The New Raith Rovers Thread

Perhaps the board should've reflected on Smith's ineptitude in the cups and subsequent lack of revenue when the season tickets went on sale early doors to make ends meet...

Edited by Michael W

The other argument is, we sack Smith, obviously have a reduced budget, and sign up, say, Jim Duffy, I’m sure most fans would be relatively satisfied with that. Now what if he’s utter mince? What then? What if we’re 8 points behind by November? Remember nearly everybody on here thought Yogi was the answer at the time. It just shows there’s no guarantee. I’m no fan of Smith but I think we find ourselves in a catch 22 and maybe ‘better the devil you know’ isn’t the worst idea here. It need to be remembered that we would have won that league if a ball had been hit two inches in a different direction and with that points total in every other season going back 20 years.

The club certainly has problems with that quality of people involved in the whole decision making process, that’s not up for debate.

Barry Smith once referred to Kevin McHattie as the best left back in the division. That should temper any expectation of him stamping a positive, non dud influence on the team.

Not read through all of the posts since a few hours ago but I'm getting the general consensus is disappointment. Why?

I said the phrase 'expectation management' and that's 100% applicable right now. What were people really expecting?

I think this is great news!
- Full time football for another season at Starks Park [emoji736]
- A manager who managed to achieve a mass of 75 points and 1 defeat at home [emoji736]
- A new chairman who actually has some relevant experience in leading groups [emoji736]
- A smaller and more compact BoD without the clowns that got us into this mess (with the exception of Tom Morgan) [emoji736]

All we need to do now is sell Lewis Vaughan and this club will be Back Roaring Back!!

What an absolute clusterfuck.

Keeping BS probably isn’t ideally what the bod wanted either but it’s obviously been deemed a sacrifice worth making to keep  ft football.

On a plus note (if there is one) at least if he retains the bulk of the defence we should be  reasonably ok at the back if he can sign a real keeper and cruicially someone shows them how to defend set pieces.

Up front we could be ok with some of what we have if he can sign someone to give them ammunition. And thereby lays the crux of the issue he needs a new midfield and ffs someone buy him a book with variations of tactics.

If he resigns all of Roberson, Herron, Barr and Matthews then I’ll be watching the YM next season.

A mass clearout mightn’t be the answer, but a good pruning is needed for sure.

Oh you're fans now!!!

Sorry!!![emoji23]

But it is good to see that despite all your statements otherwise, that the Derby obviously means a lot to you!!!

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

I think there’s a few overreactions here to be frank, as Paco said this side earned the highest points tally to not win this league. McGlynn took us up with less points, as did Calderon.

The fact of the matter is there were two full time teams this season and one of us was always going to win it, next season it’s only us that will remain full time and we finished streets ahead of the part time teams. Sacking Barry would clearly cost us, perhaps money we can’t afford and there’s no guarantee whoever comes in isn’t going to be a disaster, it’s a case of better the devil you know here. If we can replace some of the shite in this squad with some semi-competent players we’ll be absolutely fine. Part time football and a new manager could see a repeat of the Dalziel season down here.

Pretty much Barry & FT football > ??? & PT football

You will win the league at a canter next season without ayr, with your present squad, Agree with you here , the rest need to calm doon ..

Edited by whereismillar

We all knew how shite the football had been this season when the 4,000 fans turned up to watch us win the league a couple of weeks ago and I've no doubt that the majority of people will be doing the same again next year.

For everyone going on about not coming back and not renewing your season tickets, grow up and get a grip of yourselves.

I'll be back and I'll be supporting whatever team Smith puts out. He's not my favourite manager but if he's the one that's got to get us up next season then so be it.

Grown men getting themselves all worked up over this. Do you really think another manager was what we could afford and really needed? We need stability an continuity right now, not fans acting like spoiled brats throwing the dummy out every time they don't get what they want.

The present squad shite it when the pressure's on; I'm sure they'll make heavy weather of it next season as well. 

Yeah that’s where I think a few heads need to role. A few faces have both taken us down last season and been very poor this season. Manager isn’t 100% responsible for our lacklustre performances.

This is my fear

There's 15 points between us and the next best team in the league and only 1 point from us and the best team in the league. Even with our dreadful away record and the defeats against Ayr this season, 1 goal would have had us promoted as champions! Regardless of how uninspiring the football was, we had it in our hands and yes we blew it but on a different day that game against Alloa would have been done and dusted.

If we kept the majority of the squad we had this season (which I hope we don't) I'd still be confident about winning the league.

2 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

There's 15 points between us and the next best team in the league and only 1 point from us and the best team in the league. Even with our dreadful away record and the defeats against Ayr this season, 1 goal would have had us promoted as champions! Regardless of how uninspiring the football was, we had it in our hands and yes we blew it but on a different day that game against Alloa would have been done and dusted.

If we kept the majority of the squad we had this season (which I hope we don't) I'd still be confident about winning the league.

Having just watched us been out thought and out played by a part time team over 270 minutes I’m slightly less confident 

Having just watched us been out thought and out played by a part time team over 270 minutes I’m slightly less confident 

You're judging a whole season over 3 games. Two of which were effectively cup ties. There's no way that makes any sense. We were poor and Alloa got the better of us but over a season of 36 games we were by far the better team hence the gap between the 2 teams.