The New Raith Rovers Thread

Jack Hamilton didn't play well, but he also had precious little support and had to deal with CBs that were bigger and stronger than him. That's never ending well. Saying that, I would change approach on Sunday: Hamilton to the bench, Callum Smith in and I'd contemplate changing Connolly for Vaughan or Easton as well. Smith for his pace and the other to have more of a run at the full backs, who look like they can be gotten at. The punts got nowhere and we can't be repeating them in the second leg, or we will go out with a whimper; the game needs to be taken to County. 

There are some shades of our SF: better team was 2-0 up but it ends 2-1. We are back in it which I'll take given where we were, but there is a definite gap in quality between the sides. 

7 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

After the great effort of the majority of fans then this.

Awe FFS, that kind of supporters we do not need or want....... hingers on or true supporters 

44 minutes ago, Michael W said:

There are some shades of our SF: better team was 2-0 up but it ends 2-1. We are back in it which I'll take given where we were, but there is a definite gap in quality between the sides. 

Just my opinion but I think the only real quality that they have is Dhanda everything they done well came through him other than that we kept White and Murray quiet there was nothing for them apart from dhanda need someone on Sunday to just sit or double up on him to keep him quiet

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

Let’s just go all out Murrayball from the start on Sunday. A back three of Matthews, Dick and Simon Pollock the kit man and chuck every other attacking player on and go for it.

Murray might just do that 😂😂 , get the ball down Sunday and pass,pass, pass and you never know.last 20 mins gives us some hope and we are still in this and that was my hope before tonight , turner is a miss but get wee Lewis up top Sunday and let him do his thing. COYR 💪🏻🔵⚪

1 hour ago, Been going too long said:

Murray might just do that 😂😂 , get the ball down Sunday and pass,pass, pass and you never know.last 20 mins gives us some hope and we are still in this and that was my hope before tonight , turner is a miss but get wee Lewis up top Sunday and let him do his thing. COYR 💪🏻🔵⚪

Aye Lewis was wasted tonight stuck out on the wing. Played into County's hands lumping it long all night. Set up how we did for first leg at Partick with Easton in for Turner and we might still have a chance.

Second half against Thistle you guys lumped it to Vaughan and it kept coming back so I can understand Murray's reasoning for going with Hamilton up front. That being said, it didn't work and he had a very poor game yesterday. 

If last night is an example of the bottom teams in the premier then we all have a long way to go. Rovers reduced to punt it fitbaw made it look like a really hard shift for them. Great play and through ball for the rovers goal though, but I fear for you guys in Dingwall. 

7 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

After the great effort of the majority of fans then this.

FFS, why?
Rovers have been brilliant on the park this season, but like us the idiot element of our support has let us all down badly. 
it’s unlikely but I hope the fukwits are caught and prosecuted 

There were times where the gulf between the sides was bordering on embarrassing. We were so one paced and predictable for 80 minutes. 

I guess we've got a punchers chance in the 2nd leg but they will all need to up their levels considerably from these last 2 matches. 

Good to see such a big Rovers support in though. Who ever thought we'd see a crowd of 6,000 for a midweek match with Ross County!?

Matthews has been tested at right back during these playoffs against Fitzpatrick and Dhanda last night.He’s had a couple of dodgy moments.But what a return with 2 assists and a goal.

Ross County were a yard or 2 quicker than us all night but somehow we’ve managed to stay in the tie.Mind you their home form is very good and they’ve had some cracking wins at home.

Think we all seen how we need to play the game up there though. For me Easton is a must from the start,we are a different team going forward when he is on giving us confidence to get on the ball.

On the bus window getting smashed we have scummy supporters like every team.Most of them would run a mile if confronted face to face on the street.

8 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Just my opinion but I think the only real quality that they have is Dhanda everything they done well came through him other than that we kept White and Murray quiet there was nothing for them apart from dhanda need someone on Sunday to just sit or double up on him to keep him quiet

Granted that Dhanda was the standout, I have to disagree with the rest. Physically they are stronger than us, they are quicker than us and in ability terms you can see they are also better. Things like control of the ball, reactions/anticipation to things we tried to do and their passing of the ball; for me, it was evident which team plays in the higher league. 

That is not to say they can't be beaten, not at all. If we can play the way we did in the last 15 then we have a chance here. I think their defence is there to be gotten at, but there's a certain way that we have to play them - keep it down and have players running at it. If we go long they will nullify us with ease. We also have to be very careful about viewing Dhanda in isolation. Perhaps we did keep Murray and White quiet, but if we give them  too much space we will probably be punished. 

