The New Raith Rovers Thread

Source was correct ?! Welcome to the club Gordon ?

Ah so that's the boy you're source was on about. Was always wondering who the player was that Murray was after :)

Good signing again from Murray. Absolutely chuffed to bits with the way he's went about his business so far.

Gordon Smith's game is based on fouling on hoofball. My initial impression is that this is a poor signing.

However, it means Pat Clarke won't be re-signing, and it does give us another option if we need a change. I hope my unenthusiastic response doesn't stay true as a reflection of what he offers us, but I'm not convinced with this signing at all.

Edited by Michael W

Murray saying in todays FFP that he's hoping to sign 3 more players. I'm guessing due to the timing of last nights signing that it'll be down to two players now. Cardle is mentioned and I'm hoping the other is a centre back.

Will reserve judgement on Smith. To be fair Graham looked average at Morton.

Another couple of players and we should be in decent shape. Looking forward to seeing a fairly different team. With the play offs added then it could be an interesting season if the new players improve us

There is far too much optimism here. We need to sign a few absolute duds and get back to normal ways. I like it but as a Rovers fan, I am not used to a positive pre season and dont know if I can handle it much more

Will reserve judgement on Smith. To be fair Graham looked average at Morton.

Another couple of players and we should be in decent shape. Looking forward to seeing a fairly different team. With the play offs added then it could be an interesting season if the new players improve us

To be fair to Smith, he had a decentish goal scoring record At Stirling, in 10/11 - which was the last time he had any substantial game time at first division level.

There is far too much optimism here. We need to sign a few absolute duds and get back to normal ways. I like it but as a Rovers fan, I am not used to a positive pre season and dont know if I can handle it much more

If it makes you feel any better, it's only decent on paper.

After seeing Tade pre season when he first joined us and shaking my head in disbelief at his warm up shooting I will grant any striker coming in the benefit of the doubt. That said I think Smith can be a good player for us and push the other 2 which is exactly what we need

New home top out a week today. Wonder if they'll do a kit launch at O'Connells like they did for the last home top that was sponsered by them? Will more than likely buy it at the Sheffield United friendly.

For the lovers of statistics:

Just been looking at Gordon Smiths stats. He hasn't played much last seasons. Last season loads on the bench at Hearts but only played a handful of games.

Year before (2011/2012) more of the same at Hearts and had a 2 month spell at Hamilton.

In the 2010/2011 season he had a good (loan) season at Stirling in which he sored 12 goals (2 of them was against us at Starks Park, 2-0 win Stirling and 2-1 win Rovers) and 5 assists.

Also noticed he picks up easily yellow cards, 11 at Stirling and 2 at Hamilton (in just 3 matches).

Btw he isn't 6'3 but 6'

Not the greatest signing in my opinion but hopefully he'll bring adequate cover to Spence and Elliot. As long as we have the money in the budget to bring in a solid centre back and a good winger it's not money wasted.

Not the greatest signing in my opinion but hopefully he'll bring adequate cover to Spence and Elliot. As long as we have the money in the budget to bring in a solid centre back and a good winger it's not money wasted.

Think it's a pretty decent signing myself, he has somethigng to prove and he has done it at this level before. Of the names that have been bandied about, his was the only realistic one on the list.

Cardle and Darren Barr would do for me

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Pie & Bovril mobile app

You mean Craig Barr?

I'm happy with the signing of Smith. He impressed me a lot when he was at Stirling. He's not scared to put himself about and he also has an eye for goal. On paper, him, Elliot and Spence give us a decent forward line.

If we get Cardle and a decent centre back in we'll have a fairly high quality, if somewhat small, squad.