The New Raith Rovers Thread

Went to every game apart from the Ross County game. So many great memories of that run. A Cameron hat trick to beat Killie, Danny Lennon's break away goal at St Johnstone to seal it and the ensuing pandemonium in the stand, Brian fucking Potter becoming a hero after the extra time period that felt like 2 hours. And then the final. Can remember the nerves like it was yesterday. Then the utter joy when Crawford put us ahead. And then the despair when Nicholas scored only for Dazza to get an equaliser minutes later. Then turning to my brother and saying 'here we go, Raith in Europe' as McStay stepped up. Then utter, complete joy. Then the weeks that followed and smiling like a daftie every day just thinking about it. Christ I'm still smiling about it now. Might watch the whole game tonight over a beer

Be proud of your history, but it's time to look forward.

This was our moment. I may be wrong but I doubt I'll ever see us win a major trophy again. Just thankful I was there to experience it. Rovers fans will never stop celebrating that great day and nor should they.

Edited by roverthemoon

Be proud of your history, but it's time to look forward.

look forward to what?scottish football is in turmoil,clubs cheating the tax man,clubs in debt up to their eyeballs our own included,crowds down,rapid decline in the standard of football including our own club.aye time to look forward :P

Edited by Rovers_Lad

I was only just too young to remember the final but the aftermath is certainly one of my earliest set of memories! Remember my dad, vaguely, taking me to the Beveridge Park to meet and greet all the players I think?

Still, watched the game a few times and it's safe to say I feel like I went to the final and experienced it all for myself biggrin.gif

Gran had to wait in a que that went about 3 times round Starks Park, got us tickets, only to find out that it was my cousins christening that day (Auntie with slight leanings to the dark side of fife).

Still, was only 6, but remember quite a lot about that day. Remember the sitting room at my grans going properly mental after the pen was saved....apart from my dear late Grandad who had to go upstairs as he feared he may have a heart attack during the pens!

Apparently, when it went to 2-1 Celtic, my Gran said (in the typical women who know nothing about football voice) "Never mind, they can still do it!" Only to be told by my Grandad "Shut up you stupid woman, what do you know about fitba?!. Its over"

:D:lol:

The following Monday I left school at lunch time and ended up at Starks park looking to get a glimpse of the trophy and managed to see it and hold it while jimmy Nichols was being interviewed by some journalist and we ended up getting a pic taken with jimmy gutted I never knew which paper it was would like to see that pic now

Went to every game apart from the Ross County game. So many great memories of that run. A Cameron hat trick to beat Killie, Danny Lennon's break away goal at St Johnstone to seal it and the ensuing pandemonium in the stand, Brian fucking Potter becoming a hero after the extra time period that felt like 2 hours. And then the final. Can remember the nerves like it was yesterday. Then the utter joy when Crawford put us ahead. And then the despair when Nicholas scored only for Dazza to get an equaliser minutes later. Then turning to my brother and saying 'here we go, Raith in Europe' as McStay stepped up. Then utter, complete joy. Then the weeks that followed and smiling like a daftie every day just thinking about it. Christ I'm still smiling about it now. Might watch the whole game tonight over a beer

I can only echo all that. That Kilmarnock game was a thriller in its own right, and as fine a hat-trick as you'll see, Lennon's goal was a peach, and Brian Potter is of course a legend ( http://www.twohundredpercent.net/?p=2663 ). And I also wasn't at the Ross County game, which of course I regret. Kudos to those of you who did make every game.