1 hour ago, Wacky said:

If last night is an example of the bottom teams in the premier then we all have a long way to go. Rovers reduced to punt it fitbaw made it look like a really hard shift for them. Great play and through ball for the rovers goal though, but I fear for you guys in Dingwall. 

Many of us would have preferred St Johnstone for these games, and last night we saw why. County were managed by that bam Adams for a dozen games or and his efforts in that time saw their confidence and performances ravaged. Cowie has restored much of that and they're clearly a better side than their position suggests.

Plus, they're all b*****d giants.

28 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Granted that Dhanda was the standout, I have to disagree with the rest. Physically they are stronger than us, they are quicker than us and in ability terms you can see they are also better. Things like control of the ball, reactions/anticipation to things we tried to do and their passing of the ball; for me, it was evident which team plays in the higher league. 

That is not to say they can't be beaten, not at all. If we can play the way we did in the last 15 then we have a chance here. I think their defence is there to be gotten at, but there's a certain way that we have to play them - keep it down and have players running at it. If we go long they will nullify us with ease. We also have to be very careful about viewing Dhanda in isolation. Perhaps we did keep Murray and White quiet, but if we give them  too much space we will probably be punished. 

Agree with all this. I reckon we have maybe a one in ten chance of winning up there, but maybe Sunday will be that one.

Some very good points made, reading some the thoughts from after the game.

My take on it is, you can see at times that they were a level above. Passing a lot sharper, slicker, drawings players out of shape before releasing the ball - and at times we were chasing shadows.

Now I don’t know if I’m just trying to remain optimistic, but like some have said, for all their dominance on the ball - they never really cut us open and barring the save around the post from Kev, there other half chances more or less came from second balls from set pieces or blocks that fell there way, and I guess that’s testament to our defence for remaining switched on.

We opted for Big Jack, tbh I thought he was isolated and the midfield nowhere near him, however when we go with the big man, it means someone else has to move around and in a nutshell Vaughan was ineffective, and it wasn’t until Stanton was moved centrally after the changes he really got involved - that for me tells me the importance of having Sam behind the striker.

Have to try and go play a bit more football on Sunday if we want to have a chance, and if Dylan is fit he has to start for me, get Vaughan through the middle, Stanton behind and either a Connolly or Mullin out on the right.

Lets get up there and back these boys on Sunday if your heading north, they bloody deserve it for giving us this exciting rollercoaster of a season that I’m sure many of us would have bitten your hand off if offered at the start of the season.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Agree with all this. I reckon we have maybe a one in ten chance of winning up there, but maybe Sunday will be that one.

I might be being too optimistic for reasons unknown, but I reckon 1 in 3. 

I'm going and it's a very long trip for me, so maybe I have to be. :lol:

Edited by Michael W

7 minutes ago, North West said:

Good luck to the 76 or so real supporters travelling to Dingwall. Hopefully your hoolies don't smash any of their own bus windows.

If you mean their own supporter bus, they're not going to smash a window they spent the whole journey licking, are they? 

I feared the worst after the first 15mins or so. 
Really didn’t appreciate the gulf between the top of the championship and bottom of the Premier…. but there is the argument that Ross County aren’t really a ‘bottom of the Premier’ team and are in a false position due to two fuckwit managers….

I guess we should have realised the gap in quality though when Turner is deemed surplus to requirements for them and comes to us and looks excellent. 

I thought we looked really panicky, most of the time when we got a hold of the ball in our half it was cleared like we were holding a lead in the 85th minute rather than starting to try and build something.
Not sure if long to Hamilton was a deliberate ploy or if we just can’t help ourselves when he’s on the pitch but as everyone else has said, we cannot do that on Sunday or we’ll get the same result as we got last night.   

Will head up on Sunday not expecting anything. 
If we’re to have any hope then we need to play a formation that encourages us to pass the ball (Vaughan up top, Stanton behind and two of Mullin/Easton/Smith wide). 
Connolly miles off it the past few games unfortunately. 

I’m not fussed if we get beat, all I’m asking for is a good performance and a goal to cheer. 
I’m really just going so I can show appreciation for the unbelievable season we’ve had and sing “The Rovers we love you” as loud as I can for 90minutes. 

If it’s not to be this season then we learn our lessons, strengthen where needed and launch a proper assault on the title in what will be a fantastic league next year.