The New Raith Rovers Thread

40 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I take it trialist A is Dabrowski  and B is Patterson ??

I'm just waiting on the beaks kicking us out the competition for our Trialist goalkeeper having Dabrowski on the back of his jersey.

Would you put it past them?

Kelty been all over us - hit the post with a cracking free kick just before our goal.

1 minute ago, Specky Ginger said:

I'm just waiting on the beaks kicking us out the competition for our Trialist goalkeeper having Dabrowski on the back of his jersey.

Would you put it past them?

Kelty been all over us - hit the post with a cracking free kick just before our goal.

Is it “Dabrowski” or “Dąbrowski” on the jersey…if the former, we can argue it wasn’t his name…

Wind isn’t helping but that’s no excuse as to how this first half has went.

They're running through and around us so easily. 

We look nice up top but there is something amiss with our defence. 4 goals conceded in 2.5 matches against lower opposition.

Just now, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Wind isn’t helping but that’s no excuse as to how this first half has went.

They're running through and around us so easily. 

We look nice up top but there is something amiss with our defence. 4 goals conceded in 2.5 matches against lower opposition.

Perhaps they’ve never played together?

4 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

I'm not liking this one holding midfielder.

Can see us getting horribly exposed by better teams in our league.

With Hamilton up top, I wouldn’t be surprised if we had Brown and Matthews at back…right now we’re playing two up top.

2 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

I'm not liking this one holding midfielder.

Can see us getting horribly exposed by better teams in our league.

I think the biggest issue today is that it's Sam Stanton, who's not really a holding midfielder in the first place, and there's not a second midfielder in there at all.

If you'll indulge some daft numbers chat: Against Linlithgow, Stanton played as the 6, but with McGill as the 8. It meant Stanton could focus on screening the midfield, and then had someone close by to knock it on to. Here, you've got a back four, Stanton as the 6, and then essentially five 10s in front of him. So Stanton has to be the holding midfielder, and the link man. That's never going to be an easy shift for anyone.

Ideally, you'd want Brown or Matthews as the 6, with Stanton as the 8, and then you can basically just perm any four from our vast attacking stable ahead of them. 

Playing exactly as you'd expect q side wirh no centre forwards, and no proper holding midfielders to play.

It's a game that means absolutely nothing at the end of the day, but it's fairly obvious we need to keep Matthews/Brown and Hamilton fit and available.

We look threatening enough going forward. Much like last season Millen has put 3 cracking crosses in which have been begging to be put away but without a proper centre forward in there, we've contrived to miss them all.

Defensively were in trouble every time they turn possession over in midfield. I would like to think we'd be stopping that if Brown or Matthews was playing. 

The defence was the issue last year the amount of soft goals we let in. It was countered by having 2 sitting midfielders to help. Today we don't even have 1 playing. 

As creative and slick as we are going forward it's the same issues again you saw it in parts against Montrose. 

Another experienced CH is a must and some serious time on the training pitch to sort this out. 

In the interests of balance, the squad have only played 2 games together with rotating players and its a fife Cup game. 

Murray did say he was going to be trying different things out during these games.  I think this one is a failure though.  Having a natural holding midfielder would make a huge difference.

Really need another experienced CB alongside Watson.  Especially when you consider that he’ll probably not be able to play every game.  Got the fear he was going to be going out with a bad injury after his collision with Kev.

On the plus side, the strip looks a lot better in person.

Not buying the second experienced CB starting, I’d like to see Corr or Masson with Watson or Dick as the early choices…adds some pace to hopefully better blunt the counters. I suspect we’re done with CB signings for now, not from lack of trying, but from lack of good options…and we’ll see what’s out there for loan.