The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just wondering what season ticket sales will be like for next season. There is some negativity towards the Rovers commercial department but the Roaring Back campaign last season was fairly effective (until it bit us in the bum the week before the end of the season). Anything around 1000 has to be seen as a success IMO.

Football is a simple game.

Ayr we’re one of the few teams with players names in their tops, and they ended up being promoted.

Names on tops is only required in the top 2 leagues. Proof that if you think big and it will happen.

Edited by Beastie Russell
Being thick

1 minute ago, Beastie Russell said:

Football is a simple game.

Ayr we’re the only team with players names in their tops, and they ended up being promoted.

Names on tops is only required in the top 2 leagues. Proof that if you think big and it will happen.

Stranraer didn’t get promoted...

Just wondering what season ticket sales will be like for next season. There is some negativity towards the Rovers commercial department but the Roaring Back campaign last season was fairly effective (until it bit us in the bum the week before the end of the season). Anything around 1000 has to be seen as a success IMO.

I'd hope we can get around the same amount as last season. It'll be really interesting to see if there will be some form of campaign to try and get some kind of positive spin on the manager staying etc. I'd hope so, I think there's no better time to get people behind a club than when there's a chance of winning a league. Look at Hibs and how they went up with so much feel good factor and support. The Roaring Back campaign wasn't a bad idea but again I think it was poorly executed and could have been done a lot better. It always comes down to money though and unless we see investment in the commercial departments then we won't see new and exciting marketing strategies to encourage people to spend some money on a season ticket.

6 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Stranraer didn’t get promoted...

Oh didn’t realise Stranraer did it too, must be a South West thing.

re sales department, they should be bringing in at least 4-5 times their salary, in line with sales people in other industries.

Edited by Beastie Russell

We have Smith and we have full time football, wether that will be to the same extent as this season or if it will be on a much tighter budget  i dont know.

What has to happen is a clear out on the player front. We have a core of a team that has been regressing over the last few seasons when it comes to it they have no bite and cannot win when it matters. Winning teams get there cone hell  or high water they don't make excuses about being unlucky or coming so close they get the job done especially when it's there on a plate. There is a losing/negative  mentality and it needs to go.

The style of play has to change especially if Vaughan and Buchanan stay the former has become greedy on the ball but then he has been the only regular goal scorer and creative spark for half the season. The latter has provided a poor fucking return in no small part as a result of how the team has been set up and how they play. 

I would hope Smith knows his job is on a shoogly nail and will implement a few more tactics and actually play to strengths and style as a plan a.

The fitness and conditioning has to improve as well.

Only time will tell.

In terms of the who stays who goes....

I think both keepers have their flaws, but then again, in league 1 you're probably going to get that! Ideally I'd like to see us sign someone new, but if its a choice out the 2 we currently have, I'd see Lennox as more of a long term prospect - trouble seems to be keeping him fit.

I wouldn't change much about the defence. We had the second best defensive record in Scotland conceding 32 goals (Celtic 24). 

Davo had an excellent season, and from those we signed last summer,  Murray was probably the stand out. Bene is still an excellent player and I'd still have him starting! Thompson's best years are past him, and he is certainly better going forward than he is at the back, but his goals were important... He's one I'd prob keep another season, but wouldn't be overly fussed either way. McHattie could be a good player, but just can't seem to get a break with his fitness, and with the budget as tight as it is, we can't afford to keep a player who is going to miss 6 months of the season.

Midfield is where we need the most improvement. Robertson stays, but I wouldn't be in a rush to keep anyone else. Barr has been little better than average for 18 months now, Matthews hasn't kicked on, Herron apart from 2 games I was never convinced with, and Zanatta & Hendry will obviously head back to Hearts and Celtic.

Upfront was a weird one - on paper, we had strikers capable of tearing up that league, and who'd done it the previous season, and yet neither seemed to work. I'd maybe give Spence another year, can't make up my mind over Buchanan - Vaughan you'd keep in a minute (although for the benefit of his own career its probably time he moved on and made the step up) Furtado looked ok when he first joined, but then was very quiet.

Obviously haven't seen anywhere near as much of Raith as their fans, but from the outside all this 'total clearout needed' seems way over the top. You got 75 points, if you achieve anywhere near that next season you will win the league. Ayr are being replaced with Brechin, plus you'll have either Alloa or Dumbarton, both I'd expect would be around the play-offs, but not getting 76 points like Ayr this season.

