The New Raith Rovers Thread

donaldson looked like he could do a decentish job just lacking experiance imo, hammil looks like he can put a good ball but didnt really show much else tonight and i think graham looks like he could link up well with baird with the way he knocks it down. the trialist looked like a decent player tried to do too much a couple of times the effort was there though. Also will someone please tell williamson to hit the by-line for a change instead of cutting inside.

Edited by grumswall

Was at tonights game. McGlynn seems to have changed from a long ball game to a short passing game with mixed success, but with a bit of practice we should improve. The lack of cutting edge against Arbroath and Montrose was evident again. Morcambe had only one real chance and they found their spare man in the box with ease. We missed a few similar opportunities where we couldnt find a man in space.

I thought the woman linesman got both 'goals' wrong; ours in the first half looked level and theirs looked a good yard off. I was getting the impression that both the ref and her were anxious not to look like favouring us, he gave them everything. As for Morecambe, I thought they were pretty poor in the first half with their long ball game, and with a bit of composure we could have been a couple of goals up. They changed their style in the second half and matched us a bit more, pretty even. Any other First Division team would have beaten them tonight, our lack of goal threat is a worry. If we cant put a couple past East Fife on Saturday I cant see how we're going to do much when the season opens after four games to get ready .

Edited by Big Berk

Friendlies are for building up fitness and gaining some income. Course you want the team to win 5-0 in these games but that just leads to higher expectations.

This team shouldn't be judged on pre-season.

Strange how we only managed to arrange one home friendly actually...

New strip looked quite good on...although the all blue again annoyed me. Blue top + White shorts and White socks please! :)

Well, I wasn't there but here are my ill-informed thoughts.

Morecambe are a step up from both Arbroath and Montrose. Bettering the results achieved against those two - even with only a draw - is a positive step. A late goal also indicates the fitness is coming back, which after two pretty awful second halves against the Angus sides is also a positive.

It's still pre-season though so y'know...

Decent game last night with a few positives and things to remember. All the new signings looked decent and we seemed to do well at keeping the ball on the deck and playing a simple passing game, but vthen we've always been the same at the start of every season under McGlynn. Williamson did very well, as did the trialist who looked extremely eager and was constantly looking for the ball (probably down to him looking for a contract as well). Graham looks like he might be a good signing, created plenty of space and showed good touches. Donaldson, Callaghan and Laidlaw all did very well, Donaldson in particular who did well for the most of the game.

Got to remember that, this was Morcambe's first preseason game so we are probably a wee bit fresher than them. Also, I think they had a few youth players.

In the fist half Morecambe reminded me of Stirling Albion in appearance and standard but they upped things a bit in the second half. We seemed to fall off the pace a bit but we should still have won. McGlynn's pleased with his new passing style. We were always a 'footballing' side traditionally so I'm glad to see the end of the long ball stuff, even tho it served us well last season.

Morecambe have appointed a "club legend" (i.e. unknown outside of Morecambe) as manager to replace the rather old fashioned Sammy McIlroy, and haven't made any major signings in the close season. I'd expect them to be really struggling to avoid the drop back to non-league in the year ahead. A shame, as I quite like them as a club.

On Saturday, Raith showed in flashes that they can be very dangerous. Whilst I don't expect you to scale the heights of last season, surely mid table should be well within the club's grasp, given the general lack of money in the SFL.

Did Raith Rovers not start last season using a "passing" game though? remember it being mentioned it on here allot, but as the season went on and the pressure mounted there was more and more hoofball.

As I said, we usually start the season playing some good football. Then it descends into long ball madness.after a few months.

Joe Hamill is terrible when he's played out wide but comfortably good enough for this level when he gets played in the middle of the park

He doesn't have that yard of pace or dribbling ability to get to the line and swing balls in but his passing and close control mean he's solid in the centre.

Don't judge him when he's played out wide, just cos he's got a left foot doesn't mean he is a flying left winger

Joe Hamill is terrible when he's played out wide but comfortably good enough for this level when he gets played in the middle of the park

He doesn't have that yard of pace or dribbling ability to get to the line and swing balls in but his passing and close control mean he's solid in the centre.

Don't judge him when he's played out wide, just cos he's got a left foot doesn't mean he is a flying left winger

Sloan Mk2

Hamill was non existant against Morecambe.Suppose we`ll just have to get used to him being non existent as we have Walker(best position through the middle)and Davidson who both want to and need to play there.

Mcglynn has some sort of fascination with bringing in central players and putting them out wide

probably to try and narrow the game, bring back Darren Smith :(

Was pretty much the impression I took of him from the game against Morecambe. Gives us a dilemma though as I really like Walker in the middle, he does a shift out wide but Davidson always plays so it's either Walker wide and Hamill in the middle or vice versa. And although it's hard to tell I don't see Hamill being too different to Simmons in the middle, in that he won't get forward much or provide too much in terms of attacking threat - his goal record backs that up. And that means we'll go back to humping it.

From the FFP.

After praising new signings Brian Graham and Joe Hamill, McGlynn said that work on retaining the services of another SPL signing to go with Stephen Reynolds was, “still ongoing, but yet to be finalised.”

There was, however, another new face on the Rovers bench on Tuesday night - Danny Thomson who was listed as a ‘trialist’.

“He’s a temporary loan from Hearts,” said McGlynn. “I thought he played very well when he came on and he’s got the opportunity to play for us again at the weekend and we’ll see how that goes.

Does that mean there may well be two players to come in, or that Thomson is the deal still to be finalised? I'd say it suggests there a separate player altogether...