The New Raith Rovers Thread

Naw it’s called sticking up for your team ! The results speak for there self and notably your fellow mutant East Fife fan had to copy and paste a smiling Barry Smith when he took over at Alloa, what went wrong was your official club photographer away to  the chemists for his daily methodone 

Touched a nerve ????IMG_3930.jpg

I never thought I'd say this at the start of the season, but Davo is a must.

Think I have to very grudgingly agree. Never been a fan and I actually think he has a huge bearing on the uninspiring way we play at times but he’s been mostly solid since September time. He was terrible during the league cup games and the first few league games, cost us about a goal a games, but he’s turned it around, fair play. Still wouldn’t cry if he was punted but seems unlikely as Barry signed him for Dundee so must be a big fan.

8 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

OH MY GOD!!

NEWS JUST IN: Football team signs a player!

Calm down, Trouten played for the team that were automatically relegated...

Calm down Martin. We don't want your dad having to take over your account again. 

Nobody has mentioned the fact that we looked extremely unfit most of the season. How make matches, especially in the 2nd half of the season, did we up the pressure, pace and intensity and look like the full time side. In countless matches the part time team were the ones looking fitter and livelier towards the end of matches.

As others have said the 2nd half of the season, when every other manager had worked out us out, was very even and Alloa/Dumbarton, Alloa and Aridrie will all fancy their chances against us. Add to the mix we've replaced 2 very poor sides with the ambitious Montrose and Peterhead and the league could easily be much more competitive.

I'd keep Buchanan in a heartbeat if we brought in an actual target man for him to play off. 
Pretty harsh writing him off when we've played nowhere near to his strength this season. 

He's by all accounts costing us too much though for his level of input. When he's on form his first touch is ridiculous. Great finisher. Unfortunately he's not fit into smiths tactics

Don’t expect Montrose to be all that, this is their first season up here in over 20 years, they clearly have a very good manager in Petrie but that’s surely been noticed. Some of the championship sides might take a punt on him. Peterhead aren’t up yet, stranger things have happened and worth remembering they still have the manager who took them down last time.

Don’t expect Montrose to be all that, this is their first season up here in over 20 years, they clearly have a very good manager in Petrie but that’s surely been noticed. Some of the championship sides might take a punt on him. Peterhead aren’t up yet, stranger things have happened and worth remembering they still have the manager who took them down last time.

I agree. 8th place anyone?

In the same way Forfar and Albion weren't "all that" yet took 4 points each at home from us? My point being that in games where we, as a full time side, should've won comfortably Smith, his tactics and selections failed.

This season we finished 2nd and lost in the playoffs to a part time side. No level of sugar coating it can detract from the fact that the club, board, manager and players failed. To see the incompetent Young be the only casualty in all of this is laughable.

3 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

In the same way Forfar and Albion weren't "all that" yet took 4 points each at home from us? My point being that in games where we, as a full time side, should've won comfortably Smith, his tactics and selections failed.

To be fair on poor Barry Smith, I'd blame both our keepers for dropping points in these games just as much as the tactics. Smith's howler at Albion Rovers in the match they won, and another one not going to claim a ball against Forfar, when Davidson then got sent off. And Lennox with a howler in the midweek match away to Forfar. 

This season we finished 2nd and lost in the playoffs to a part time side. No level of sugar coating it can detract from the fact that the club, board, manager and players failed. To see the incompetent Young be the only casualty in all of this is laughable.

But yet Queen’s Park, who finished above Albion, we took 12 points off. It’s not an exact science but I do agree those side could harm us, equally we could take more from those two teams who come up than the teams who went down, who knows.

The club, board, manager and players did fail. The objective was to go up, that was clear and can’t be denied. We have to be objective however and realised we were one ball being kicked two inches in a different direction from being champions and we won enough points to win the league in pretty much any other season. You must therefore acknowledge that this failure was by the finest of fine margins.

I just think sacking Smith is as at least as much of a risk and perhaps more of a risk than ripping up and starting again with Christ-knows-who in charge, we’d be opting for the mystery box. Most fans would probably prefer that, and the club would probably sell more season tickets, so sacking/keeping Smith will probably cost us financially either way. The whole thing is a bit of a catch 22.

All we seem to point out is the negatives. Yes there were plenty of them last season but there's a positive spin on it when you look at things in a different light.

