Livingston - all the threads merged

4 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah but he wasn't playing as an attacking midfielder, def his best position. Kelly is prob our best player though, and if a choice between the 2, then it has to be Kelly starting.

I actually think we'll be better once Nouble is gone, Nouble at his best is fantastic, no question, but when was the last time we saw him at his best. I just don't think he's fully committed to playing for us, with a move being talked about so much. 

Dunno why we aren't starting Brandon as RWB, he always looks better playing there when he comes on, and Montano is best playing on the left.

Agree with all of this, however the idea of Bradley, Kelly and Anderson up front against teams where we can attack is fairly exciting

Brandon's a strange one - he's done well in pre-season, not picked for the League Cup games yet made a difference from the bench. Without a right footed RWB the team becomes incredibly narrow

Nouble's in the odd situation of playing in a formation that's designed to not include him. He's best out wide, however this new formation forces him into a CAM role, or a CF role, neither of which works. 

7 hours ago, LiviLion said:

First half was still a bit slow but once we got going in the second half it was much better, passing was a lot slicker and we had a good bit more urgency. Thought Shinnie was excellent and Ayo, despite the usual brain fart or two, made a couple of very good tackles just as Cove were about to score. Good to see him and Parkes on the scoresheet too. Don't think it surprised anyone to see Kelly strolling it when he came on, two lovely goals which were worth the drive up.

Not getting carried away though as its only Cove, and compared the other League 1 teams we've played (albeit 2 were friendlies) I thought they were very poor in comparison.

Actually felt a bit sorry for Guthrie, thought he was finally going to get his goal but I think he's trying too hard for it - there was a point where he took a nice touch to set himself up for a half volley, turned and rattled it out the stadium. Maybe being too kind to him but I'm happy to put it down to him overthinking it and being desperate for the goal that he just tried to thump it. In addition to that he had a header cleared off the line. Obviously take the opposition into account, but hopefully him looking less useless than usual these last 2 games could get a bit of interest in him, or better yet he grabs a goal against Clyde and the confidence has him finding some excellent form.

Guthrie scored v Dundee United last season I'm sure

33 minutes ago, Chuck Blazer said:

Scoring vs Birighitti surely doesn't count?

I don't think it was Birighitti that played in goals that day...sofascore has it as Montano scoring but I'm sure it was Guthrie with a header past Eriksson 

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I don't think it was Birighitti that played in goals that day...sofascore has it as Montano scoring but I'm sure it was Guthrie with a header past Eriksson 

100% was Guthrie. I mainly remember it because he signed the day or two days before the game. I remember thinking he looked decent too :D 

Scoring past a guy that can't beat Birighitti to a starting spot isn't saying much either to be fair

Guthrie scored in his first game for us but cant remember who that was against. as I recall the ball virtually bounced off him and into the goal.

I remember Montano scoring against Dundee United in our first league game last season away at Tannadice.

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Guthrie scored in his first game for us but cant remember who that was against. as I recall the ball virtually bounced off him and into the goal.

I remember Montano scoring against Dundee United in our first league game last season away at Tannadice.

It'll have been the league cup game against Dundee Utd, midweek at home

8 hours ago, ATLIS said:

It'll have been the league cup game against Dundee Utd, midweek at home

Actually that makes sense; although I couldn't remember the opponents I do recall I was watching it from the south end of the West Stand rather than my usual seat which would imply it was a cup game.

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Yep

image.png.bc5416a5698579972739e04912670954.png

For me this was worse than the ICT cup loss. You can almost accept a team in a lower league raising there game and getting a freak result. And despite the performance against ICT being worse than this game Dundee Utd were completely in the dumps after the early season clusterfuck of bad performances and sackings and yet we lost to them. 

8 minutes ago, DavideFernandezLoveChild said:

For me this was worse than the ICT cup loss. You can almost accept a team in a lower league raising there game and getting a freak result. And despite the performance against ICT being worse than this game Dundee Utd were completely in the dumps after the early season clusterfuck of bad performances and sackings and yet we lost to them. 

I remember Fletcher playing a blinder in this game and thinking that if they could keep him fit then there was no way they were going down. And that Guthrie looked like a great signing, did he not almost score a backheel at one point in this game?

2 hours ago, thruthenight said:

I remember Fletcher playing a blinder in this game and thinking that if they could keep him fit then there was no way they were going down. And that Guthrie looked like a great signing, did he not almost score a backheel at one point in this game?

Can remember him doing a back heeler towards goal, but thought it was against Hearts and Craig Gordon being his usual self, managed to save it. But i wouldn't put my house on it.

Martindale did one of his overthinking it specials for that Utd game, being far too passive till it was too late. Though looking at the squad for that game, no Anderson, St Kelly, or Bradley, and Goncalves started, being replaced by Guthrie. Cancar, Bitsindou and Guthrie were on the bench, only decent attacking option from the bench was Penrice, maybe explains why we got beat. 

Yeah i know, it's pretty sad, but i had a look on the OS archive and yep, it was the following game, in our 1-0 win against Hearts.

image.thumb.png.96ff7e1b0af14f72c94e2b80efa1eed2.png

Maybe Craig Gordon broke him, he'd just scored his first goal against Utd, then almost scored a 2nd against Hearts, who knows, that may have had him on a roll scoring for fun. Gordon did the same to Ayo, saving a penalty, up till then Ayo was scoring from the spot, but he's missed a few since and looks shot of confidence. Can remember Gordon psyched him out, not moving while Ayo did his wee staggered run, and waited till Ayo hit it then went the right way.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

3 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Can remember him doing a back heeler towards goal, but thought it was against Hearts and Craig Gordon being his usual self, managed to save it. But i wouldn't put my house on it.

Martindale did one of his overthinking it specials for that Utd game, being far too passive till it was too late. Though looking at the squad for that game, no Anderson, St Kelly, or Bradley, and Goncalves started, being replaced by Guthrie. Cancar, Bitsindou and Guthrie were on the bench, only decent attacking option from the bench was Penrice, maybe explains why we got beat. 

To be fair Bradley didn't sign until January didn't he? :D 

17 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Would any of you know if the goal fest this afternoon is being streamed?

thanks.

The club aren't offering a stream but there may be one available on the usual sources

A bit of a slog but we got there, and Accies drawing with Cove made it a good day all round, seeing us top the group.

Like the look of Nottingham, some size of a player, and made good runs down the wing, working well with Brandon. Certainly balances up the right side with Montano or Penrice on the left. Thought Penrice did well 2nd half switching to the right wing right enough, but would still rather have Brandon playing there.

We're through anyway, 100% record qualifying from the group stages.