Quick Question Thread

Guest The Phoenix

Never really got into it,although the kids loved it. Im more of a Frasier man(so to speak).

I've never watched either.

I'm more of a short span of concentration man unless it's sport.

Guest The Phoenix

if you drank the concentrate from which most orange juice is derived, would your arsehole close forever?

Nah, just a half day on Wednesdays.

Lots of talk of redundancies at work (local government) - what's the usual pay out if the worse happens?

One of the lads told me its a weeks wage every year you've been working at the office? Does this sound about right?

Roughly speaking, yes. It also depends on age (as it supposedly takes you longer to find a new job when you're older). It's 0.5 weeks' pay for each year up to the age of 21, then 1 week for each year from 22 to 40, then 1.5 weeks for each year from 41 up. It's capped at a weekly wage of £380, which is pathetic really. So if you're exactly 24 and you've worked there for 3 years on a wage of £400/week, you'd get:

0.5x£380 for the year you were 21

1x£380 for the year you were 22

1x£380 for the year you were 23

which comes to a stunning total of £950.

Bear in mind:

- this is statutory minimum - many employers will offer more.

- you're only entitled to statutory minimum redundancy after 2 years of service.

- redundancy pay of up to £30k is tax-free (although pay in lieu of notice and back holiday pay are not).

Hope that helps, and that it doesn't come to that. Redundancy is horrible - happened to me just over 2 years ago.

Lots of talk of redundancies at work (local government) - what's the usual pay out if the worse happens?

One of the lads told me its a weeks wage every year you've been working at the office? Does this sound about right?

Have they trawlled the over 50's?

If I have been given a c1000 word essay to write, how much can i go over? My conclusion and introduction will take up nearly half that on their own if theyre any good.

10%?

1000 words really isn't a lot.

If I have been given a c1000 word essay to write, how much can i go over? My conclusion and introduction will take up nearly half that on their own if theyre any good.

I was told for History/Politics that is was 10% initially. However my History tutor is marking my essay for History and he is allowing us to go over by another 700 words max :D He doesn't believe in marking us down for going over word limits.

I would say about 10% too, but would advise you to cut the introduction and conclusion down a bit, writing 250 words on each is a bit pointless in a 1000 word essay.