The New Raith Rovers Thread

Same for me the bonus of a match with it being on the telly.

Could we please tie Stanton down to an extension before the nation sees him set about the pars again. 

Edited by pub car king

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

Same for me the bonus of a match with it being on the telly.

Could we please tie Stanton down to an extension before the nation sees him set about the pars again. 

We’d be absolutely crazy not to try and get him to sign on again, unless the finances aren’t there. 

I'm absolutely sure we'll be on at Stanton to sign, but the decision will rest with him. He'll not be short of offers from teams in the bottom 6 of the top flight. Why would you sign a new deal when you can potentially play at a better level, and earn a bit more money doing so. By the same token, do you really want to go to some potential basketcase given how the "project" has started at Rovers?

16 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Oh feck, Thomson, McNeil, Corr, Dick, Masson, Millen, Watson,  Byrne, Easton, McGill,  Mathews, Mullin, Stanton, Gullan, Vaughan, Arnott, Mitchell, and Ross. All out of contract in June

Think we need a few more folk in the 1883 club 

Your two years out with Mullin and I’m sure that a lot depends on what league we will be in

Edited by spot on

36 minutes ago, spot on said:

Your two years out with Mullin and I’m sure that a lot depends on what league we will be in

That's one less to think about then, mind you management team are also out of contract next year or am I mistaken with that too

Its early days yet anyway, was just interesting to see what the answer was to the question  

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

50 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Oh feck, Thomson, McNeil, Corr, Dick, Masson, Millen, Watson,  Byrne, Easton, McGill,  Mathews, Mullin, Stanton, Gullan, Vaughan, Arnott, Mitchell, and Ross. All out of contract in June

To be fair, not many of them are Premier League quality so we'll need rid of them anyway... 

1 hour ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Although I hope all do well for us if we want to improve year on year decisions to release some players will need to happen. I'll start with injuries, can we justify contracts for Corr and Gullan. Matthews is one I'd keep even though he's missed over a year of football. Arnott and Mitchell are unlikely to be offered contracts if they aren't performing at lower levels. Ross is likely to be offered nothing to free up a bigger wage. 

That leaves Byrne who isn't our player, Vaughan who will stand by us as we have stood by him. I'm sure if we offer contracts to Dick, Masson, McNeil and McGill all will sign on. That leaves Easton who is a game changer and Stanton that provides so much. These 2 are must get signed up for the next season or 2.

5 hours ago, pub car king said:

I'm sure our lone star statesman will be along to fill us in but I'm sure there's a fair few out of contract in the summer. 

IDK, SirJimmy's pretty close...

4 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

The big question is who on that list do we want...and who on that list can command a raise?

2 hours ago, raith1974 said:

Although I hope all do well for us if we want to improve year on year decisions to release some players will need to happen. I'll start with injuries, can we justify contracts for Corr and Gullan. Matthews is one I'd keep even though he's missed over a year of football. Arnott and Mitchell are unlikely to be offered contracts if they aren't performing at lower levels. Ross is likely to be offered nothing to free up a bigger wage. 

That leaves Byrne who isn't our player, Vaughan who will stand by us as we have stood by him. I'm sure if we offer contracts to Dick, Masson, McNeil and McGill all will sign on. That leaves Easton who is a game changer and Stanton that provides so much. These 2 are must get signed up for the next season or 2.

Corr is likely a relatively cheap contract this year to get him a showcase...it hasn't worked for him so far, but I think there's enough there to bring him back if someone else doesn't grab him.

Gullan just isn't the player we use him as...he's a poor fit for the team, and likely to leave.

Matthews, depends how he comes back...dare I say, if he comes back?

Arnott is almost certainly gone, whihc is strange because he seems to have regressed. I disagree with letting Mitchell go, he's a young striker who's shown flashes and is fast as a thief, I think he's worth some more risk.

Ross just isn't delivering, sadly.

Byrne, is out of contract with Dundee, what will they do? Will they try for a wee bit in January, or just ride it out? I'd certainly want him back.

Vaughan, he's the team mascot, he'll be here.

Dick, that's an interesting one. If Hannah was in his second year and shown a wee bit, Dick might be expendable since he doesn't bomb forward as much as Murray seems to want. Maybe a one year deal, if he'll take it?

Masson, I think Murray wants him, will Masson sign on again after this year and his disappointing playing time, or will he look elsewhere. I think he'll have opportunities.

McNeil, that's Murray's goalie of the future for several years now, it may depend if Big Kev keeping doing what he is, how long will BK be here?

Thomson is comfortable here coaching and backing up, and it works ideally with his side gigs.

McGill is an IM guy all the way, and I'd want him for his utility alone.

Easton and Stanton will both have possible offers from other teams, possibly some from above or down South (less likely), what will they do? I absolutely agree they could be THE key signings.