Surely all that is needed is to more or less keep the 'tried and tested' which has got you to 75 points, and just make a few minor improvements in areas that Smith must have identified. If you rip the whole thing up and start the squad from scratch I think that's a pretty stupid move. You were one goal away from winning the league, it's not like you are a disaster all season.

If Smith is staying on as manager then the squad needs changed drastically. I would get rid of all the more experienced players that are out of contract and keep only the players from our own youth system. There are clearly bad attitudes in our dressing room for the team to fall so much over the last two seasons and fail to perform for 3 consecutive managers.  Perhaps Smith should also be allowed to bring in an assistant/coach of his own choosing. Robertson and Cuthbert could be let go to fund this? 

Edited by RR #1

Who said it was a joke ?

I doubt you have wit to make a remark like that as a socioeconomic comment!!!

Go on , admit it you thought you were being a funny c**t with your remark, but it was both tedious and crass as well as being unfunny, all traits that point to the majority of your posts, If I'm being honest!!!

2 hours ago, GhostZapper said:

failure of this stature....? Its not like we've been relegated and keeping his job!

Obviously we never got relegated but it has the same feeling as the end of last season. At the end of the day we are stuck in league one the vast majority of the fans are seriously unhappy that he kept his job. Poor tactics, football, team selection no plan b sticking by players who weren't on form shocking away form and a team that failed to beat allo a five times.

6 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

I doubt you have wit to make a remark like that as a socioeconomic comment!!!

Go on , admit it you thought you were being a funny c**t with your remark, but it was both tedious and crass as well as being unfunny, all traits that point to the majority of your posts, If I'm being honest!!!

Get over yersel 

We need two new goalkeepers. Smith is a car crash and Lennox - when he was fit, which wasn't that often over two years - didn't look outstanding either.

As for defence, I'd be happy enough with the central defenders: Benedictus, Murray, Davidson and McKay, albeit Smith didn't seem to fancy McKay all that much. Expect we may lose on of the other three though. The two full backs need moved on.  Jason Thomson has been a fantastic player for us and scoring 7 goals from right back is not to be sniffed at, however he's not as quick as he used to be, and his defending was always on the weak side. Kevin McHattie has barely been fit and never showed much when he was. Should never have been re-signed in the first place.

Midfield needs a total re-work. It's about fitness in the middle and consistency out wide. I think John Herron when fit is a decent player, but we saw that for maybe three games all season, with a tight budget we need someone else in there. Lower league Scottish midfielders tend to come in two types, the can't run-tidy pass variety, and the athletic water carrier type. I think we need one of both to give us a way of re configuring the midfield in game if necessary. I'd keep Scott Robertson. We also have Ross Matthews who never got going this season. Hendry will be gone anyway, same as Zanatta. Barr is a total fucking shitehawk who needs punted.

Up top, we've apparently got Vaughan and Buchanan under contract, but you wonder if one or both might leave if it brought in money for the former, or free'd up money from a contract for the latter. Having said that, I like Buchanan as a footballer but we've been awful at getting the most out of him. Spence I feel sorry for, he's not obviously fast, or strong or skillful but returns a decent number of goals at every club bar ours. I wonder if he needs to be more the main focal point to get the most out of him. Furtardo I had great hopes for, but he's dropped off badly. Still the only guy we've got who can beat his man from a standing start. One way or the other, if Vaughan and Buchanan are around next year we definitely need someone with a lot more height and strength, and possibly someone with a lot more pace as well.

So, I make it, 2 keepers, 2 full backs, 2 central mids, 1 winger if we keep Furtardo for the other side, 2 strikers.

Did you ever actually explain/ acknowledge the whole Martin nonsense? If not I think you should. It's impossible to take you seriously.

Seconded. 
[mention=72021]SuperHans[/mention] is often worth reading but you can't help but get sidetracked by the whole Martin carry on. 

What’s the back story here lads?

As someone who was punching the air with glee when Yogi was appointed i can’t claim to be an expert in managerial appointments. There is no guarantee that some of the names being muted ( Duffy, Lennon etc) would be interested in the job so why not for once try to create some level of consistency at the club. I’m sure Barry will, like all of us in our jobs, review the situation and identify where the errors took place. We amassed a points total which would ordinarily have won the league so he didn’t do too much wrong. Yeah the football was uninspiring but I’m content to give him a chance to put it right. Wouldn’t you be looking for similar backing from your employer. I await with interest the players who will be released and retained. I may alter my opinion at that point. COYR.