The New Raith Rovers Thread

10 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

It was straight down his throat and he tried to make it look harder than it was, the look on his face when he realised he'd missed it and it was in the net said it all for me, wants to please the crowd instead of doing the easy stuff. 

He tried to make it look harder than it was? Do you really believe that?

He's playing to the crowd in the midst of an opposition attack and a big centre forward bulleting a header at him?

He thinks to himself, this is an easy one but I'll make it look hard?

18 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I do worry about a lot of our fans who seem to think that kicking it out to the touchline is somehow just a bad attempt at kicking it up the middle. 

I don't think anyone does, but the accuracy of the kick is just providing the ball back to the opposition.

What I do worry about is the inability of fans to know the passback rule given the amount of them screaming for a free kick when the Morton lad inadvertantly sent the ball back to MacDonald with a mis-kick

3 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I don't think anyone does, but the accuracy of the kick is just providing the ball back to the opposition.

What I do worry about is the inability of fans to know the passback rule given the amount of them screaming for a free kick when the Morton lad inadvertantly sent the ball back to MacDonald with a mis-kick

I’ve said I don’t think his distribution is great already, but realistically if he gets a by kick slightly wrong and it goes out for a throw in at the half way line, that’s much preferable to just kicking it up the middle and a centre half heading it directly back at us, but if the latter happened 10 times in a game you wouldn’t hear a peep from anyone. 

26 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

He tried to make it look harder than it was? Do you really believe that?

He's playing to the crowd in the midst of an opposition attack and a big centre forward bulleting a header at him?

He thinks to himself, this is an easy one but I'll make it look hard?

I'll wait until the highlights and I'll watch it again but from where I was sitting it definitely looked like he was tring to make the save look good but missed the ball. I'll hold my hands up if I'm wrong though.

29 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I’ll hopefully get a chance to see it back on the highlights but the one instance I can think of where folk were screaming, “Passback!” certainly looked like a pass back.

Absolutely every chance I’m misremembering but the one I’m thinking of definitely didn’t seem a mis-kick; more a controlled ball, passed back…to the ‘keeper? In the moment, seemed pretty textbook.

1 minute ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

I’ll hopefully get a chance to see it back on the highlights but the one instance I can think of where folk were screaming, “Passback!” certainly looked like a pass back.

Absolutely every chance I’m misremembering but the one I’m thinking of definitely didn’t seem a mis-kick; more a controlled ball, passed back…to the ‘keeper? In the moment, seemed pretty textbook.

If we are thinking of the same one, the boy miskicks it really badly and it dribbles back to McDonald. You’ve maybe just had a bad angle of it, but it wasn’t a passback. 

1 minute ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

Definitely wasn't deliberate, don't even think the players reacted, just the crowd.

From where I was sitting it looked like he turned the ball back to the keeper, which made me think if he meant it. Didn’t really affect the game though so not a massive issue. 

Great to have Brown back in the midfield, superb at mopping up the pish when he came on. Byrne too. Those 2 should probably start at Easter Road in front of the defence.

18 minutes ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

No way a player in this league is skilful enough to do that! 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

I find it interesting that people are questioning “Big Kev”, when I see a younger player (25, young for a keeper) who is still learning, and is going to get better all season with IM, Watson and Robbie all imparting wisdom weekly. He was critical to our advancing in the Cup and now he’s a liability? He has the tools, let’s watch him grow as he learns his trade with us.

Whist I agree that Kev is young and has a lot he can learn. The fact his main issue Is he is not commanding his area. The big issue for me us the goalkeeping Coach shall we say it was even worse at commanding his area. We all loved Scott Thomson but he was nicknamed Dracula for a reason. I don't see Robbie as any different. If he can't do it himself how is he going to teach it to others. 

Edited by foreverarover

7 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Great to have Brown back in the midfield, superb at mopping up the pish when he came on. Byrne too. Those 2 should probably start at Easter Road in front of the defence.

Definitely don't disagree with this.

Does leave a good few players fighting it out for the 3 slots in front of them.

I would probably play

Ross Stanton Smith 

But its a big call to drop Mullin, Easton or Vaughan.

Who would have predicted 8 days ago that Ross should be starting at the expense of potentially Vaughan, Easton 🤣🤣

Thats the beauty of the squad now in forward positions..don’t play well you don’t play..Murray mentions this in his post match interview that he said as much at halftime. 

So, so good to see Brown back on the pitch. He broke down their play 4 times by my memory and he just adds such as solid foundation to the team. 

Praying to see Stanton given a run of games in a forward role, he’s so good.

Easton anonymous today but understandable as the way Morton play rendered him trying to win headers. Time for Vaughan to have at least a game from the bench to see how we look.

5 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Who would have predicted 8 days ago that Ross should be starting at the expense of potentially Vaughan, Easton 🤣🤣

Thats the beauty of the squad now in forward positions..don’t play well you don’t play..Murray mentions this in his post match interview that he said as much at halftime. 

So, so good to see Brown back on the pitch. He broke down their play 4 times by my memory and he just adds such as solid foundation to the team. 

Praying to see Stanton given a run of games in a forward role, he’s so good.

Easton anonymous today but understandable as the way Morton play rendered him trying to win headers. Time for Vaughan to have at least a game from the bench to see how we look.

Easton was also not exactly skipping off when subbed, it looked like he’d taken a decent knock. The beauty now is he could rest a match plus and we have other options that seem as good.

26 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Remember a couple of weeks ago when loads on here were wanting Ethan Ross punted out on loan to Cove Rangers?

Yep, not me though. His dip in from previous was down to lingering injury issues. An absolute menace in the wing and he’ll create us goals with a run in the team. 
Onto Sunday I think we’ll need Byrne, Brown and Stanton to play. Hibs look they’ve got a stronger squad than they’ve had for a while - Boyle, Vente and Newell look standout the other day. Free hit and a day out in the capital, no pressure…that’ll come the following week at EEP where the Pars look extremely difficult to beat with a threadbare squad.