The New Raith Rovers Thread

On 11/07/2023 at 20:09, Specky Ginger said:

The print costs of the programme apparently went down last season when the club switched printers.

When calculating profit and loss on the programme, clubs shouldn't just look at matchday sales versus print costs. Programme advertising revenue should be specifically deemed as programme revenue and if the club are putting out 50 programmes in hospitality, £150 of the hospitality revenue should be reclassified as programme revenue.

That being the case, I refuse to believe the programme loses money.

The fact Cowdenbeath and Clyde can produce a brilliant programme as good or better than virtually every Premier League club, with the possible exception of Aberdeen, on their gates, tells you a printed programme can still be profitable if done properly.

Totally agree, Newspapers are online, but still sell papers, match day programs are a great read and a  thing to keep 

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

You're right, last season we struggled to find a defender and got lucky, this season we've strengthened the forward area and still struggle to put out 4 defenders in their natural positions.

Millen at RB, natural

Watson, Masson, Corr at CB, natural

Dick at LB, natural

Next silly complaint…

1 hour ago, Stardog_champion said:

It’s shite that our defensive frailties have to be against our near neighbours. Murray’s second season now and yet we’re scrambling for a defence AGAIN?!?!?

We have starters at the four positions, hardly scrambling.

53 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

We arent scrambling for a defence.  The defence isn't complete, but there are enough players in the squad to put a defence out.  

Thank you.

51 minutes ago, Raithie said:

So what's the point on the big LED screen they have planned for the exterior of the main stand? 

Surely it's easier to sell more advertising?

As for the defence, I'm yet to see any names of any centre halves outside of Euan Murray who are potentially available to sign. Feel free to point them out.

13 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

As for the defence, I'm yet to see any names of any centre halves outside of Euan Murray who are potentially available to sign. Feel free to point them out.

That’s a silly argument to make. There will be literally hundreds of players available in that position. Us as fans don’t know individual contract situations but we pay someone specifically to manage that side of things. 

39 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Millen at RB, natural

Dick at LB, natural

Next silly complaint…

Thank you.

We have 3 starters and 2 young professionals , one of whom has played mostly lowland league. I am disappointed Murray hasnt learned  from last season. If we get beat Saturday I won’t be saying at least Corr played 90 mins, it’s not a silly complaint @TxRover this is not developmental league, it’s a derby game. 

29 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Is Brody Paterson close to getting offered a deal,  sure he played a couple of trial games..     Murray seems to be improving on last season's squad,  that's what he did at Airdrie year on year small improvements

4 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

We have 3 starters and 2 young professionals , one of whom has played mostly lowland league. I am disappointed Murray hasnt learned  from last season. If we get beat Saturday I won’t be saying at least Corr played 90 mins, it’s not a silly complaint @TxRover this is not developmental league, it’s a derby game. 

How do you Murray hasn't learned from last season? He explicitly said the club are trying to bring more signings in and we need more defensive options, I'm not entirely sure what else you expect him or the club to do, at this stage?

5 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

How do you Murray hasn't learned from last season? He explicitly said the club are trying to bring more signings in and we need more defensive options, I'm not entirely sure what else you expect him or the club to do, at this stage?

Have enough defenders signed like they have with the forwards/ midfielders. He hasn’t learned because we are in the same situation at the moment as last season, where we signed 2 cb’s day before cove away. It just frustrates me that’s all. Fine if your a club happy treading water, not great if you want to do well

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Millen at RB, natural

Dick at LB, natural

Next silly complaint…

Thank you.

So Corr may be fit  may not, we get an injury at fullback who covers, McGill a CM. Yes we are not finished bringing players in but our first competitive game against our biggest rivals is 3 days away and our defence is extremely thin with 2 18 yr old

8 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Have enough defenders signed like they have with the forwards/ midfielders. He hasn’t learned because we are in the same situation at the moment as last season, where we signed 2 cb’s day before cove away. It just frustrates me that’s all. Fine if your a club happy treading water, not great if you want to do well

Cove was the first game in the league, which is still a month away.  I would expect and hope for the defence to have additions by then.

