Livingston - all the threads merged

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Like the look of Nottingham, some size of a player, and made good runs down the wing, working well with Brandon. Certainly balances up the right side with Montano or Penrice on the left. Thought Penrice did well 2nd half switching to the right wing right enough, but would still rather have Brandon playing there.

If you remember home matches in the 18/19 season, Gallagher used to be really adventurous from right centre back whereas Lithgow was much more conservative at left centre back. We might see a repeat of that with Nottingham regularly overlapping his wing back down the right but Devlin rarely doing so on the left. That'd allow Penrice to cut in from right wing back how Lawless used to in 18/19. Montano looks so much more comfortable and effective at left wing back. I hope he's kept there and its Penrice or Brandon on the right.

30 minutes ago, Chuck Blazer said:

Going into the draw unseeded and getting Ayr at home seems pretty kind.

Easiest group we've ever had, and now the best possible draw, at home, from the remaining seeded teams, it has certainly gone our way this season in the cup draws.

Just need to win our game now.

Favourable draw but I hope the Inverness debacle last season will keep us humble before this game. Akheem Rose will have a point to prove after the trial with us and Murphy and McGeady (if fit) are good players.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

Presumably it depends on departures. On that note, I notice Bahamboula hasn't made the last few squads - is he injured?

I'd still like to see a natural RB brought in, or at least see Brandon given a chance. The last two home games have seen his introduction improve the team.

Another CF would be nice, however Guthrie's recent performances may have swayed Martindale towards keeping him on

Interesting that Martindale said he could only afford to bring in one player at the moment unless Someone moves on.

As someone already mentioned both Teto or Lawal were in the stand on Saturday. Bahamboula and, perhaps more surprisingly, so was Bitsindou who was there to hand out his signed shirt from last season to the sponsor. No sign of Goncalves though.

29 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

Another CF would be nice, however Guthrie's recent performances may have swayed Martindale towards keeping him on

Didn't want to say it too loud but I've been a lot more impressed with him so far - level of opposition might be swaying that though.

A good few players have needed time to settle in before coming good so I'm hoping he'll have a better time of it this season if he's staying, but would still like us to bring in someone else seeing as it looks likely we could have both Anderson and Guthrie on the pitch at times with one playing in behind.

8 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Didn't want to say it too loud but I've been a lot more impressed with him so far - level of opposition might be swaying that though.

A good few players have needed time to settle in before coming good so I'm hoping he'll have a better time of it this season if he's staying, but would still like us to bring in someone else seeing as it looks likely we could have both Anderson and Guthrie on the pitch at times with one playing in behind.

I have to agree; chalk and cheese from the guy how fell over a lot last season and got sent off for a moment of silliness.

The level of effort he puts in and the way he was winning everything in the air; surely the boy must get his goal soon?

Just now, LiviLion said:

Guthrie appears to be benefitting from having a strike partner in Anderson. Too often last season he was isolated and left chasing lost causes which isn't his game as much as it is Anderson's. With Kelly and Pittman also playing closer it could bring out the best in Guthrie. Saying that, there's also the chance it's due to the level of opposition but I'm ever the optimist

9 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I'm sure he's played in a friendly already so it will have been sorted I'd imagine

I don't think he has considering he only got into the country after the cup games started. Even if he has, he could play as a trialist without a deal in place

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I don't think he has considering he only got into the country after the cup games started. Even if he has, he could play as a trialist without a deal in place

He can't play as a trialist without a visa though, nor can he train. That's what's pointing me towards it being sorted and it's just the final stuff getting sorted out. I think there's an intermediary visa that allows him to do that, which we use with others players. It was that one we couldn't sort in the first place.

Sure i read Teto is here on a holiday visa, and once in the Country Livi would need to get proper documents sorted and a work permit. Martindale saying it's easier to get everything done once he's in the Country. It may still take a while though, the Govt aren't the quickest at getting back to Football clubs for paperwork being done, and there will be a wait everytime we send them documents, waiting on them getting back to us for the next step. The Club wont announce anything on the website till everything is through, and it becomes official.

On Guthrie, part of the problem last season, was not playing him properly, he was too similar in a target man role in those St Mirren and Motherwell games, in that it was two big guys doing the same thing (even though Nouble is a better player). We needed Anderson as a more mobile player playing off him. He does win a lot of headers, and has shown decent hold up play, to knock the ball on to runners, but we really didn't set ourselves up to make the best use of him. Yes he wasn't very good either, but it wasn't helping, playing him as a target man, with him knocking the ball on, and nobody was there running onto it.

Also needing to play Nouble on the wing if he's still here, and leave Anderson in a No9 role.

2 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Yeah he hasn't, Martindale was planning to play him in a friendly but it didn't happen because SA didn't let him travel to Scotland.

Teto was due to feature against Whitburn on Friday night and in a closed door friendly with Carlisle United in St Andrews tomorrow but hasn’t been able to enter the country.

Speaking to the West Lothian Courier, Martindale commented: “We usually get them a professional sportsperson visa that gets them into the country for a month and then we deal with the biometrics and work permit when they’re in the country.

Here's the bit i was talking about earlier, he's in on a Tourist Visa.

“Eric, his academy coach, speaks very good English and they’ve been staying in a hotel for five days in Johannesburg. They’re now waiting on tourist visas being rubber-stamped and then when they’re in the country, we can get him a work permit.”

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Interesting in the post Clyde match interview, Martindale saying Bruce doesn't always do enough in attack, but then he always pops up and scores a goal when he's in this kind of form. Yet he was continually being subbed off for Guthrie coming on last season. Hopefully we keep him on the pitch for full games more this season, because he's a good bet to score a goal if the ball just drops to him around the box.