as WCW World Heavyweight Champion, wrestled and pinned the future Deadman on September 1, 1990 in the main event at a World Championship Wrestling live event in Greensboro, North Carolina. They were scheduled for a follow-up bout the following night in Knoxville, Tennessee, but the match in Greensboro was such a disaster that they put Harley Race, at that point a generally retired wrestler turned manager, in the main event instead. Knoxville was Mark Calaways final date as Mean Mark Callous as he had already given notice to WCW officials and agreed to join the World Wrestling Federation.

It should be noted, however, that the concept of The Undertaker character was not presented to Calaway until after he signed with Vince McMahon. He stated in a 2003 interview with WWE Magazine that he was terrified that he would be hatched from an oversized egg at the 1990 Survivor Series, which had been on display at WWF events for months and heavily hyped on television, and appear as an egg man character. :lol:

The promotion was leading up to Survivor Series, and I was terrified that (Vince McMahon) was going to call me and want me to be a big egg, to shave my head and eyebrows and be egg man, Calaway said. It was definitely a relief to get the Undertaker call.

Edited by Djayict

I've already decided I'm gonna try for number 30, and also go to any ROH, Dragon Gate USA shows that might be happening that weekend too.

That would be a belter to go to, but probably a lot harder to get tickets to, since it'll be in the 20,000 seater MSG no doubt, as opposed to a 70,000+ stadium.

The WWE package deal includes tickets to Meet and Greet with 1 top superstar, Axxess, Hall of Fame, Wrestlemania and this year they included RAW. The package you can get are Platinum, Gold and Silver. Platinum gets you within the first 10 rows of seats at WM, gold further back and then silver is the first set of raised flooring or something like that. What I've gathered from a bit of research is that most of the money comes from accomodation as they put you in quite fancy hotels. Flights are paid for seperately.

Them packages sound pretty good. Any idea on the prices though? If I was going to Mania I couldnt just go and be happy in the rafters, I'd want ringside or nothing :D

The other thing with it being in Miami next year is that, you could hit a TNA event as well if you went for a week, providing they are still in business.

Fixed that for ya :P

Yeah, I now want this. But,

If it did happen I could see the Mania main event being a 4 way with Edge, Ziggler, Del Rio and Christian. It wont happen though, Christian wont be back on Sunday and even if he was, Vince wouldnt put the belt on him.

In light of speculation of a Sting vs. Undertaker showdown at WrestleMania XXVII (that’s not happening by the way!), if they were to wrestle, it would not be their first encounter.

Sting, as WCW World Heavyweight Champion, wrestled and pinned the future “Deadman” on September 1, 1990 in the main event at a World Championship Wrestling live event in Greensboro, North Carolina. They were scheduled for a follow-up bout the following night in Knoxville, Tennessee, but the match in Greensboro was such a disaster that they put Harley Race, at that point a generally retired wrestler turned manager, in the main event instead. Knoxville was Mark Calaway’s final date as “Mean” Mark Callous as he had already given notice to WCW officials and agreed to join the World Wrestling Federation.

It should be noted, however, that the concept of The Undertaker character was not presented to Calaway until after he signed with Vince McMahon. He stated in a 2003 interview with WWE Magazine that he was terrified that he would be hatched from an oversized egg at the 1990 Survivor Series, which had been on display at WWF events for months and heavily hyped on television, and appear as an “egg man” character. :lol:

“The promotion was leading up to Survivor Series, and I was terrified that (Vince McMahon) was going to call me and want me to be a big egg, to shave my head and eyebrows and be “egg man,” Calaway said. “It was definitely a relief to get the Undertaker call.”

I was thinking exactly about a previous Sting v Undertaker feud last night. Theres an Undertaker VHS tape doing the rounds from circa 2001 when he was the American Bad Ass and it shows you highlights of a WCW feud with Sting when he was known as Mean Mark Callous.

My other half never watches the wrestling other than when my mate is over to see RAW. (she usually moans through the whole thing apart from when Orton is on screen) anyway, she quite rightly hates Cena. Tonight I had the Rock return on for her as she wanted to see what the fuss was about.

First time i've ever seen her piss herself watching the wrestling and at the end of it demanded we get wrestlemania as she can't wait to see the Rock kick Cena's ass. She also commented on how she would watch it more if the catch was more along the lines of that.

How right she is!

My other half never watches the wrestling other than when my mate is over to see RAW. (she usually moans through the whole thing apart from when Orton is on screen) anyway, she quite rightly hates Cena. Tonight I had the Rock return on for her as she wanted to see what the fuss was about.

First time i've ever seen her piss herself watching the wrestling and at the end of it demanded we get wrestlemania as she can't wait to see the Rock kick Cena's ass. She also commented on how she would watch it more if the catch was more along the lines of that.

How right she is!

You got yourself a good woman there! :D

Anyway, just seen this....

Edited by KilliePie

That would be a belter to go to, but probably a lot harder to get tickets to, since it'll be in the 20,000 seater MSG no doubt, as opposed to a 70,000+ stadium.

Them packages sound pretty good. Any idea on the prices though? If I was going to Mania I couldnt just go and be happy in the rafters, I'd want ringside or nothing :D

True but the atmostphere would be electric in MSG compared to Stadiums which I don't think can generate the same kind of excitement.

Platinum package is around 1200 dollars, gold is 1000ish silver package is 700 dollars. I'm same, I would want to be pretty close to ringside too.

True but the atmostphere would be electric in MSG compared to Stadiums which I don't think can generate the same kind of excitement.

Indeed. The atmosphere for MSG shows is always something a bit special, nevermind for Wrestlemania.

I'd be happy to be way up in the tiers and get the cheapest ticket possible. f**k spending mega bucks when I'm already going to be doing so.

Finished Jericho's new book earlier. It's every bit as good as his first. It finishes with his last return (the whole '2nd coming, break the code' thing) so there could even be a third one at some point.

Best bit in the book for me was his description of his backstage fight with Goldberg. Goldberg says to Jericho, "Your mother's a goof!" and Booker T is incredulous and says something about it being the worst insult he's ever heard. It's very amusing the way it's written. I also liked when told Vince to go and f**k himself when he was the Undisputed champion, and Vince loved it!

There's a lot more out of rign stuff clearly as he was away for over 2 years. Also tackles the Benoit issue.

A very froot book and highly recommended (especially after I read that utter shite that is the Goldust book last week!) with two amusing forewards (one by Foley, one by Zack Ryder).

Edited by DA Baracus

Goldusts book is the biggest tripe I have ever read. Was one of these biographies where you just know that it isn't the author that is speaking the words. He also misses out large parts of his career and only skims the base of many issues.

I'll order the Jericho one shortly. Enjoyed the 1st one.