The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Thought the Albion defence and 'keeper played very, very well tonight. The' keeper was motm for me. 

If gullan is playing, then he needs to played as a lf similar to how dunfermline played mccan on Saturday. He is not a penalty box striker. He has a good, powerful shot on him and is decent at running direct at players. Mullin getting motm for scoring the goal sums up our support. He hasn't done hellish much in the two games iv seen him play, but he scored a goal so gets motm. For the stick iv seen dabrowski getting from some people, he did what he needed to well tonight. Once we got the goal, there was no doubt we'd win. Bevan looked good for Albion and the defence and 'keeper as I already said. On to Kilmarnock where we will hopefully have a few more bodies available. 

Directors and their guests gave him motm, 100% should've been Stanton 

10 minutes ago, Chrisrush1471 said:

Directors and their guests gave him motm, 100% should've been Stanton 

Doesn't bode well if they seen him as motm... 

Joke obviously, but I didn't agree with gullan as motm on Saturday and I didn't agree with mullin as motm tonight. 

Thought the Raith TV commentary was very kind to Albion Rovers, that was still about as one sided a match as you could expect to see.

That said, the obvious issues remain obvious - whilst the Albion Rovers goalie had a great game and all that, we just didn't feel anywhere near threatening enough.

Said it a million times already, but our season looks like its almost completely dependant on Hamilton being consistently fit and available - as well as finding the form he has shown in this league previously.  The attacking players on the pitch tonight will not score enough goals for us to be successful in this league.  We needed an abundance of possession and opportunities to score 2 goals tonight, which could almost be a direct copy and paste for a number of post match assessments last season.   

Still, its a positive day.  The signing of Murray means that we can say the squad is starting to move forward a bit from last season - I'd be surprised if anyone thinks we haven't obviously improved the back line.  

Edited by CALDERON

Mullin was poor, aside from his goal and Smith next to anonymous. Stanton was our man of the match without doubt. Vaughan is a greedy wee sod at times too, far too many squandered opportunities due to the wrong option. 

This 2 up top, 3 in behind park can get in the bin too, makes the top end way too congested at times. Once we played the ball faster, we got options, something we didn't do first half. 

Well thar was very poor. We lacked pace, height and Mullin is definitely not a winger. Took his goal well but never wanted to take on his man. 

We were playing last seasons worst senior team who by all accounts signed 8 players in the last 24 hours. Yes their keeper played well but we are a team that is meant to be going for top 4 in the Championship. I take it if we ever get our injured players back the 3 kids are out on loan as they never got a look on tonight.

Tonight I though Corr was okay at times  but his distribution was terrible. Vaughan full of running but no end product. Gullan I like just isn't a number 9.

For me the jurys still out on Smith and Mullin. Neither appear to have pace I was hoping they had.

1 minute ago, raith1974 said:

Well thar was very poor. We lacked pace, height and Mullin is definitely not a winger. Took his goal well but never wanted to take on his man. 

We were playing last seasons worst senior team who by all accounts signed 8 players in the last 24 hours. Yes their keeper played well but we are a team that is meant to be going for top 4 in the Championship. I take it if we ever get our injured players back the 3 kids are out on loan as they never got a look on tonight.

Tonight I though Corr was okay at times  but his distribution was terrible. Vaughan full of running but no end product. Gullan I like just isn't a number 9.

For me the jurys still out on Smith and Mullin. Neither appear to have pace I was hoping they had.

But apart from all that negativity and aside from the fact we won 2-0 when other senior sides came a cropper tonight in this stupid competition setup, you're happy enough and definitely not pishing your breeks?

Did the folk who thought Mullin was going to be standing his man up and then rinsing him to the byline watch a single minute of him v us for Ayr? That’s not his game. His dead ball and delivery on the other hand are on a sixpence nearly every time. 

Vaughan’s miss in the second half is the worst miss I’ve ever seen at Stark’s Park. Unbelievable. 

5 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

But apart from all that negativity and aside from the fact we won 2-0 when other senior sides came a cropper tonight in this stupid competition setup, you're happy enough and definitely not pishing your breeks?

Do you really think that was a good performance. Did anyone get pass marks. Yes we won 2 nil against a team put together on the last 24 hours with kids. Yes we are missing players but that was very poor.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Did the folk who thought Mullin was going to be standing his man up and then rinsing him to the byline watch a single minute of him v us for Ayr? That’s not his game. His dead ball and delivery on the other hand are on a sixpence nearly every time. 

Vaughan’s miss in the second half is the worst miss I’ve ever seen at Stark’s Park. Unbelievable. 

To be fair, most of his corners in the first half were shite....

Just now, raith1974 said:

Do you really think that was a good performance. Did anyone get pass marks. Yes we won 2 nil against a team put together on the last 24 hours with kids. Yes we are missing players but that was very poor.

I thought we laboured a bit and made harder work of it than we should have, but still absolutely dominated almost the entire match tbh.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

To be fair, most of his corners in the first half were shite....

Dabrowski looked more assured tonight, 100% saved our blushes at 0-0 by flying out to close the angle.

Stanton a clear MOTM performance, constantly winning back possession, starts attacks and just a nightmare for opposing teams to play against - has to be a starter for me. A bad day for him is a 7/10.

Easton & Vaughan are clicking and clearly on the same wavelength. Constant lovely one twos and they look like they enjoy playing together.

A fully fit squad and our bench will be incredible for this level. 

Gullan/Smith/Mullan/Connolly/Ross/ Vaughan/Easton/Stanton some nice options depending on how Murray wants to play. 

Watson/Corr/Masson and now Murray gives us some cover with Dick who can also slot in. 

I think in a weird way tonight will be an exaggerated version of how the season could pan out without Hamilton up top. The crosses and corners into the box are markedly better this season already and lots of loose balls around the box…we simply need a fit Hamilton on the pitch. 

Just need to be a bit quicker. Too many times the ball can go out wide instantly but for no reason at all players were taking extra touches. 

Thought Mullin was quite good 🤷‍♂️

Yes he didn’t take on his man, but his play style is more Beckham. Won’t beat his man, but gets his head up to get the ball into the box. He did this quite a lot. If we were a bit more potent in front of goal he could have had a couple of assists. Took us goal well too. But everyone see’s things differently. 

Had enough chances to actually win about 4 games. But there we go. No competitive game now until a week tomorrow so hopefully a rest day which could allow some players to get some rest. 

Strange how we didn’t use any of the young boys at all tonight too. 

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This.  When Connolly gets back we now have two different types of wingers, Connolly who is happy to run at people, and Mullin is the one who's more about getting space and sticking crosses in.  He put in some cracking crosses tonight, just a pity that having Vaughan in the middle trying to get on the end of most of them was never going to work too well.

Just now, raith1974 said:

Did anyone get pass marks? Really? I'd offer up Stanton, for a start. 

Chill oot man. Or buy more knickers.