The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

At least have it blue rather than black / slate grey as it is in that mock up pic.

And as an aside, I'd have put Kilmarnock or Dundee United instead of Cove Rangers as the next home game, just to create a wee bit of seethe.

Celtic B would have done that quite well for myriad reasons. I think it’s more a case of showing possibility versus reality.

The photo of the cladding does give the stand a fresher look but I'm more in agreement with the poster who said the historical aspect should be kept, there aren't many Archibald Leitch stands left. If we do change it I'd prefer some thing much more radical. I recall talk a few years ago of extending the main stand backwards towards Pratt St and making it two levels.  This was so that hospitality numbers could be increased upstairs and there would be more space for better facilities on the lower level.  I liked the idea but felt that it was pie in the sky thinking given our financial state. Perhaps instead of metal cladding solar panels should be fitted?

Starks Park's main stand is an early 20th century creation not designed to cope with the needs of a 21st century football club. At the end of the day you can only do so much, in an ideal world Rovers would build something brand new and purpose built. However that's not going to happen so the board need to eek out every inch of room available  to increase revenue.  Another plan was to extend the toilets in the south stand to double the width and either move the 200 club in there or create a fan bar there, this would mean halving the number of toilets available and potentially causing issues when crowds were large.  I'll be interested to see the plans when they get released.

54 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Perhaps instead of metal cladding solar panels should be fitted?

In the plans shown at the meeting last Thursday there were indeed plans for solar panels to be installed on the main stand roof. I think the claim was this would have us nearly, but not quite, self sufficient when it came to electricity. I think the main stand heating was mentioned to be gas which would be replaced with electric too.

Edited by Enigma

18 minutes ago, Enigma said:

In the plans shown at the meeting last Thursday there were indeed plans for solar panels to be installed on the main stand roof. I think the claim was this would have us nearly, but not quite, self sufficient when it came to electricity. I think the main stand heating was mentioned to be gas which would be replaced with electric too.

You could generate a decent triboelectric effect from harnessing all the sweetie paper rustling in the Main Stand.

A small thing in the grand scheme of things but if they are planning to refurbish the exterior of the main stand I hope they have plans to get rid of that boufing sky blue roof.

I'm genuinely impressed that there appears to have been a significant detailed look at what is required to improve the clubs infrastructure.

My favourite commitment is the free under 12 season ticket. Guarantees that I will be purchasing 4 Season tickets next season for me and the kids. Should mean that any kids playing for the community club at 2012's or younger will be able to get a season ticket. 

This is the future player, supporter, groundsman, director, Raith TV volunteer, 50-50 seller.... the absolute lifeblood of the club.

Exciting times to be a Rover...

Personally think it looks sleek and modern which is what’s required, The current main stand I cannot stick and if the takeover didn’t go ahead you imagine what state the ground would eventually end up like , Whos paying for the renovation work The consortium, John Sim or both ? It would be like renting a property out and the Tenant fits a bathroom , kitchen , central heating and still paying the rent 

17 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

What would you prefer? It's an eyesore at the moment. 

To be fair, my son said something similar when I showed him the new proposals for the Main Stand. Made me think, as my first impression was that it looked good. New isn’t always better. The current white and blue facade that’s currently there is what we know. That’s what represents Raith Rovers to those driving past. On reflection the new facade just looks like something I would expect to see in an industrial estate, albeit with a new big screen and some new badging (which to be fair, would be an improvement). If you took down all the current advertising boards, you’d likely get a similar effect from decluttering the frontage.

IMG_8327.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

To be fair, my son said something similar when I showed him the new proposals for the Main Stand. Made me think, as my first impression was that it looked good. New isn’t always better. The current white and blue facade that’s currently there is what we know. That’s what represents Raith Rovers to those driving past. On reflection the new facade just looks like something I would expect to see in an industrial estate, albeit with a new big screen and some new badging (which to be fair, would be an improvement). If you took down all the current advertising boards, you’d likely get a similar effect from decluttering the frontage.

IMG_8327.jpeg

You make a good point @Scary Bear but the costs of constantly having to get that repainted every couple of years could be spent elsewhere by putting a long-lasting weatherproof cladding on it. It is facing the sea and takes the brunt of the weather so the cladding makes sense, just as long as they put back a Turnbull Hutton Stand sign on there I am happy with the changes

19 hours ago, foreverarover said:

What about doing the silly thing with all this refurbishment and have us in the north stand. Utilise the stupid portacabin as a bar if we can close it off to the pitch side. 

It’s something that should be seriously considered. 
I was in the north stand for the 4-4 Hamilton game a couple of years back and it’s a better place to watch football from.
The stadium looks better from that end as you’re looking at the main stand and not an empty section. You get a little bit of warmth from the sun. 

But most importantly for me, the overflow into the Railway stand could be used for home fans. 
There are probably lots of logistical reasons I’m not thinking about which make it a non-starter but I’d like to switch. 
When I started going some time in the mid-eighties home fans were in the North end so there’s precedent. 

Solar panels and electrifying the heating in the main stand is a brilliant idea if we're planning to do it and can make it work with the age and layout of the main stand. The investment should pay for itself quickly and make good financial sense in the long term. Showing we can generate most of our electricity ourselves from renewable sources will be great publicity for the club as well.