The New Raith Rovers Thread

40 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Corr looks good to me and with Watson it’s ample for the Championship.

The big miss is Scott Brown, the team never look as assured when he’s not it. 

I said yesterday that Corr looked good in the 2nd half but the problem is he and Watson both want to play on the right side, we need balance in there. 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

It's for this reason that I wouldn't be keen on us signing another defender in his mid 30s. Murray seems set on the 4-1-3-2 for this season with the full backs pushing on, which puts a lot of pressure on the two centre halves and the holding midfielder. Having a couple of centre halves who are as slow as a week on jail just won't work. 

I think it'll be interesting to see what he does when he has both Brown and Matthews fit.  Will he try and fit both of them in to the team and play with two holding midfielders, giving a bit more cover for the full backs to push up?  It would more than likely mean needing to play with just one striker, who'd you expect to be Hamilton.  Then you're picking 3 from Mullin, Vaughan, Easton, Smith, Connolly, Gullan, Stanton and Ross.  Typing all those names out you start to realise how stacked we are going forward.  Assuming we don't get the usual Rovers injury issues, the ability to completely switch up our midfield/front line during a game could play a huge part this season.

Edited by SanStarko

I don’t really see 4-1-3-2 being a viable option in the Championship. I think we’ll get run over the top of and hit on the counter attack nearly every week. Playing two up front is pish.  Would far, far rather go 4-2-3-1. 

To add, if you were an opposition Championship manager the game plan would so simple. Beat our press and get bodies forward quickly and you’re taking 5 players out of the defensive structure. That will 100% be what happens to us if we go with that formation. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

10 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I don’t really see 4-1-3-2 being a viable option in the Championship. I think we’ll get run over the top of and hit on the counter attack nearly every week. Playing two up front is pish.  Would far, far rather go 4-2-3-1. 

To add, if you were an opposition Championship manager the game plan would so simple. Beat our press and get bodies forward quickly and you’re taking 5 players out of the defensive structure. That will 100% be what happens to us if we go with that formation. 

Pretty much my thoughts too. 

He obviously wants to play like that to get us on the front foot in every match. Hopefully with a few goals to boot. Then I’d be quite happy for him to resort back to the 4231 once he was content with the score line. Granted that’s not going to happen in every single match though. 

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

I said yesterday that Corr looked good in the 2nd half but the problem is he and Watson both want to play on the right side, we need balance in there. 

I really don't think you can make any kind of judgement on Corr based on that second half. I could've played at centre back and wouldn't have looked defensively out of place. 

Might depend on whines available, so far we have had no Brown or Hamilton so can't play the 4231 so he's gone to the 4132 instead using Matthews as the preferred DM and a front 2 of Vaughan and Gullan. May be worth trying a 433 at some point as well? We also need to see some players really kick on this year Armott and Mitchell have been around for a while now and need some game time. 

2 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

If Ethan Ross doesn’t make it into the squad before the transfer window ends I could see us selling him tbh 

Who'd take him if he's not fit?

I thought Murray had gotten over his 4-1-3-2 after the start to last season. You definitely do need a double pivot in there, regardless of other considerations to prevent being over run, and to give an adequate outball when the ball is coming short out of defence.

Short of several CB signings, we aren't equipped to go three at the back so needs to be some variation of a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2. It's worrying that he still thinks he can make the 4-1-3-2 viable to be honest, unless he has a plan for some one to drop closer to the sitting mid when we don't have the ball, which is a hard shift.

As others have noted, Hamilton is a single point of failure. Obviously Murray does think, or seems content to allow Gullan to play as a number 9 type forward but I can't deny I'd be happier with someone that could at least replicate Hamilton's physicality.

We desperately do need CBs though, above all else. 

31 minutes ago, renton said:

Who'd take him if he's not fit?

Not meaning if he’s not fit I should’ve made that clearer but if he’s on the bench most weeks and barely getting minutes then it would be beneficial for us and him if we cash in 

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I would think we'd be quite happy to get him off the wage bill let alone cash in on him. 

I dunno, if he gets fit he'd give us a bit of raw pace that we don't always have from other players. He's a good player.

7 minutes ago, renton said:

I dunno, if he gets fit he'd give us a bit of raw pace that we don't always have from other players. He's a good player.

I agree. Ross IS a good player and has suffered from one particular chronic injury. It's to be hoped that surgery and sensible rehabilitation (restricting his game time until fully fit) will restore him to the player we used to have. I'd be in no hurry to offload.

Ross is a good player when fit and he cause other teams problems, the issue is I don't see him displacing any of the current starters and so he's going to be a but part player until the inevitable injuries pile up.