Meanwhile, I got to thinking about our play this year, so far, versus last...drawn, ahead, behind...and came up with this visual:

Screenshot2023-11-02205524.thumb.png.03c0ab32ce60327cb77f2bf05663d86d.pngScreenshot2023-11-02205602.thumb.png.1bdb1936f3c3f219ebf33128d559b3b7.png

The obvious difference this year versus last is quite obvious. We're showing more ability to hold a lead, and better resilience.

Edited by TxRover

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

Meanwhile, I got to thinking about our play this year, so far, versus last...drawn, ahead, behind...and came up with this visual:

Screenshot2023-11-02205524.thumb.png.03c0ab32ce60327cb77f2bf05663d86d.pngScreenshot2023-11-02205602.thumb.png.1bdb1936f3c3f219ebf33128d559b3b7.png

The obvious difference this year versus last is quite obvious. We're showing more ability to hold a lead, and better resilience.

Brilliant effort Tx, I love this type of shit. 

Using your excellent visualiser I’ve put some stats on this year compared to last year. 

In 22/23 we went behind in 18 games. 
We lost 83% of games we went behind. 
We won only 6% of games we went behind (just 1 win from a losing position all season). 
We took 0.28ppg from a losing position.

In 23/24 we’ve been behind in 3 games.
We’ve won and lost 33% of the games where we’ve gone behind.
We’ve taken 1.33ppg from a losing position so far.  

In 22/23 we took the lead in 21 games. 
We won 52% of the games where we took the lead. 
We lost 10% of the games where we took the lead. 
We took 1.95ppg from a winning position

In 23/24 we’ve taken the lead in 8 games so far. 
We've won 88% of games where we’ve gone in front.
We’ve never lost a game from a winning position so far. 

We’ve taken 2.75ppg from games where we’ve taken the lead so far. 

It’s a relatively small sample size for this season so far but the stats clearly back up the feeling we have of this team being more resilient than last seasons team. 

I’m away to look at goal timings now….

Again using the visualiser from Tx, this may not be 100% accurate as I’m using my small phone screen to decipher, but I think the following is true;

Goals in the last 5mins of the 1st half

22/23 F=3 A=3

23/24 F=1 A=1

Goals in the first 10mins of the second half

22/23 F=4 A=10

23/24 F=0 A=2

Goals in the last 5mins (85mins onwards)

22/23 F=0 A=3

23/24 F=4 A=0

Last season we lost 3 points by losing late goals, this season so far we’ve gained 10points with late goals. 

What a turn-around. 

Fancy doing a scatter plot in 5 minute intervals of goals for and against over the last three seasons? Wondering if you'd see a big spike in goals against in the first ten mins of the second half vs other times...

37 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Again using the visualiser from Tx, this may not be 100% accurate as I’m using my small phone screen to decipher, but I think the following is true;

22/23 F=3 A=3

23/24 F=1 A=1

22/23 F=4 A=10

23/24 F=0 A=2

22/23 F=0 A=3

23/24 F=4 A=0

Last season we lost 3 points by losing late goals, this season so far we’ve gained 10points with late goals. 

What a turn-around. 

This is the main thing to take away, we've cut down on losing goals at key times and have actually started scoring goals at key times. We're getting like the old Man Utd sides with Fergie time. 

These are the fine margins you win and lose by and an awful lot of work has gone into turning this around. 

1 hour ago, stevoraith said:

Brilliant effort Tx, I love this type of shit. 

Using your excellent visualiser I’ve put some stats on this year compared to last year. 

In 22/23 we went behind in 18 games. 
We lost 83% of games we went behind. 
We won only 6% of games we went behind (just 1 win from a losing position all season). 
We took 0.28ppg from a losing position.

In 23/24 we’ve been behind in 3 games.
We’ve won and lost 33% of the games where we’ve gone behind.
We’ve taken 1.33ppg from a losing position so far.  

In 22/23 we took the lead in 21 games. 
We won 52% of the games where we took the lead. 
We lost 10% of the games where we took the lead. 
We took 1.95ppg from a winning position

In 23/24 we’ve taken the lead in 8 games so far. 
We've won 88% of games where we’ve gone in front.
We’ve never lost a game from a winning position so far. 

We’ve taken 2.75ppg from games where we’ve taken the lead so far. 

It’s a relatively small sample size for this season so far but the stats clearly back up the feeling we have of this team being more resilient than last seasons team. 

I’m away to look at goal timings now….

1 hour ago, stevoraith said:

22/23 F=3 A=3

23/24 F=1 A=1

22/23 F=4 A=10

23/24 F=0 A=2

22/23 F=0 A=3

23/24 F=4 A=0

What a turn-around. 

Nice use of the chart, which is hopefully pretty correct (I threw it together while waiting on some other items). Even given the small sample size, the change (in league)  is huge!