Quick Question Thread

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

As a general rule, higher levels require more people skills.  This is where the lying comes in again. 

The Alan Partridge one-upmanship by saying "I've got 104 friends*" is bound to work here.  Also tell them one of them is a work-Geordie (or perhaps Weegie) and although he is a close friend, you successfully manage to command a level of overlordship over him. Very important skill for any level of management. 

*Very, very important to establish that these are proper friends and not half-arsed 'we met on holiday' Facebook ones. 

Take some shortbread and flask or tea, nobody has every refused this combo.

Add a little flavour to the tea. Speed as someone has already mention then take the Cardinals advice sit back have a wee chat.

They will probably forget there was anyone else for the interview.

Tip be the first in...

Other flavours are available.

Eccies. Expect a good hug at the end.

Coke. Expect they will be telling you how great they are.

Trips. Expect the unexpected.

2. Best bit of advice ... ask lots of questions. I'd rather employ someone who was competent and keen to learn than someone who could do it in their sleep. Think up as many questions as possible and don't wait until the end to ask them. Instead, turn the interview into a chat. They'll typically start with a "Tell me why you want this role?" or "Tell me more about yourself?" type question ... when you've answered accordingly, make your last sentence a question ... e.g. "will there be an opportunity to learn x in the new role?" ... this makes it clear that you have finished your spiel (without a slightly awkward .... "errr. that's it") ... and puts the impetus back on them. Again, this makes it more like a normal conversation rather than a one-sided interview, and help alleviate any misconceptions that you're "too quiet"

That’s a belter mate. Cheers [emoji1303]

That’s a belter mate. Cheers [emoji1303]
To further expand on something Cardinal has already said, it is a very handy skill to be able to take an awkward question and gradually as you are answering it bend it round into something you have an example of. Think about it during interviews. Not as blatant as a politician refusing to answer a question, just try to direct it into something you are comfortable with

Need a recommendation for taking a 16 and 17 year old pair of girls out for their tea in Edinburgh on Saturday. Nothing too flashy but quite impressive non the less. Grassmarkety or somesuch preferred.

Spoiler

It’s my niece and her mate who are up from that London and I’m chaperoning them to the Edinburgh University open day, before you start.

Need a recommendation for taking a 16 and 17 year old pair of girls out for their tea in Edinburgh on Saturday. Nothing too flashy but quite impressive non the less. Grassmarkety or somesuch preferred.
Spoiler It’s my niece and her mate who are up from that London and I’m chaperoning them to the Edinburgh University open day, before you start.

You really should know better than to ask here.

19 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Reveal hidden contents

It’s my niece and her mate who are up from that London and I’m chaperoning them to the Edinburgh University open day, before you start.

hqdefault.jpg 

Spoiler It’s my niece and her mate who are up from that London and I’m chaperoning them to the Edinburgh University open day, before you start.

Just delete the post, those of us who have quoted you will delete ours. We will all pretend this never happened and you can endeavour not to be so silly next time

17 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

It’s a serious question. I need to take them out. It’s likely the wife and bairn may be in tow however the lassies need to be entertained.

Hey Barry from EastEnders....hey Ray McKinnion..... Rangers.....3......Rapid.......Vienna.........1 

Lovely stuff.

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

It’s a serious question. I need to take them out. It’s likely the wife and bairn may be in tow however the lassies need to be entertained.

Said the Defendant as he was dragged out of Court....

bbc.jpg

7 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Reveal hidden contents

http://www.theoutsiderrestaurant.com/

This ^^^ is right next to the Elephant Cafe, where people queue for hours to sniff the seat where JK Rowling used the free WiFi and wrote Harry Potter.

The menus burn a bit easily (see out of the mouth of babes thread) but the food is really superb.

And I’m sure the staff won’t judge you.

7 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Reveal hidden contents

Is there really no-one else that could take them, there must be? Roy Whiting, Angus Sinclair...Gunther?

There's 2 guys on the train playing a trombone and an accordion to try make a few quid it seems. They're playing cheery, catchy stuff, but I don't know whether to go along with it and give them a coin for their troubles or to jump off the next stop and top myself.

20 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

There's 2 guys on the train playing a trombone and an accordion to try make a few quid it seems. They're playing cheery, catchy stuff, but I don't know whether to go along with it and give them a coin for their troubles or to jump off the next stop and top myself.

Surely that’s not allowed on a train and they should be band !

I’ll get ma cost