The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Usually by this point there's rumours floating about so I'm quite surprised isn't a name which has come up given Murray said it's almost been a couple of weeks they've been in negotiations. 

As unlikely at it seems to me, Considine was mentioned again today. 

I haven’t seen any of the games so far until today, so have no idea how quick Dylan Corr is, but based solely on today’s showing I hope we are going to get a centre half with a bit pace about them. I think I’d beat Watson in a foot race. 

It’s been a strange pre season. The calibre of opposition meant that we didn’t really get out of 3rd gear. I’d have liked us to have played a premiership standard side just to give us a bit more of a test.

The new signings all seem to have fitted in well. The only one I’ve been slightly disappointed in has been Smith. I think if and when we have a full squad to choose from, it’ll be hard to see where he fits in.

If we can get another centre half in, even if it’s another old timer like Considine, we won’t be far away ne t season.

Edited by Jilted John

14 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I think you can only play three games as a trialist?

Certainly used to be the rules. You'd have to think if he was getting a contract it would have been done by now. I haven't seen any of the friendlies this summer but based on last year, I'd hope we could do better. 

I’m betting if we get one in it’s either a DM or LB. I think the preferred CB ship has sailed, and IM will wait for loans to open up as long as Dick can optionally play CB rather than being required at LB.

19 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I think you can only play three games as a trialist?

3 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Certainly used to be the rules. You'd have to think if he was getting a contract it would have been done by now. I haven't seen any of the friendlies this summer but based on last year, I'd hope we could do better. 

Correct, three “Official Matches”, whatever that’s defined as.

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

It’s been a strange pre season. The calibre of opposition meant that we didn’t really get out of 3rd gear. I’d have liked us to have played a premiership standard side just to give us a bit more of a test.

The new signings all seem to have fitted in well. The only one I’ve been slightly disappointed in has been Smith. I think if and when we have a full squad to choose from, it’ll be hard to see where he fits in.

If we can get another centre half in, even if it’s another old timer like Considine, we won’t be far away ne t season.

Was thinking about this earlier. The pars will have played the St Pauli, St Johnstone and have Hearts tomorrow before us. You’ve got to think that’s better than Linlithgow, Montrose, Kelty and EF in terms of truly seeing where you’re at. 

3 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Was thinking about this earlier. The pars will have played the St Pauli, St Johnstone and have Hearts tomorrow before us. You’ve got to think that’s better than Linlithgow, Montrose, Kelty and EF in terms of truly seeing where you’re at. 

It doesn’t really matter about the calibre of the teams. As long as players get a run out. Getting spangled by Premiership opposition isn’t great for confidence. Just now we’re in the competitive phase next week, we can hopefully focus and up the gears. 

If we’d played 3 Premiership sides and been skelped in them all you’d have folk saying that we must now have no confidence and would've been better playing lower level opposition. Cannae win. 

1 minute ago, ScottishLoon said:

Hello rovers fans we've had Luke mahady on trial and I'm curious as to what the situation or his development was like with him before he was released?

Mahady barely got a kick for us. He went out on loan and was fairly unspectacular from that I gather. 

3 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

Hello rovers fans we've had Luke mahady on trial and I'm curious as to what the situation or his development was like with him before he was released?

He was only involved In 12 games on loan to Cowdenbeath and 2 in some form for us, he was on loan to Burntisland Shipyard where he rarely featured.

3 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

Never kicked a ball for us, tbh. Which on the face of it is not a glowing reference.

2 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Aye his stats weren't great reading, he played in our friendly today and looked tidy technically and has a bit of a  presence but did also seem a bit sluggish with his work rate at times for someone only 19 year old.

30 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

I'd be surprised if he has a career in football ahead of him. There's young players who will show glimpses of talent but he wasn't one of them Imo. As others have said, he didn't play much for us though. Iirc he was at Celtic boys club before mcglynn signed him for us.