The New Raith Rovers Thread

42 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Remember a couple of weeks ago when loads on here were wanting Ethan Ross punted out on loan to Cove Rangers?

I thought 6 months would do him well to get fit and confident.  More than happy to be wrong.  The real issue was people wanting us to release him...

58 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Remember a couple of weeks ago when loads on here were wanting Ethan Ross punted out on loan to Cove Rangers?

Yep, I was one of those who thought he'd need a spell out to get fitness and confidence back. More than happy to have been proven very wrong so far.

Looking back, the fact that Connor McBride was starting ahead of Ross, and that we were only using Ross very, very sparingly as a sub in games we really needed to get something from, should have been a pretty clear sign he was nowhere near fit at the end of last season. I think someone posted something a few weeks back about how much discomfort Ethan was in when he was playing before the summer, and hopefully that's him well on the road to recovery and match fitness now.

Now, I hear from Murray's post-match interview that Jamie Gullan isn't far off coming back. Let's hope he is the next to prove me wrong 😉 

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

TBF, the kiosk products from Stuarts outweighed the need for this.

We keep Ethan, and get decent comestibles from Buckhind.

Aiden Connolly not too far away also it seems which is tremendous. 
We’re gonna go from a bench of last year of McBride, Mahady, Arnott, Ngwenya to some of the following - Connolly, Easton, Byrne, Gullan, McGill, Ross, Stanton etc.

Just leaves Matthews & Corr out. Feel really sorry for Matthews, basically bar a friendly he’s not been seen for 18 months and the issue is he doesn’t get in the team with Brown and Byrne. 

Pleasing Murray has went from having no bench to a selection issue of a top player not making the starting 11.

3 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

Don't think that was the craziest shout ever.  We had absolutely nothing from Ross last season, and he was nowhere to be seen throughout all of pre season and the league cup.  Also keeping in mind the considerable expense the club went to to sign him, as well as the plethora of options we have in that department.

I'm obviously delighted at how he's started the season, but it wasn't expected in any way really.

7 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Don't think that was the craziest shout ever.  We had absolutely nothing from Ross last season, and he was nowhere to be seen throughout all of pre season and the league cup.  Also keeping in mind the considerable expense the club went to to sign him, as well as the plethora of options we have in that department.

I'm obviously delighted at how he's started the season, but it wasn't expected in any way really.

I was also guilty of thinking it made sense as a way to round back into form.

The failure to send off Broadfoot after the clear trip for the second penalty is perplexing.

3 hours ago, CALDERON said:

I was one of those people too, like you said he offered zero last season. To see him now is like a new signing. Ross and Gullan are two players I want to see excel at the club. 

8 hours ago, Daz80 said:

Vaughan sets up the first goal, wins and scores the pen for the second. No bad for someone needing a place on the bench according to some. 

I think it’s less a case of him ‘needing a place on the bench’ & mibbe more to do with the fact that, once all attacking players are fully fit - you’ve a decision to make.

Ethan Ross coming back to fitness & putting in cameo appearances like he has, mean he’s doing his bit to stake a claim for a starting spot. Connolly coming back complicates things further.

These are positive problems to have, in the grand scheme of things, & I suspect rotation will be key for Murray’s approach but, ultimately, Vaughan - like Easton, Smith, Mullin etc. - is not guaranteed a start simply because he’s fit (which, let’s be frank, was the case for a lot of the team last season at times). 

Was looking forward to hearing the roar from the crowd as the third goal went in so disappointed to see we’ve stuck commentary over the audio on the highlights. Like everybody else I’m a huge fan of everything Raith TV do for us and have nothing but appreciation for the guys but hopefully this isn’t the plan moving forward, it’s unnecessary and dilutes the enjoyment of watching it back for me. 

Hi guys. In August last year Ross McLean - a very good friend’s brother - committed suicide in Glenrothes. Ross was reported missing on August 14 and we searched for him for 5 days, before finding him at rest in a quiet wooded area near his home. Ross’ family are understandably devastated by their loss and that they were unable to help Ross, but are determined that for others in a similar position, there is help available. 

Ross was and his family are East Fife supporters, so we will be taking part in a charity 11s game to celebrate Ross’ life at Bayview a week today, with all funds raised for the fantastic charity - Back Onside. A just giving page has already raised nearly £5,000, and we have managed to secure signed strips for a number of clubs, Rovers being one. The strip is available below, and all money raised will go to Back Onside to help those who need it. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364414732235?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=az5yphsksue&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=ec0uwzxiswu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

There is also a donations page, if you’d like to donate anything:

https://www.justgiving.com/page/matchforross

Edited by Hank Scorpio

1 hour ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

I think it’s less a case of him ‘needing a place on the bench’ & mibbe more to do with the fact that, once all attacking players are fully fit - you’ve a decision to make.

Ethan Ross coming back to fitness & putting in cameo appearances like he has, mean he’s doing his bit to stake a claim for a starting spot. Connolly coming back complicates things further.