Our home record, our ability to win ugly (with the occasional good performance), over 50 goals from the front 3 players ( top scorer was moved to centre mid for large parts of the season), defensive record was excellent and the fact that over the course of a season we more than comfortably beat the teams below us on points and goal difference.

If some of the knuckle draggers who post on here can see that things weren't very good and point them out then I'm more than confident that Smith and co saw that too. He's been given a second chance and I'm certain that he'll know that there's a lot more at stake for him than there is for us in terms of his career. With a new board he might be given some more freedom to bring in players he can trust and get rid of the ones he doesn't.

He's here now and there's f**k all anyone can realistically do about it. Just get behind the club and whoever he puts out on this amazing new plastic pitch we're going to be treated to next season.

I'd definitely keep: McKay, Murray, Vaughan. 

I'd definitely punt: McHattie, Barr, Smith, Matthews and probably Lennox also. 

For the rest there are some tough calls: 

Thomson - I'm a fan but the goals he's scored have papered over the cracks a bit defensively. Not covinced we should keep him but also not sure any replacement would be an upgrade. He has been known to pick up injuries also, even if he didn't this season.  Tough one, but certainly wouldn't have kept him if we'd been promoted. 

Bene - We know he's capable, but he did unsettle the defence when he came back in. I'm veering towards "keep", on the understanding he goes into the season fully fit. 

Davidson - never been a fan of his, but he did have a good season following a poor start - it only took his whole career, but we've finally established he's better at CB! He is however getting on and is also liable to pick up injuries, even if he didn't this season. Next season is quite possibly his last. 

I suspect the above 3 are amongst our highest earners, so I don't think all should be kept. 

Herron - haven't seen enough to comment, so not fussed. 

Robertson - staying assuming Smith retains him on the coaching staff. If he wasn't a coach I'd probably let him go as he's too injury prone, even though we suffered when he didn't play. 

Spence - I'd keep him as he clearly offers a lot at this level, even if I don't really rate him in general. Smith doesn't seem to be a fan so I think he'll go. 

Buchanan - gutted if he's signed for another year, as I'd have him gone. Even if we don't play to his strengths, he wastes some amount of chances when he does get one. 

Furtado - Looked clumsy and slow against Alloa (0-0 game). If he could screw the nut I'd keep him, but I get the impression he's perhaps not the most focussed at times. Would suit Smith's style of play down to a tee were it not for the fact Smith is a weapon who thinks Furtado's attributes make him suited to play out wide. 

Court - Suits Smith's style of play but hasn't made an impact. I'd let him go. 

Watson - Thrown in at the deep end and struggled a bit. Not uncommon for a young player - possible back up? 

Berry - Didn't see enough to make a call. 

Edited by Michael W

1 hour ago, Stevo Fife said:

I can see ever team in the division raising their game next season and treating games against the Raith Massive as though it were cup final day.  Except us of course. We're the bitches.

Raith miss out on promotion once again, go part time and Smith signs a new 5 year contract. Happy days.

Ya heard in here first!:thumsup2

Can we be total C*nts like Ayr .........and continually mention the Blue pound....which obviously the Fife will be eternaly grateful for.....

Edited by RRFC2711

Cannot believe some on here want to keep so many players that have failed us over 2 seasons. Mass clearout required.

As Smith is staying I would punt Cuthbert and keep Robertson and Easton.

Players both goalkeepers to go Lennox is made of glass and Smith is gash. McHattie and Thompson to go.

Keep Rory for backup, Murray who has been very good, McKay and Bene. Not fussed about Davo.

Midfield punt Herron, Matthews, Barr. Regan, and Zannata will be away. 

Robertson to stay as he is a coach and an entire new midfield signed providing balance strength and creativity. We must start winning the midfield battle.

I not fussed about Buchanan but if he stays we must sign a target man. Spence and Court to go. Furtado to be offered a deal and if we can cash in on Vaughan then I would.

Basically 8 of the current squad to stay with about the same coming in.

Can we be total C*nts like Ayr .........and continually mention the Blue pound....which obviously the Fife will be eternaly grateful for.....

Not at all mate, we'll take your money all day long, it's why we didn't want you to go up!!!

2 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

I can see ever team in the division raising their game next season and treating games against the Raith Massive as though it were cup final day.  Except us of course. We're the bitches.

Raith miss out on promotion once again, go part time and Smith signs a new 5 year contract. Happy days.

Ya heard in here first!:thumsup2

Can't imagine anyone in methil being employed for 5 years tbh.