Quick Question Thread

My Grandad played Junior Football back in the 1960s, it was a really big deal back then. I have no idea what the standard of football was back then, but it couldn't have been half bad. He played in the 1964 Junior Cup final which pulled in a crowd of 40,000 odd or something.

Goes to show how much the game in Scotland has declined over the years - at all levels.

My Grandad played Junior Football back in the 1960s, it was a really big deal back then. I have no idea what the standard of football was back then, but it couldn't have been half bad. He played in the 1964 Junior Cup final which pulled in a crowd of 40,000 odd or something.

Goes to show how much the game in Scotland has declined over the years - at all levels.

To say that football, at all levels, used to get bigger crowds because the game was of a better standard in the past is a lazy stereotype which blatantly ignores the larger issues of economy, social movement, urbanisation and the modern day increase in alternative leisure facilities.

Guest The Phoenix

To say that football, at all levels, used to get bigger crowds because the game was of a better standard in the past is a lazy stereotype which blatantly ignores the larger issues of economy, social movement, urbanisation and the modern day increase in alternative leisure facilities.

Said in true Ad Lib fashion but minus the fourteen paragraphs of tedium.

:thumsup2

I can see that there's going to be differing viewpoints on the subject, but as most people recognise, Junior football is absolute horseshit.

The last time a Junior side came to the SHS, it was Clydebank in a friendly a couple of years ago. The game itself was awful, we were pretty poor, but there was very little quality in Clydebank's play. We certainly weren't great (but then again I'm not making claims about how good the football is at our level), but does it not speak volumes about the quality, just how many players either come from the Juniors to the Scottish Leagues and then back rather quickly and how many players play Senior football for lengthy spells (sometimes without much achievement), then go junior and are raved about for how good they are? Surely that shows something...

I am not going to get into an arguement with you and your views (very presumptious of you to say most people) but is the second paragraph of your post what you base your opinion on - a recent game involving your team and Clydebank?

And as for basing a view on the juniors on one game involving Vale of Clyde......... Mind you, that was from a Clyde fan and he'll be used to silky football. I've watched football at every level from SPL, Premiership, Portuguese League, SFL, junior and amateur, and believe me there are amateur games better than the SFL. Some teams in the SFL are there only because they can't be thrown out.

Take some time out, watch some of the West Superleague (BTW Coyne plays in the East and I have not watched any of the East Leagues) and when you have, come back and tell me it's not as good as the SFL.

In the meantime I look forward to Clydebank humbling the Sons next pre season. Again!

When Clyde were away at Brechin one week I decided to take a wander down to watch Vale of Clyde. Whilst it was great that you could stand at the football, have a beer and a cigarette, the standard of football was nothing short of horrific. I also witnessed one of the worst offside decisions probably ever seen in history, with a guy getting flagged on, despite being at least five yards offside.

Junior football and Junior match officials = shite.

Cardross = bedwetter.

Wouldn't surprise me if someone Down South right now was having this same discussion but about the SPL instead. Clyde in comparison would be attrocious yet you still go to their games. Up here, it pisses me off when Old Firm fans laugh down at fans other teams for being shite when they're own side are shite compared to the majority of Premiership side. It's all relative.

The juniors are pretty poor though. Some so called senior sides are even worse though. Compare the recent Culter v Partick and Airdrie v Gala cup games (even if they were both freak results)... and what's wrong with Brechin away?! :P

Guest The Phoenix

The reality is that compared to Barcelona, all other clubs perform to a lower standard.

How lower is a matter of personal opinion.

For me, however, it's not about the standard of football, it's about the passion you have for the Club you support.

With several Stirling Albion matches having been postponed recently, I've attended a couple of Stenhousemuir matches against other second division opposition. I was bored rigid by half time because I couldn't care less about the outcome. That and of course the small matter that currently Stenhousemuir are playing a lower standard of football than Stirling Albion. ;)

The reality is that compared to Barcelona, all other clubs perform to a lower standard.

For me, however, it's not about the standard of football, it's about the passion you have for the Club you support.

With several Stirling Albion matches having been postponed recently, I've attended a couple of Stenhousemuir matches against other second division opposition. I was bored rigid by half time because I couldn't care less about the outcome. That and of course the small matter that currently Stenhousemuir are playing a lower standard of football than Stirling Albion. ;)

This is, of course, very true. However, passion for one's team shouldn't blind someone to the truth of their team's abilities.

An excellent point and probably why the Junior Forum is one of the most followed and posted in forums on here.

Unintended echo I'm sure.

With sport in general, I also need a side to support or I lose interest very quickly. In the absence of any team loyalty, I often find that sticking a >£10 bet helps the situation considerably.

I am not going to get into an arguement with you and your views (very presumptious of you to say most people) but is the second paragraph of your post what you base your opinion on - a recent game involving your team and Clydebank?

Not at all. It was merely a response to the musings of Cardross about 'the next time Junior side comes to SHS'. I've seen a fair share of Junior football and that forms part of my opinion on the matter.

And as you say, we're not going to argue, but I find it highly unusual the number of players who either go from Juniors to Seniors and back, or start senior and can't 'cut it' so-to-speak, and then are then far from short of admirers in the Juniors? And yet, some people are claiming the standard in the Juniors is higher?

I memory serves me correctly, I don't think so. I think up until 11am it will be their 'breakfast menu'.

I've asked a few people about this and that seems to be the stock answer. However, I've definitely had 'normal' BK food before the train to Everton games (albeit at Central, not Queen Street)

I've asked a few people about this and that seems to be the stock answer. However, I've definitely had 'normal' BK food before the train to Everton games (albeit at Central, not Queen Street)

Fudge, how easy is it to get to Everton games from Glasgow by train? What's the set-up, do you have to change anywhere or is it direct to Liverpool? How much does it cost?