The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Been going too long said:

Do you think if we run with those 4 players at CB that it’s good enough to finish in the playoffs? I don’t tbh 

No, because Im concerned about LB and CB depth. I think Watson or Dick plus Corr or Masson could get us to the playoffs, but with the likelihood of missed time due to injury, I'd like another CB in at a minimum...but I'm OK waiting to see who is not going to get playing time above us and is willing to go on loan to showcase their abilities and/or get more time. If its young kids available on loan, I'd run with those four and strengthen LB while keeping the ears open for a disaffected aging CB.

Ideally, if Corr is the preferred starter, I'd love to have the bodies to loan Masson out until December to get him playing time so we know what we've potentially got...especially with Corr on a one year deal.

Gave up on friendlies years ago as they can be a glorified kick about. As others have said, we’ve had great pre-seasons then been garbage when the season kicks off and vice versa. We’ll only know from when things get going properly, but seen enough decent moves and goals in the highlights to be encouraged going forward. Sounds like the defence needs strengthened but hopefully we can do that and be much more competitive than last year. I’m choosing to believe that under the new owners we’re entering an early 90s like golden era again, at least until Saturday night. 

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

For me, the League Cup group stage comprises of glorified friendly matches. 

The early/mid 90s are here until at least the first league fixture. 

Problem is, progression from the group can carry significant financial gains that can impact bringing extra players in.

3 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Problem is, progression from the group can carry significant financial gains that can impact bringing extra players in.

I agree, although the whole thing just feels unserious and a bit crap. 

22 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Yeah, and it basically makes next Saturday a must-win, for both sides. The winner of that game has a good chance at progression, but the loser has almost no chance. 

1 minute ago, da_no_1 said:

"Must-win" 😆😆😆

Nae pressure on match day 1 then

Not wrong though. It doesn't matter if your first game is a loss to a bottom 6 top tier team or one from the non league, the set up of the competition makes it very tricky to qualify after it.

We've only made the second round once, and from that we knocked out Aberdeen at home then played Celtic away. It's almost feels like nobody is ready for the start of it, yet there's loads to play for with it.  

I don't think the pre-season matches have given us much reason to either get carried away with optimism or to be overly concerned with how we'll get on. 

Based on yesterday, I think that when Hamilton is fully fit Gullan will play on the left. He was a clear upgrade on Smith when he came on. 

Although we don't exactly need wide players, I would be tempted to keep tabs on the progress of the East Fife no 11 this season. He's got a bit of attitude but looked like he had some ability to back it up.

33 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

99a6636c-6585-4a7d-8741-d466028d34a4.thumb.jpeg.00826982796ab85e8c7a814255586c97.jpeg

This sounds like the new defensive addition will be Brody Paterson, doesn’t it? 

Not sure how I feel about the use of “Vonny” throughout the article either. Vaughany, surely? 

The full article.

Ian Murray hails Raith Rovers strike duo and give injury updates (thecourier.co.uk)

47 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

99a6636c-6585-4a7d-8741-d466028d34a4.thumb.jpeg.00826982796ab85e8c7a814255586c97.jpeg

Not sure how I feel about the use of “Vonny” throughout the article either. Vaughany, surely? 

It could be Patterson but on the other hand it could be the other 2 names mentioned previously Considine or Euan Murray as both still with clubs and maybe waiting for their releases just have to wait and see I guess 

52 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Mentions a "new face" might that not mean it's not Patterson, 

I agree I don't see what the issues would be signing Patterson, he's basically a free agent although under contract. Our need to sign a CH is more important. Euan Murray and Considine fits the bill for me, both left sided CHs, both under contract. Still not overly  keen on Considine due to his age.

3 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

I agree I don't see what the issues would be signing Patterson, he's basically a free agent although under contract. Our need to sign a CH is more important. Euan Murray and Considine fits the bill for me, both left sided CHs, both under contract. Still not overly  keen on Considine due to his age.

Paterson might be holding out for a pay-off from Hartlepool to be released from his contract, otherwise he could stay there and pick up a wage until this time next year for doing nothing. His agent will tell him to sit tight and wait for them to make the next move.

22 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Neither are basicly free agents. Issue is players will want something for leaving a contract early, Hartlepool will most likley be higher payers than we are.

Both aren't left sided centre halfs only Considine would bbe considered a natural left sided centre half. the Rat is right footed.