The New Raith Rovers Thread

34 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I've been a wee bit out the loop. Has there been any sort of prognosis for Keith Watson? 

The FFP suggested Corr and Matthews are the only two who will miss out, albeit I do feel that their sports section can be filed under a minimal effort category. 

19 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I've been a wee bit out the loop. Has there been any sort of prognosis for Keith Watson? 

Defender Keith Watson was replaced early in the game on Saturday and will be checked on Friday before a decision is made on his fitness.

10 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I'd be a wee bit dissapointed if there isn't a loan signing in today of some description, given we've let 3 players go out on loan, and Connolly hasn't really featured so will be short on match fitness.

I hope we do see someone, either a striker to back up Hamilton or an extra body into the backline, but in Andy Barrowman's interview he said something along the lines of "We'd probably overstretched the budget somewhat earlier in the window, but we've been able to correct for that recently", so it might well be that the three loans out (Ethan Ross in particular) are paying for the business already done, rather than making room for more additions. 

54 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

in Andy Barrowman's interview he said something along the lines of "We'd probably overstretched the budget somewhat earlier in the window, but we've been able to correct for that recently", so it might well be that the three loans out (Ethan Ross in particular) are paying for the business already done, rather than making room for more additions. 

That's what I took from the interview also. 

16 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Cracking result with 1 Centre half - who then got injured after 5 minutes.

Thought it was Murray's poorest game for us but as you say he was injured early on and there was definitely not a lack of effort from him. I thought millen had a poor game as well. He needs to stop letting his man face him up so easily. Brown did absolutely fine at cb beyond letting dowds get the run of him for the goal. I thought Byrne was very good today. You could see his experience thoughout the game, knowing when to buy a foul and slow the game down. Our game management was generally good in the second half but I do think Murray should have made a change earlier to try and control the central areas more. I thought mcgill in to cm would have been the right change for Vaughan. I don't think gullan offered anything when he came on today and if Hamilton was fit, I doubt he would have got on when he did. Vaughan was perhaps a little lucky not to see red today and if it wasn't for the afters from the Ayr players, I think he might have but I'd like to see a replay of it. The result definitely sets up next week against utd nicely though. Hopefully Watson is back for that one. 

I thought Easton was luckier than Vaughan not to see red as he lifted both hands. The Ayr player's reaction was disgraceful, but if the referee had seen it, he could well have walked.

In saying that, if the referee had blown for the blatant foul on Stanton seconds before, the whole situation would have been avoided.

Brilliant win.First 30 minutes we were very good.Was it more like a 4-4-2 we were playing?

Two good goals from Easton set up by Stanton-surely we are discussing new contracts with them both.

Went into our shell last 10 minutes of 1st half and let Ayr into it and you knew it was going to be a tough afternoon once they scored early in 2nd half.

The pushing and shoving match sparked things a wee bit-Easton lucky not to get a yellow but no more than that.

McAllister for Ayr lucky after that not to get a 2nd yellow for foul on Easton.

Dug in well to get the win.Sure Callum Smith made tackle of the match in the box late on when the Ayr player skinned Millen (again) and a few others when he cut in.

Wee mention for Kev who made a cracking save after a few nervy moments (again).

Big one next week.Hopefully fill that South Stand.

Did stanton not sign a new deal in the summer? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part. First name on the team sheet for me every week. Connolly hasn't kicked a ball for us yet this season and he had a good partnership with millen on the right last season. I like Mullen so far and think we've missed him when he hasn't played but a fit connolly gives Murray another headache. 

17 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Did stanton not sign a new deal in the summer? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part. First name on the team sheet for me every week. Connolly hasn't kicked a ball for us yet this season and he had a good partnership with millen on the right last season. I like Mullen so far and think we've missed him when he hasn't played but a fit connolly gives Murray another headache. 

As far as I'm aware Stanton is only contracted until next summer. Although of the guys whose contracts are up at the end of this season, he's absolutely the one I'd want to be sitting down with first to discuss an extension. Hopefully if we can put a good run of results together and look like we're building something, we can convince him to sign on again - even if he's on a McGlynn contract, he's worth it.

1 minute ago, Kuma Power said:

As far as I'm aware Stanton is only contracted until next summer. Although of the guys whose contracts are up at the end of this season, he's absolutely the one I'd want to be sitting down with first to discuss an extension. Hopefully if we can put a good run of results together and look like we're building something, we can convince him to sign on again - even if he's on a McGlynn contract, he's worth it.

If we don't give him a new contract he won't be short of offers. I remember Dumbarton fans raving about how good he was and I didn't believe it at the time, but he has everything needed to actually play at a higher level for me. The only thing he's missing is a right foot but against qp he played a fantastic cross in for smith to get the first goal with it so he still has that in his locker as well. 

The way we lined up today we had 5 players who you couldn't describe as out and out strikers but the way they all linked up with the short and sharp passing was a joy to watch especially in the first half. Stanton’s run forward and pass for eastons second has been spoken about but I think the touch and pass from callum smith to get stanton on his way was fantastic and deserves a mention. 

Next week is Imo, a massive game for us and one where we can really set a marker for what we're going to do this season. I would be very surprised to see us play the same way from the off but it may be a gamble worth taking early on. 

Stanton is indeed only contracted through seasons end. He’ll be expensive to re-sign right now, which unfortunately is a consideration. Honestly, I think there’s a greater chance of him being signed away at the January window than re-signed before seasons end. He’s 29, and looks capable of English League Two, if not League One or Scottish Premiership play. This may be his (last) chance to break into those ranks, so I don’t see him rushing to sign a new contract with Raith, unless it’s very generous…probably more generous than we can really afford right now. This is the ugly reality of Fitba.

At season’s end we could be looking at a drop in form and less interest, be looking to sign players for the Premiership next season, or wondering exactly what we can afford to offer him…I guess we’ll have to wait and see.