The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

There is probably a middle ground that needs to be hit I think. Every club in Scotland is a selling club, even the big two bags of shite in Glasgow need to sell to progress. There is no other sustainable way to run clubs at a profit, hell even running at a breakeven level is tough if you want to be ambitious. At our level its shorter contracts which means we need to get players that almost immediately have a chance to show what they can do and earn the club some money where possible after one or two seasons.

That is more of a lottery with younger players, which is why we've not had a lot of success. On the flip side, we've been pretty risk averse to putting young players in and giving them time to improve and grow, thats mainly because of where we were in the league last season. Had we bit flitting around mid-table I suspect Corr, McGill and McNeil would have had a few more opportunities to impress and improve. 

Don't disagree - I think there is a market for us to pick up other teams academy players at 18/19/20 ala Regan Hendry and play them then sell them. I'd see that as being our best entry point in the market.

It's tough for us though, we are trying to win a very competitive league.

A reserve team/full time youth set up is an expensive business. We are living within our means at the moment but we do have some very expensive bills heading our way due to the ground. 

The cladding and some internal work are happening this summer. 

The north and south stand still have some expensive repairs outstanding as far as I'm aware. 

If we are successful we will have to shell put for a new pitch and then find/build somewhere for the community foundation. 

I think it's wise to put any reserve team on the back burner for the time being. 

12 minutes ago, pub car king said:

A reserve team/full time youth set up is an expensive business. We are living within our means at the moment but we do have some very expensive bills heading our way due to the ground. 

The cladding and some internal work are happening this summer. 

The north and south stand still have some expensive repairs outstanding as far as I'm aware. 

If we are successful we will have to shell put for a new pitch and then find/build somewhere for the community foundation. 

I think it's wise to put any reserve team on the back burner for the time being. 

Yeah, every time it rains my knee spends 90 minutes being waterboarded from the leaky roof.

14 minutes ago, Pride of Fife said:

Will be sad if Lewis Strapp leaves the Country

Always enjoyed watching a ‘Strapp on Dick’ challenge.

I'll be quite happy knowing he's away to take half an hour to plod across a pitch for a long throw in some other country tbqh.

30 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I'll be quite happy knowing he's away to take half an hour to plod across a pitch for a long throw in some other country tbqh.

This, was very irritating the amount of time he used to take, when you add that on to Morten players kicking 7 bells out of everyone then complaining when they were caught out for time wasting it's easy to see why they are an unlikeable side (just the current edition) 

Just now, Kirkcaldybanjo said:

Thought the cladding of the main stand was starting last Monday.I past yesterday and nothing started yet.

The work for the external cladding starts later this month according to Barrowman here https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/on-the-up-raith-rovers-acting-like-a-premiership-club-in-waiting-says-ceo-andrew-barrowman-4659195 

2 hours ago, Pride of Fife said:

Will be sad if Lewis Strapp leaves the Country

Always enjoyed watching a ‘Strapp on Dick’ challenge.

Some tackle that 

10 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

Pretty uninspiring for the Townies.. Strapp is a downgrade on Edwards and Quitongo is much a mucho for Jakubiak.

Edwards was rightfully voted into the Toty last year, we aren't going to get anyone better and I'd be very surprised if we even get someone on par. Instead we'll need to hopefully just get someone quite good and change the shape of the team, hopefully. In that regard Strapp or McMann would be about as good as we're going to get outwith an unknown entity coming from outwith Scotland. 

9 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Edwards was rightfully voted into the Toty last year, we aren't going to get anyone better and I'd be very surprised if we even get someone on par. Instead we'll need to hopefully just get someone quite good and change the shape of the team, hopefully. In that regard Strapp or McMann would be about as good as we're going to get outwith an unknown entity coming from outwith Scotland. 

You sound pretty uninspired...

9 hours ago, pub car king said:

…but it was a stated goal for this last season and then next season…

Not saying it’s either right or on, but noting.

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

Was it?  They've always said they'd like to have one in place at some point but they've also been very clear that it's a huge undertaking and would need more staff, etc.  I don't remember them ever saying they intended to have one in place for a set date, just that it was something they'd be working towards.

Murray talking about it in the Courier in November;

“It’s something we looked at at this stage last season,” said Murray. “Then there was a lot going on in the summer – takeovers and investment. We’ve not really spoken about it again.

“We’ll probably do that in January or February to give us a couple of extra months – though it might not be next year.

It’s certainly something in the coming years that we’ll look at.

“We’re all in agreement that it was just too soon this season. We had to sort out the first team first, then we made sure we got the club sorted out when we were in a position to do it, rather than just scrambling something together.”

Potter from Fife Today back in March;

"Would we love to have an all singing, all dancing reserve B team? Yes, and we might.

"It might take a little bit of time to get there. But it doesn’t stop giving people opportunities.

“It’s a big operation. I’ve been involved in clubs where they’ve had that but we’re not staffed for that at the moment.

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

Feels like it was an aspirational goal more than a target to be fair. 

22 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Raiding Morten for Strapp and Quitongo, according to their page. Exciting!

22 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

Pretty uninspiring for the Townies.. Strapp is a downgrade on Edwards and Quitongo is much a mucho for Jakubiak.

There was a small rumour regarding Strapp because he and his maw followed the club on Twitter. Quitongo thing isn't and never was a thing, just @Rob1885doing what he does best at this time of year and linking us with jobbers like Goncalves, Zanatta and Antoine Courier.