The New Raith Rovers Thread

17 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

One CB and we’re at least fully functional. 

I predict McGill will have an excellent season. He’s bulked up and to me looks a player plus versatile. 

The more immediate issue for me is both Brown and Matthews being out.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if McGill ends up at centre half and does a decent job for us there. It's easy to forget that the lad went from being a squad filler to looking an excellent player in pretty much three positions. There was a game he got chucked in at right back and he was bombing down the wing looking like he'd played his full career there. I think of all our signings, he's definitely flown under the radar.

Edited by Broken Algorithms

6 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

The absolute cheek of Murray not just bringing in any old shite at CB and waiting for the right player instead!

Raging.

Not sure anyone is saying that exactly, and I think everyone is aware that it's difficult to find the right players in that position currently. 

And yeah, starting competitive football in July isn't ideal for the purposes of building squads. I don't think it's "because its Dunfermline" in the cup, its because it's the hardest Pot 3 team you could get in a fixture that basically decides if we will continue in the cup and the income that would bring which is surely important.

As it stands, our defence looks no better than the start or last season: Watson is a higher pedigree than Lang or Nolan, and a bit younger than Berra who was the one available  back then and a better player still but a fair chunk older. 

We are also starting without either of our natural midfield pivots.

Is Masson up to it? Is Corr? Its not inconceivable that we will end up with those two as a starting duo which is far less than ideal.

I dont doubt that a lot of work had been done in recruitment so far, but it's undeniably frustrating for fans, and likely even kore so for the club to be back to trying to plug holes in a half existent defence.

1 minute ago, renton said:

Not sure anyone is saying that exactly, and I think everyone is aware that it's difficult to find the right players in that position currently. 

And yeah, starting competitive football in July isn't ideal for the purposes of building squads. I don't think it's "because its Dunfermline" in the cup, its because it's the hardest Pot 3 team you could get in a fixture that basically decides if we will continue in the cup and the income that would bring which is surely important.

As it stands, our defence looks no better than the start or last season: Watson is a higher pedigree than Lang or Nolan, and a bit younger than Berra who was the one available  back then and a better player still but a fair chunk older. 

Is Masson up to it? Is Corr? Its not inconceivable that we will end up with those two as a starting duo which is far less than ideal.

I dont doubt that a lot of work had been done in recruitment so far, but it's undeniably frustrating for fans, and likely even kore so for the club to be back to trying to plug holes in a half existent defence.

Far too sensible a post but totally agree 👍🏻

12 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if McGill ends up at centre half and does a decent job for us there. It's easy to forget that the lad went from being a squad filler to looking an excellent player in pretty much three positions. There was a game he got chucked in at right back and he was bombing down the wing looking like he'd played his full career there. I think of all our signings, he's definitely flown under the radar.

Absolutely, nobody talks about McGill but he was a standout in the latter stages of last season. Final game against Partick out of position and strolled it. 

Benefit of going to the Linlithgow, Kelty and EF games was the proximity to the pitch and seeing the little things. He’s good. 

23 minutes ago, renton said:

It's where we are. To read some comments you'd think that the club isn't actively trying to bring improvements in. 

As said above, folk are only getting jumpy because it's the Pars first. If it wasn't the case, folk would be content with having the additional three weeks to bring in the right player/s.

We're not at full strength but can still put out a decent side.

1 hour ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Absolutely, nobody talks about McGill but he was a standout in the latter stages of last season. Final game against Partick out of position and strolled it. 

Benefit of going to the Linlithgow, Kelty and EF games was the proximity to the pitch and seeing the little things. He’s good. 

Have to agree.  I think McGill is our best signing for a good while.  Guy can kick a football properly from almost any position on the park.  A proper utility man.  Not had one of those in a long time, and certanily not the same quality.

25 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

The original report of this story in the FFP says will be missing the ‘injured QUARTET, Brown, Connolly, Ross, with Corr very doubtful’ looks like they have omitted the fourth player of the quartet that is injured, more  than likely Mathews🤷🏻‍♂️

4 minutes ago, spot on said:

The original report of this story in the FFP says will be missing the ‘injured QUARTET, Brown, Connolly, Ross, with Corr very doubtful’ looks like they have omitted the fourth player of the quartet that is injured, more  than likely Mathews🤷🏻‍♂️

In fairness to the FFP, I don't think there was a RaithTV interview a few weeks ago to give them the necessary material for their article. 

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a wee bit disappointed about not having another centre half in at this point. I’m sure the club feel the same. However, it is what it is. There is a slightly more interesting dynamic in that if we lose on Saturday, the urgency to get another centre half in almost drops to zero as the chances of us getting through the group stage basically evaporate there and then. If we win, we have a good chance and would really benefit from signing one quickly to solidify that. Guess we’ll see how it goes. 

1 hour ago, Beachbum said:

It’ll be a massive boost if Matthews is in the match day squad and it’ll likely be Millen, Masson, Watson, Dick as the back 4 

4 hours ago, Hadji said:

I said the defense was a bomb scare collectively.  Liam Dick was not the reason the greg young  Ryan Nolan and Tam Lang were let go, and you know that.

The defense last season wasn't good enough, thats an unarguable fact.

As it stands im not sure were in a better state now than we were at the end of last season, could even be a worse place due to Brown and Matthews injuries. 

