Livingston - all the threads merged

As much as I always love a new signing, I'd be much happier if it was a striker we were being linked with. I'd assume it would be Parkes on the way out, think he'd have no problem finding a club in EFL League 2 which could make it easier for us to let him go without a big payout. Saying that, also wouldn't see much point bringing in a 34 year old from Accrington Stanley to replace him unless it's Parkes himself pushing for the move (or someone actively wants to take him).

I want the Teto announcement so we can get a shitload of shirts sold to South Africa, only for their facebook comments to turn into hoping we get relegated when he doesn't start every game.

Edited by LiviLion

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

Was that in one of the youtube video interviews or in a print article? I missed it.

Edit: In case anyone reads the quote above and panics, the "he" refers to Obileye not Martindale himself!

Definitely in one of the Callum Carson articles. Just to clarify, he says he doesn't expect he will be here next year not that he definitely would be gone

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/livingston-boss-admits-paperwork-delay-30487319

Teto hasn't been allowed into the country, which would explain the hold up in that announcement :lol: supposedly Martindale wanted him to play against Whitburn on Friday night and against Carlisle tomorrow, but loving the idea of South Africans wondering wtf this weird Scottish man is saying

“We’ve just got to deal with it. I spent an hour on Wednesday night arguing with the South African authorities and then had to change our plans.

Not sure if the below would rule out (to an extent) chat of the defender from Accrington Stanley, would be strange that bringing in a striker (which we need) would depend on someone leaving whereas a defender (where we have a good number of bodies) wouldn't.

The gaffer admits he’s also looking to add another attacking option, but says that is likely dependant on either Esmael Goncalves or Scott Bitsindou departing the club.

Also names one of the trialists as Samson Lawal who is apparently an attacking midfielder, there was already an article that linked him to us but doesn't suggest one way or another if he's getting a contract - just uses him as an excuse of getting someone into the UK without bother.

Edited by LiviLion

I can’t see the CB signing happening. Parkes was signed as the experienced option, replacing Guthrie (who’d replaced Halkett etc)

If Parkes does leave (which makes more sense) we’ve now got Devin as the experienced CB, Obileye in his third year as a Premiership CB and De Lucas who’s fairly experienced

Is Boyes out of contract in the summer? If so, that might explain why either him or Parkes will go - punt Parkes to save wages or cash in on Boyes.

1 minute ago, Menga Bus said:

I do enjoy martindale complaining about the budget while having 8 cbs on the books

And here's Michael Nottingham incoming

South Africans on Facebook will be going mental when it's not Teto

23 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

And here's Michael Nottingham incoming

South Africans on Facebook will be going mental when it's not Teto

Of course the fact that they put the "M" and "N" in bold might be a bit of  clue? Marco Negri must be getting on a bit now?

10 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

Last year too many left backs, this year too many centre backs. It worked last year so I can't be too scathing, but it looks insane from the outside.

Going to be playing a back 3 by the looks of it right enough, which makes a difference on how many we need. Versatility is always good in a Livi team too, and he can play as a DM. I still think we've only one stick on starter in the back three, Devlin, so hopefully Nottingham is good enough to make that two. 

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

3 hours ago, The Wrong Car said:

I can’t see the CB signing happening. Parkes was signed as the experienced option, replacing Guthrie (who’d replaced Halkett etc)

If Parkes does leave (which makes more sense) we’ve now got Devin as the experienced CB, Obileye in his third year as a Premiership CB and De Lucas who’s fairly experienced

Is Boyes out of contract in the summer? If so, that might explain why either him or Parkes will go - punt Parkes to save wages or cash in on Boyes.

Shows what I know! 

On the positive, it sounds like he’s essentially Obileye’s cover. Given we’re 3 at the back now that leaves

RCB: Devlin/De Lucas

CB: Obileye/Nottingham

LCB: Boyes/Parkes

If Parkes does leave, Sangare and Kelly can still cover LCB

On the negative, Martindale’s comments about him at RWB are a bit worrying. I’m still hoping a starting RWB is brought in, even if it pushes Welch - Hayes out on loan.

Looking forward to the Aberdeen game where we have a 34 year old, 6”4 RWB, Steven Bradley playing a false 9 and club captain Sean Kelly at CM! 

9 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

Shows what I know! 

On the positive, it sounds like he’s essentially Obileye’s cover. Given we’re 3 at the back now that leaves

RCB: Devlin/De Lucas

CB: Obileye/Nottingham

LCB: Boyes/Parkes

If Parkes does leave, Sangare and Kelly can still cover LCB

On the negative, Martindale’s comments about him at RWB are a bit worrying. I’m still hoping a starting RWB is brought in, even if it pushes Welch - Hayes out on loan.

Looking forward to the Aberdeen game where we have a 34 year old, 6”4 RWB, Steven Bradley playing a false 9 and club captain Sean Kelly at CM! 

Interesting how we've been switching players into various positions during pre season games, and in our opening Group stage cup game. Montano has played on both wings, so has Brandon. Nottingham looks like he can play in the centre of a back three, or on as a RCB, or even a RWB, or DM.

One thing we're crying out for is a settled starting XI though, esp in defence, so not sure having players jumping around in various positions is going to help get us a solid defence. Last season we had the same problem, with not having a settled partnership, and players getting to know instinctively where one another would be. 

42 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

On the negative, Martindale’s comments about him at RWB are a bit worrying

I don't know why Martindale always says new signings can play multiple positions when they can't. The chances of Nottingham playing a position other than centre back for us are slim.