Quick Question Thread

Mind that old meme about Michael Caine always saying "not a lot of people know that"? Where did that come from? They'd always have him parroting that line on Spitting Image, but it was around before that, and I can remember him eventually getting pissed off about it for some reason. Hadn't thought about that in decades, but it just jumped into my head and figured the P&B hivemind might know!

Edit: never mind, just answered my own question  :rolleyes:

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

Living in Glasgow, I've been applying for jobs here and got an enthusiastic phonecall from their HR department enquiring whether I'd be up for an interview a few days ago. He asked if next Wednesday at 10am was okay. I said it was and he has just emailed me the details, and the interview would appear to be in Aberdeen. Actually, not even in Aberdeen - about 10 miles outside. 

Is it reasonable to ask for a Skype interview instead of me getting up at 6am in the pissing morning to sit on a train / in a car for 3 hours and then repeat the whole process on the way home, solely for a first interview?

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

19 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Living in Glasgow, I've been applying for jobs here and got an enthusiastic phonecall from their HR department enquiring whether I'd be up for an interview a few days ago. He asked if next Wednesday at 10am was okay. I said it was and he has just emailed me the details, and the interview would appear to be in Aberdeen. Actually, not even in Aberdeen - about 10 miles outside. 

Is it reasonable to ask for a Skype interview instead of me getting up at 6am in the pissing morning to sit on a train / in a car for 3 hours and then repeat the whole process on the way home, solely for a first interview?

In general - yes.  The impression I get is that most 1st interviews are phone/Skype/online assessments and they hold 'proper' interviews for shortlisted candidates.

BUT if it's your dream job, pays plenty and seems a good company to work for then I'd make the trip.

9 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

In general - yes.  The impression I get is that most 1st interviews are phone/Skype/online assessments and they hold 'proper' interviews for shortlisted candidates.

BUT if it's your dream job, pays plenty and seems a good company to work for then I'd make the trip.

Cheers Kincardine... the job is doing really boring stuff for a very dull company (just like every job ever). And they asked me my minimum salary requirements over the phone which I'm guessing is the exact figure they'd arrive at as my salary. Which boils my piss even more than a needless trip to Aberdeen. 

38 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

15 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

The modern world scares me. If the job is in Glasgow I'd guess the interview location is to weed out the not very enthusiastic. But most jobs I've got have been from a tip from a man in a pub, so what do I know. Seeing your reply to Kinky I'd ask for the Skype option or expenses for an overnight in Aberdeen. There's always a chance they'll take you more seriously and offer a decent wage. Or more likely they'll tell you to f**k right off, which by the sounds of it would maybe be for the best.

Living in Glasgow, I've been applying for jobs here and got an enthusiastic phonecall from their HR department enquiring whether I'd be up for an interview a few days ago. He asked if next Wednesday at 10am was okay. I said it was and he has just emailed me the details, and the interview would appear to be in Aberdeen. Actually, not even in Aberdeen - about 10 miles outside.  Is it reasonable to ask for a Skype interview instead of me getting up at 6am in the pissing morning to sit on a train / in a car for 3 hours and then repeat the whole process on the way home, solely for a first interview? 

Don't know if it's a mentality you inevitably acquire whilst living in Aberdeen, but a return trip to Glasgow should not be some form of serious hardship, never mind for a job interview. Folk here can easily do that trip just for a midweek show at the Hydro for example, something to seriously bear in mind when dealing with Aberdeen-based recruitment staff.

21 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Don't know if it's a mentality you inevitably acquire whilst living in Aberdeen, but a return trip to Glasgow should not be some form of serious hardship, never mind for a job interview. Folk here do that trip just for a show at the Hydro for example. Something to seriously bear in mind.

They're obviously just grateful to be returning to civilisation.

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

First impressions, the fact that you took the interview so seriously to travel to the interview speaks volumes on it's own!

And secondly, I'd have possibly tried to get a slightly later time for the interview by using the time and length of the journey as a valid reason to do so. Always nice to get a much sleep before that important interview.

1 hour ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

Do washing machines live longer with Calgon ?   

If that was a serious question then yes, but only if your water supply is not soft water like most of Scotland's water supply.

Calgon is to break down lime-scale deposits from hard water like most water supplies down south where it has chalk/lime molecules in the solution. If Calgon is used regularly in chalky water supplies it helps stop lime-scale build up which does build up if your water supply is chalky.

The real question I would actually ask?, why the fucking hell are people in Scotland actually buying Calgon for their washing machines when there is no lime/chalk in our water supplies? Fucking minters. :lol:

Cheers for the responses lad. Just to make it clear, I had no aversions about going to Aberdeen if it was necessary - it just struck me as not being necessary at all. 

Turns out that they made a mistake and the interview is in Glasgow. So I'll have to wait for another opportunity to revisit The Silver City by the Golden Sands :lol: (Hegecutter - have you been editing Wikipedia again?!).

If someone wanted to break the World (well, British) record for the fewest votes cast for a party in the General Election ... they might call their party the "Don't Vote for Me" party - and their manifesto would simply be that they want no votes so they can break the record. 

In that event, how many people do you reckon would vote for them just out of spite?

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

10 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

If someone wanted to break the World (well, British) record for the fewest votes cast for a party in the General Election ... they might call their party the "Don't Vote for Me" party - and their manifesto would simply be that they want no votes so they can break the record. 

In that event, how many people do you reckon would vote for them just out of spite?

Probably about 5 million. We got Alexandra Burke sent to Peterhead FFS.

6 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Probably about 5 million. We got Alexandra Burke sent to Peterhead FFS.

Wow. That's a lot! Anybody want to be sign up? Just send me the £500 deposit and go back to your constituencies and prepare for government. 

Just now, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Wow. That's a lot! Anybody want to be sign up? Just send me the £500 deposit and go back to your constituencies and prepare for government. 

@Ad Lib can help you out with advice on deposits.

ETA - not so much on governing though.

Edited by Rugster

18 minutes ago, (._.) said:

I find it utterly despicable that folk don't share the pride and joy I expel when I am telling this story. 

I also die a little inside whilst telling it.

Those f***ers at Waves FM decided to claim the credit for themselves.  Started pushing it with just a few weeks to go and "hurrah, we won, aren't we are amazing?!!".

At least we all know the truth though.