The New Raith Rovers Thread

28 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Fair play to Val McDermid for removing her sponsorship so swiftly.

It would be nice if Gordon Brown would release a similarly scathing statement.

Will be interesting. From my memory of the Reclaim the Rovers stuff Sim and Brown at least knew each other fairly well in some capacity before this, tempted to say old school friends or something. I’m think it was maybe even Brown who got Sim on board.

Edited by Enigma

9 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

No. I’m unlikely to stop supporting Rovers. I get the outrage - although like most things on here these days and on Twitter - it’s completely hysterical outrage. Give it a week or two and these same people will be outraged about something else

I would rather we hadn’t signed him as this will just alienate a large chunk of our fanbase, but we have. I would have thought the previous alarm shown by fans in December was the end of it, but no. Maybe the club will reconsider if enough fans pull their support.

😂 there’s hysterical outrage for you.  P&B style. Red dots. That’ll show me. I should just give up supporting Rovers, force the club to shut down and take up bowls. Not resigning from all things Rovers equals being pro-Goodwillie.

Wonder how long the hysterical shrieks and resignation letters will go on for?

46EC9771-5883-4107-8643-5F25671293B2.png

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

😂 there’s hysterical outrage for you.  P&B style. Red dots. That’ll show me. I should just give up supporting Rovers, force the club to shut down and take up bowls. Not resigning from all things Rovers equals being pro-Goodwillie.

I mean, yes, you'll literally be contributing to his wage. That doesn't mean you support what he did, but it means you're willing to turn a blind eye to it and decide it's less important than his footballing ability.

Edited by Dunning1874

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

You club have signed David Goodwillie and your main concern is receiving some red dots on Pie and Bovril. Class.

1 hour ago, Double Jack D said:

Possibly, but that's not my interpretation.

To be honest I'm not that fussed about what Falkirk fans feel and don't really feel like a debate on that, that's for them to justify to themselves. I've got much bigger footballing concerns this morning....

We don't have to justify anything as we didn't sign him. No amount of projection will allow you to transfer some of this onto us.

I know we have some royal roasters among our support but the Rovers fans have been more split on this than I thought possible.

Telling.

Goodwillie was on trial at us not long after our 2014 cup win. From memory he went to Aberdeen instead, but I always remember being very uneasy at us potentially offering him a contract, and that was before the civil case.

Can’t see where the board have decided this is a worthwhile investment, but it’s certainly moronic.

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

We don't have to justify anything as we didn't sign him. No amount of projection will allow you to transfer some of this onto us.

I know we have some royal roasters among our support but the Rovers fans have been more split on this than I thought possible.

Telling.

Ours would have been as bad, if not worse. When the rumours were circling about there was a fairly high percentage all for it. So, we’re certainly not immune to having awful people among our supporters. Thankfully those people will be disappointed this morning.

7 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

You should show the women in your life this post, see what happens.

I'll be there to cheer him onto the pitch tomorrow.

Even better, we'll see if the woke brigade on here quit as promised [emoji4]

I’m putting point-scoring, patter and wisecracks aside for a minute here, and ask you this:

Please, explain how people are being ‘woke’ about this?

if he'd shown genuine remorse there could, maybe, possibly be a case for rehabilitation.  that's a more difficult question and whether rehabilitation should include being able to enjoy a career in professional football is another thing. Not for me.  Never happened, just a smug rapist.

Feel for the victim today above all.  No winners in this.

Well said Val McDermid today.

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Goodwillie was on trial at us not long after our 2014 cup win. From memory he went to Aberdeen instead, but I always remember being very uneasy at us potentially offering him a contract, and that was before the civil case.

Can’t see where the board have decided this is a worthwhile investment, but it’s certainly moronic.

He'd be found guilty of other offences including assault at least twice before the rape case. Anyone that tries to come out with the old deserves a second chance pish he's on about his fourth.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Man, what a mess this is. Went to sleep before this was announced last night but woke up during the night and actually checked my phone to see if anything had come of it.

And there it was.

I just don't understand what McGlynn and the board are thinking here. Even from a solely football perspective there are question marks over this deal given his age, but when you consider the baggage that comes with it, it's just utter, utter madness. Especially given the backlash a few weeks ago.

Then you read posts from lifelong supporters saying they won't be back, and see sponsors withdrawing from the club. How can we press the self destruct button like this? I can't say enough how sad it is that people have been put in this position.

I've no intention of stopping going, but the whole situation is deeply uncomfortable. Going to the football is supposed to be a release, not some horrible moral dilemma.

Lastly, there's the announcement last night, with no acknowledgement at all of the issues this would cause. Utterly pathetic.

Totally scunnered by us doing this.

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

moral dilemma

Is there a moral dilemma? 

Fund an arrogant, abusive, rapists wages or not.

Plenty other more deserving football clubs in the local area go to then for your release.

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Even from a solely football perspective there are question marks over this deal given his age, but when you consider the baggage that comes with it, it's just utter, utter madness.

Agreed. I know you guys put a lot of faith in McGlynn (rightly so) but his judgement has to be questioned here from a football perspective

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I've no intention of stopping going, but the whole situation is deeply uncomfortable.

I have to say I would struggle to attend games if he was playing for us. Football is meant to be 2 hours of forgetting about all the shite that may be going on everywhere else in your life or the world in general. The thought of even trying to celebrate any part that c**t plays in any success my team had would make me sick.

Will he even be that good on the park? I’ll watch whatever lower league content I can get, he scores some great and clever goals but he looks quite laboured and not up to par fitness wise. I’m really not too sure he’ll even do that well, and at 33 years old too... 

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He'd be found guilty of other offences including assault at least twice before the rape case. Anyone that tries to come out with the old deserves a second chance pish he's on about his fourth.

I read the entire case last night after it was posted on this thread.

Even if you believe that he and Robertson did not rape the woman (Due to either (a) Goodwillie’s sex with the victim was consensual, or (b) Goodwillie/Robertson were themselves too drunk to appreciate that the victim was too drunk to consent), at the very least it is acknowledged that he drove from Bathgate to Stirling at 5am just hours after leaving a night out when he had a skinful to drink.

That meant he willingly risked the lives of hundreds of road users and that in itself is not ok.

From reading the case I also believe that Goodwillie was significantly more at fault than David Robertson.