The New Raith Rovers Thread

RaithTV will need to do me a solid here, and I couldn't quite believe it looking back, but that first goal has outdone the Hendry opener in the 5-1 game as a passing move. Before Easton goes on his run, we get in 13 passes and it starts with Josh Mullin bombing down the left wing. After that, it's switched to the right with Brown, Stanton and Connolly all getting touches in. It's then back out to Easton who absolutely ruins them. Glorious stuff. 

15 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Probably one for @TxRover but Soccerbase has that as our biggest margin win away to Dunfermline since 1938, surely that’s not right!?

I don’t have any better source than that, and it looks right in terms of a three goal win. Our good performances since then seem to have been at home.

41 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Bullshit, considering we have a fairly small squad. How much is Owen Moffat costing for his loan.

Aye absolute bullshit. Likes of Moffat and MoH will be costing them more than anyone in our squad.

42 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

RaithTV will need to do me a solid here, and I couldn't quite believe it looking back, but that first goal has outdone the Hendry opener in the 5-1 game as a passing move. Before Easton goes on his run, we get in 13 passes and it starts with Josh Mullin bombing down the left wing. After that, it's switched to the right with Brown, Stanton and Connolly all getting touches in. It's then back out to Easton who absolutely ruins them. Glorious stuff. 

OK, on the full match replay, starts at 20:48 (game clock 13:54)…

Pars cross in from wide, Mullin picks it up and trundles out across the halfway line, wide left…pass one is back to Easton…pass two is in to Smith…pass three is in/back to Stanton…pass four is wide right to Millen…pass five is to Connolly, on the right at the midfield line…he works in/forward and then turns back and makes pass six to Stanton…who immediately makes pass seven back/wide to Millen…who immediately makes pass eight back/central to Brown…who considers, dummies and slides a laser for pass nine forward Connolly…who redirects it in and forward to Vaughan for pass ten…Vaughan maneuvers and passes back/central to Stanton for pass number eleven…who passes forward/wide left to Easton for pass twelve…who slaloms his way deep into the penalty area and then makes pass thirteen forward to Hamilton, who pots the red at 21:35/14:42.

So, yes, I count 13 passes plus the shot, in about 47-48 seconds…a little less than 1% of the match.

Edit: BTW, that’s Mullin, Easton 2, Smith, Stanton 3, Millen 2, Connolly 2, Brown, Vaughan and Hamilton…so 9 of the 10 outfield players touched it, sorry Daniel.

Edited by TxRover

26 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

I’d like to apologise to @TxRover for the Ross Millen at CB shout, I thought it was absolutely wild but turned out it was the right decision and he played very well in the right side of a 3 

No apology needed…I wasn’t thrilled at the idea of CB…but this was more RCB and well within his remit…but if we’d known we were gonna be Dickless, the fever dreams might have been intense!

Few of us really know exactly what both clubs are spending. From the outside looking in Raith invested heavily early doors getting players in that would be in demand. We waited and waited then picked up guys that were struggling to find a club, so would perhaps lead folk to believe that these guys were on less money.

Anyway no complaints tonight. Beaten by the far better team on the night. 

Edited by da_no_1

1 hour ago, da_no_1 said:

Few of us really know exactly what both clubs are spending. From the outside looking in Raith invested heavily early doors getting players in that would be in demand. We waited and waited then picked up guys that were struggling to find a club, so would perhaps lead folk to believe that these guys were on less money.

Anyway no complaints tonight. Beaten by the far better team on the night. 

The catch there is the guys we pulled in last year were relatively cheap, coming from parttime gigs and such...this years crop was certainly more expensive, but we also dropped MacDonald, Lang, Spencer and Bene, who were likely some of our highest salaries. Corr (a Celtic B release, likely agreed for less in order to play), Hamilton (a Livi castoff, so I wouldn't think he'd command a huge premium), Mullin (an Accies ex, via Ayr, so again not likely a top dollar guy), Smith (from Airdrie, again not a top cost guy), Dąbrowski (a Hibs castoff, attracted by the starting role being open, again, not likely very expensive), Watson (Ross County discard, not very likely to be terribly expensive). I wouldn't be entirely surprised if we didn't cover almost all those six by releasing those first four.

The club admitted that the 2022-2023 season was a massively reduced salary cost versus 2021-2022 (I think almost a 40-50% reduction was mooted), and the team total salary very possibly dropped again this season with the smaller squad. They admitted Ross was loaned out to balance the books a bit, since Byrne wasn't budgeted initially, and its now likely O'Reilly has bumped it up again, but I also think they are probably expecting a higher finish now than before the season.

The morning after the night before.

Was worried/excited when I seen the starting lineup. But what was their to worry about.

Big Kev was as solid as ever, looking much better at cross balls-couple of cracking punches and takes and that was as good a penalty save as you’ll see this season-brilliant reaction after as well!

The defence were brilliant. I can see Brown playing in there for a while now unless Murray wants to rest Byrne. Millen and O’Reilly had good games as well. Like the look of O’Reilly who will be a threat on attacking set pieces as well.

Stanton was Stanton-class throughout and gets his usual goal against that lot.

Connolly and Smith deserve loads of praise-workrate through the roof.

Thought it was Mullins best game this season.

Easton was Easton and strong in the tackle as well.

Vaughan-what a goal, what celebrations after it.What watching your local team is all about.

Hamilton-if he stays fit we will be right up there at the end of the season.

Ian Murray!! Talk all week of the lineup and we all had ideas in our heads and I’m sure he did as well. Dick not being available maybe made it easier for him. Whatever he got it bang on. The play at times was top class. But the work rate throughout the team was what impressed me the most. A decent cup run could be on the cards here.

That was a joy to watch! Ian Murray and the boardroom have got it spot on with this squad. They deserve a lot of praise for the way they have approached the takeover and with the shape the club now looks for the bottom to the top.

What I most enjoy every week though is the bond you can see between the fans and the players. They just look like they love the fans and they pump up thr crowd at every opportunity! 

Always proud to support my team but I have to say this season I have never felt closer!! 

What a team we have :)

When I saw the way big Kev celebrated the Fife cup penalty shoot out win at Kelty I knew I was going to like the man. Shot stopping and shithousing what a combo.

Hamilton was imense at both ends of the pitch.

Going forward Stanton and Easton are an absolute joy to watch at the moment. Mullin with his touches of class, and Smith with his work rate have been class additions.

Connolly single handedly carried us for months last year and its great to see him back and showing the same form.

Brown... best Murray signing. Rock solid. 

Vaughan... what a Rover what a goal.

Millen...the townies absolutely hate him. Never change Ross :)

Not trying to blow smoke up his backside, but there was a brilliant moment from Brown in the game last night, when Millen gets trapped down in the corner and had two pars players closing down on him, they had cut off both angles. Brown realised that and had a look and just found the gap between them to give Millen a different angle to pass to him and get him out of trouble. I loathe myself using this phrase, but it was Great “football  intelligence” and summed up the work ethic of him and the team of just wanting to help his teammate out. 

Edited by buchan30