These are positive problems to have, in the grand scheme of things, & I suspect rotation will be key for Murray’s approach but, ultimately, Vaughan - like Easton, Smith, Mullin etc. - is not guaranteed a start simply because he’s fit (which, let’s be frank, was the case for a lot of the team last season at times). 

Unfortunately, it's unlikely we'll have an injury free squad all season, but even when everyone is available, rotation is important.

A good example is Plymouth Argyle last season, who won their league with over 100 points. Ryan Hardie had a great season and played in most games, but rarely completed 90 minutes. They had four good forwards so they would start with two, go full tilt for maybe an hour, then replace them with two forwards from the bench without weakening the team.

The difference between yesterday and last season is we have guys coming off the bench who are going to at least maintain the standard of the team, whereas last season it was often just a case of throwing a body on to have 11 on the park.

Imagine having Gullan and Smith on either flank going full tilt for an hour then having the fresh  legs of Ross and Connolly off the bench to replace them. Then the next game, vice versa. 😎

Edited by Specky Ginger

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Hi guys. In August last year Ross McLean - a very good friend’s brother - committed suicide in Glenrothes. Ross was reported missing on August 14 and we searched for him for 5 days, before finding him at rest in a quiet wooded area near his home. Ross’ family are understandably devastated by their loss and that they were unable to help Ross, but are determined that for others in a similar position, there is help available. 

Ross was and his family are East Fife supporters, so we will be taking part in a charity 11s game to celebrate Ross’ life at Bayview a week today, with all funds raised for the fantastic charity - Back Onside. A just giving page has already raised nearly £5,000, and we have managed to secure signed strips for a number of clubs, Rovers being one. The strip is available below, and all money raised will go to Back Onside to help those who need it. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364414732235?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=az5yphsksue&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=ec0uwzxiswu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It's a pity that the game lands on the same day as the Hibs game or I would have gone along.

I never knew Ross, but know his dad Kenny, through work, and he's an absolute diamond of a guy. I know Kenny raised quite a bit of money in the Kingdom Centre last week for the charity.

Happy to make a donation with not being able to make the game.

3 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

It's a pity that the game lands on the same day as the Hibs game or I would have gone along.

I never knew Ross, but know his dad Kenny, through work, and he's an absolute diamond of a guy. I know Kenny raised quite a bit of money in the Kingdom Centre last week for the charity.

Happy to make a donation with not being able to make the game.

Yeah, it’s a shame the way it’s worked out with our game being moved to the Sunday. Kenny is a great guy, heart of gold. The donation link is:

Here

Edited by Hank Scorpio

30 minutes ago, Starkiplier said:

Was looking forward to hearing the roar from the crowd as the third goal went in so disappointed to see we’ve stuck commentary over the audio on the highlights. Like everybody else I’m a huge fan of everything Raith TV do for us and have nothing but appreciation for the guys but hopefully this isn’t the plan moving forward, it’s unnecessary and dilutes the enjoyment of watching it back for me. 

When it gets posted without commentary, folk want it on. When it gets posted with it, people want it off. The plan isn’t to put it on permanently unless RTV are told to.

Was on this package because there was other noises close by the camera throughout that didn’t fit the highlights. Will be adjusting microphone setup accordingly. On the Killie game, the footage we were sent had other comms on it so they were replaced with our own.

37 minutes ago, Starkiplier said:

Chatted about this over breakfast and prretty much the opposite in my house. Think it's great and more engaging. Like Roath Raver posts can't please ask the folk all the time. Wonder if the singing section might be an issue for their mics though clearly not yesterday. 

14 minutes ago, Roath Raver said:

When it gets posted without commentary, folk want it on. When it gets posted with it, people want it off. The plan isn’t to put it on permanently unless RTV are told to.

Was on this package because there was other noises close by the camera throughout that didn’t fit the highlights. Will be adjusting microphone setup accordingly. On the Killie game, the footage we were sent had other comms on it so they were replaced with our own.

Appreciate the response and I’m glad to hear it’s not the plan to add it in permanently. Wasn’t a criticism of yourself or anyone else at Raith TV, whenever I’ve watched a stream the commentary has always been enjoyable but when it comes to the highlights I always look forward to seeing and hearing the raw emotion of the goals being scored again, the roar when the equaliser went in at Partick was something else and it sounded like there was 5000 of us there not 500. I get that others may prefer the commentary but I’d be very surprised if that was a majority opinion. 

45 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

There is also a donations page, if you’d like to donate anything:

https://www.justgiving.com/page/matchforross

I worked with Ross, he was a driver at Stagecoach, a really happy go lucky guy. I knew he had problems. But he was trying to address those problems. RIP mate. 

Last week they cameras facing the fans for the equaliser, hopefully same this week because it was a great roar as the 3rd went in.

There may also have been a great big "get it roond ye" from the back of the South stand. 

12 hours ago, Daz80 said:

Vaughan sets up the first goal, wins and scores the pen for the second. No bad for someone needing a place on the bench according to some. 

I think for many it’s more the two yellows in two games for petulant behavior.