The New Raith Rovers Thread

McKinnon may have signed 2 many midfielders but to be honest Daly/Wighton should have scored more than a goal each which may have possibly had us sitting with 6-7 points more than we have at the moment, But his hands are tied when punters don't turn up regularly . Also can't believe fans especially on fantalk would rather have Murray back, oh my God! short memories there,

I think McKinnon will be forced to make a gamble as we can't get another proven over 21 striker on loan..... We certainly won't be able to afford to buy one outright..... So the only option is to sign an unknown , perhaps this Norwegian lad. I think with the pressure from the fans and perhaps the board for a solution to the goal drought, he will have to gamble.

Edited by Geordie_Munrover

It's no exaggeration to say that McKinnon has had months to try and come up with a solution to our problems in the forward department. The fact that we are in the last week of January and staking all our hopes on a random Scandinavian youngster does not reflect well on him.

I presume that if Daly hadn't had the offer to go to Hearts then McKinnon would've looked to extend his deal until the end of the season and that would be it in terms of strikers for us. Shudder.

I had assumed Thomas had been training with us prior to the news coming out a week or so ago that he went back to France, would have thought that period he was training with us would have given McKinnon an idea on whether or not he was worth pursuing. You can tell we're going to just panic sign on the off chance one of these two players can do the business.

I had assumed Thomas had been training with us prior to the news coming out a week or so ago that he went back to France, would have thought that period he was training with us would have given McKinnon an idea on whether or not he was worth pursuing. You can tell we're going to just panic sign on the off chance one of these two players can do the business.

We've not got much choice. As eluded to earlier we're fanned damned if we do and damned if we don't.

You've summed it up perfectly. Meanwhile, no doubt people sit lamenting the loss of Greig Spence who wasn't scoring at this level but is at the level before. Some of our fans are utter knobheads.

The stats don't lie. He may be limited in terms of ability but Spence scored 20 league goals for us at this level. He's still only 23 and he'd be a good back-up striker. Remember those halcyon days when the manager signed 4 forwards. Oh, the luxury!

Mark Stewart scored 10 league goals for us last season. He's on 6 at the moment and with any luck he'll hit 10 goals again. He is also limited in terms of ability. Most of the ones who play for Raith Rovers are.

20 goals a season strikers don't sign for mid-table dross like Raith Rovers. Teams like Rovers have to try to develop 5-10 goal strikers into 20 goal strikers. Then they get sold on.

Edited by Scary Bear

The stats don't lie. He may be limited in terms of ability but Spence scored 20 league goals for us at this level. He's still only 23 and he'd be a good back-up striker. Remember those halcyon days when the manager signed 4 forwards. Oh, the luxury!

Mark Stewart scored 10 league goals for us last season. He's on 6 at the moment and with any luck he'll hit 10 goals again. He is also limited in terms of ability. Most of the ones who play for Raith Rovers are.

20 goals a season strikers don't sign for mid-table dross like Raith Rovers. Teams like Rovers have to try to develop 5-10 goal strikers into 20 goal strikers. Then they get sold on.

I can't be bothered looking up the stats, but partnered with Vaughan IIRC they scored a goal apiece in at least six matches.

I can't be bothered looking up the stats, but partnered with Vaughan IIRC they scored a goal apiece in at least six matches.

Type 'Soccerbase Mark Stewart' into Google. Partnered with Vaughan, Stewart came into his own. Prior to that he made Spency look good.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=44475&season_id=144

Edited by Scary Bear

I'm not very excited with either of the trialist targets, and if I'm honest I'd prefer the Norwegian lad as the footage of Thomas doesn't impress me much. It's one thing putting a show reel together to show your best bits but when you've only a slack handful and you have to pad it out by showing the same goal half a dozen times it's reeks of desperation.

I'd still rather we used everything we have available to lure Sutt's from St Johnstone, he's obviously surplus to requirements up there, if only we had the money.

Likewise and this will be controversial I'd have offered Antoine Courier a deal when he left the Pars, ok so some Pars fans did't think much of him but when you've got two other strikers banging them in it tends to be that way. Sadly even Courier isn't an option either now as he's signed an 18m contract with Belgian L2 side.

Mind you what do I know, I thought we should have plumped for Jason Scotland pre-season and he's not played many games with Stenny having only made 10 appearances, then again he has score 5 in that spell. He hasn't scored since the 28th of Nov.....then again so have we hardly!

There was a guy in the South Stand on Saturday who I thought might be the Norwegian trialist before I saw his photo. But now that you mention Thomas is back that's who it was. He was sitting away speaking to what looked like his agent and munching on a bag of nuts.

Edited by Ding Dang Doo

There was a guy in the South Stand on Saturday who I thought might be the Norwegian trialist before I saw his photo. But now that you mention Thomas is back that's who it was. He was sitting away speaking to what looked like his agent and munching on a bag of nuts.

In that case he was sitting a few rows behind me. Fancy blue baseball boots and a Kwik Fit haircut. Looks the part. Sign him.

McKinnon's interview at the time suggested he was keen on Thomas but that he (Thomas) had an offer in France, so that was that.