Yes, last seasons defence had issues, but the point stands. People bemoan last years defence, so we cut loose three defenders and start constructing a new middle for the defence.Now people are bemoaning the fact we haven’t finished rebuilding the defence that we fired the center of less than two months ago, with weeks left before the League starts.

Here’s a question for the Panty Piddling Platoon, if we need a CB so badly, and neither Coor nor Masson are acceptable for now, why hasn’t IM re-signed Nolan? He’s still out of contract and, by all measures, would be potentially better for the first couple of months. Obviously he is too expensive (I understand we were underwriting his housing), not interested, IM believes he’s inferior to Corr and/or Masson, or some other consideration we don’t even see or understand.

Let’s not pretend that this Cup is some money fountain that might solve a multitude of woes. It’s a competition for the outside chance of getting your brains smashed in for a small cut of some of the cash gifted to the OF each year. There’s also a small chance of getting that “magic payday”, and a much better chance of getting a player(s) injured…and as you note the loss of certain players to injuries can make the improvements we’ve made look hollow.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Yes, last seasons defence had issues, but the point stands. People bemoan last years defence, so we cut loose three defenders and start constructing a new middle for the defence.Now people are bemoaning the fact we haven’t finished rebuilding the defence that we fired the center of less than two months ago, with weeks left before the League starts.

Here’s a question for the Panty Piddling Platoon, if we need a CB so badly, and neither Coor nor Masson are acceptable for now, why hasn’t IM re-signed Nolan? He’s still out of contract and, by all measures, would be potentially better for the first couple of months. Obviously he is too expensive (I understand we were underwriting his housing), not interested, IM believes he’s inferior to Corr and/or Masson, or some other consideration we don’t even see or understand.

Let’s not pretend that this Cup is some money fountain that might solve a multitude of woes. It’s a competition for the outside chance of getting your brains smashed in for a small cut of some of the cash gifted to the OF each year. There’s also a small chance of getting that “magic payday”, and a much better chance of getting a player(s) injured…and as you note the loss of certain players to injuries can make the improvements we’ve made look hollow.

Because Nolan is not good enough. Simple he was lightweight in the air and on the ground. Why sign our 3rd best CH from last season when we conceded numerous goals from set pieces. 

Just now, raith1974 said:

Because Nolan is not good enough. Simple he was lightweight in the air and on the ground. Why sign our 3rd best CH from last season when we conceded numerous goals from set pieces. 

EXACTLY the point. Those folks in the PPP (some saying hundreds of CB’s are out there just awaiting our call) would keech their breeks if we re-signed Nolan, so why the assumption we’ve not been trying like hell?

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

We have started to re build and have found it difficult, we've tried to get Muirhead, Murray and Stranger as well as Ngwenya. Its a frustrating part of squad building at this level.

Nolan didn't want to re sign with us. going by his instagram hes training with clubs abroad again.

The competition may not be a "money fountain" but it is a source of income and a much needed one for clubs at our level, any income is welcome... and who doesn't love a good cup run? some of the best games of recent seasons have been in the cups.

2 minutes ago, Hadji said:

We have started to re build and have found it difficult, we've tried to get Muirhead, Murray and Stranger as well as Ngwenya. Its a frustrating part of squad building at this level.

Nolan didn't want to re sign with us. going by his instagram hes training with clubs abroad again.

The competition may not be a "money fountain" but it is a source of income and a much needed one for clubs at our level, any income is welcome... and who doesn't love a good cup run? some of the best games of recent seasons have been in the cups.

As IM says, the Cup comes early. What the League Cup is, for the vast majority of teams, is an excuse for the fans to see different teams and grounds. That’s why they changed it from straight knockout to a group stage…it assured the smaller teams a few extra matches, and an outside chance at the TV income lottery (£17,000 is a lot to a League One/Two side). Starting the League Cup early like this also gives smaller teams a better possible chance of advancing, as early in the new season many sides might be less polished.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Because Nolan didn’t want to resign or Murray didn’t rate him, you can be Nolan’s biggest fan all you want but that’s the reality. We enter cup competitions like every other provincial club hoping to land the OF so we have more money and only you would try and argue last season’s defence was any good 🤦🏻‍♂️

30 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Because Nolan didn’t want to resign or Murray didn’t rate him, you can be Nolan’s biggest fan all you want but that’s the reality. We enter cup competitions like every other provincial club hoping to land the OF so we have more money and only you would try and argue last season’s defence was any good 🤦🏻‍♂️

I’m pointing out something you seem to be missing in your complaint. You say we haven’t signed enough…you say that Nolan isn’t good enough…OK, fine, make up your mind. Nolan started for us last year and is thereby, by default, a reasonable person to sign if we’re that short, especially if we’d be pairing him with Watson, no? Wait, IM doesn’t think he’s worth signing, what could that mean?

Could it be we have a loan already tentatively agreed upon, someone better than Nolan? Could it be Nolan wants too much money? Could it be Nolan doesn’t want to be here? Or could it be any of an hundred other factors…some or all of these factors could apply to almost any of the apparently available CB’s (according to some posters) that are just waiting for us to pluck them from the North CB Sea.

Just to clarify, I actually think Masson is about 90% of Nolan right now and Corr is probably as good. Oh, and last seasons defence wasn’t terrible, in that it had a specific weakness for set-pieces, and that’s hardly down to the CB’s alone.