We don't know what deals were or are in the works, and don't know why things have or haven't progressed - so it's impossible to gauge what the manager has learned from last season.  Sometimes things take longer to happen, and it isn't anyones fault.

Squads are not complete at this stage of the season, and the fact we play Dunfermline on Saturday doesn't change that.  There's a lot of emphasis being placed on the fact we play them on Saturday, but I'd rather the right players are brought into the club - and if that means they aren't in the squad to face Dunfermline,  that's absolutely fine.  

In 2019 we started the league cup with a Fernandy Mendy inspired hiding to Dundee,  with half this thread losing their shit.  By the end of the transfer window we had brought in Steven Anderson, which helped us to win promotion. 

Edited by CALDERON

6 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Cove was the first game in the league, which is still a month away.  

We don't know what deals were or are in the works, and don't know why things have or haven't progressed - so it's impossible to gauge what the manager has learned from last season.

Squads are not complete at this stage of the season, and the fact we play Dunfermline on Saturday doesn't change that.  

The league cup is important financially to the club if we progress, we missed out last year from a group we should have progressed from. I don’t care about other squads only ours, so getting some kid on loan from someone isn’t great( yes o’riordan was good but not the norm think ngwenya)we have 2 young players of our own to develop. No we don’t know about deals that are ongoing, fallen through etc but it’s just very frustrating again. We have a different viewpoint on this fair enough, each to there own👍

Edited by Been going too long

10 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Cove was the first game in the league, which is still a month away.  I would expect and hope for the defence to have additions by then.

We don't know what deals were or are in the works, and don't know why things have or haven't progressed - so it's impossible to gauge what the manager has learned from last season.  Sometimes things take longer to happen, and it isn't anyones fault.

Squads are not complete at this stage of the season, and the fact we play Dunfermline on Saturday doesn't change that.  There's a lot of emphasis being placed on the fact we play them on Saturday, but I'd rather the right players are brought into the club - and if that means they aren't in the squad to face Dunfermline,  that's absolutely fine.  

In 2019 we started the league cup with a Fernandy Mendy inspired hiding to Dundee,  with half this thread losing their shit.  By the end of the transfer window we had brought in Steven Anderson, which helped us to win promotion. 

But last season we didn’t bring in the right players and struggled all season , we might do the same again.

1 minute ago, Been going too long said:

But last season we didn’t bring in the right players and struggled all season , we might do the same again.

That might well be the case, but I think its fair to wait until the football actually starts before criticising the manager.

Theres not really an argument to be had on this.

Ross Millen and Liam Dick were part of a bomb scare back line last season.

Dylan Corr hasn't played at this level at all yet, Adam Massons barley kicked a ball for us.

Defensive midfielders Scott Brown and Ross Matthews are both out injured and miss the game on Saturday.

its 100% a worry that this is how we are going into our 1st competitive game of the season.

We don't score many goals and one of our main creative outlets is injured; I'd imagine Murray himself could play and you won't be troubled much. We had a great defensive record last season so it'll be interesting to see how we do on Saturday. While St Pauli carved us open a few times, they'd be third in the Premiership; Hearts and St Johnstone didn't really create too many chances and we kept a clean sheet at Alloa despite being down to ten men for a decent chunk of time.

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

That’s a silly argument to make. There will be literally hundreds of players available in that position. Us as fans don’t know individual contract situations but we pay someone specifically to manage that side of things. 

Hundred, aye, OK…and we’ve judged none as an improvement on our current players or they’ve declined to sign…

37 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

He hasn’t learned, eh? Isn’t that more of Potter’s task now?

20 minutes ago, Hadji said:

Theres not really an argument to be had on this.

Ross Millen and Liam Dick were part of a bomb scare back line last season.

Dylan Corr hasn't played at this level at all yet, Adam Massons barley kicked a ball for us.

Defensive midfielders Scott Brown and Ross Matthews are both out injured and miss the game on Saturday.

its 100% a worry that this is how we are going into our 1st competitive game of the season.

The bomb scare that caused the club to jettison a reserve LB and two starting CB’s…just saying, exactly what people want…