The New Raith Rovers Thread

It's probably a bit unfair to judge any individual Caley player as their season and club in general was a raging bin fire. 

For me getting a RB is a massive priority, yes Matthews did a job there but it's the Scott Brown  situation all over again. 

Players are back next week which should have given them a decent period of rest. It will be good to see the new signings in pre season to see where they're at especially the younger ones. 

I’m possibly in the minority on this one but I don’t think we are in as much of a need for a goal scorer than others seem to. For me, Hamilton, Vaughan and Smith are pretty decent. We probably need another one as a backup though.

1 minute ago, Jilted John said:

I’m possibly in the minority on this one but I don’t think we are in as much of a need for a goal scorer than others seem to. For me, Hamilton, Vaughan and Smith are pretty decent. We probably need another one as a backup though.

We shouldn’t be signing any players as ‘back up’ all players we sign should be expecting to be playing from the start, then let them earn their places. 

10 minutes ago, spot on said:

We shouldn’t be signing any players as ‘back up’ all players we sign should be expecting to be playing from the start, then let them earn their places. 

Look at Ayr they aren't signing any backup players. 

19 minutes ago, spot on said:

That’s all well and good saying that in theory but there’s no way that McNeil, Hannah and Montagu have been signed with the intention of playing every week.

13 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

That’s all well and good saying that in theory but there’s no way that McNeil, Hannah and Montagu have been signed with the intention of playing every week.

They are young players signed as teenagers with potential to be playing every week. They are not signed as ‘back up ‘ players, and that’s totally different.

Edited by spot on

29 minutes ago, spot on said:

They are young players signed as teenagers with potential to be playing every week. They are not signed as ‘back up ‘ players, and that’s totally different.

That’s the kind of striker, if any, I see us bringing in. Not one that will be expecting to play every week. And start ahead of one of the others mentioned. For me, assuming Hanlon signs, the only position in the squad that requires a nailed on starter is at right back.

2 hours ago, Kooz92 said:

Aye, that Caley Thistle team was blessed with creative attacking players who could create opportunites. Dump him in our team and he will score goals.

He’s scored seven goals since 2021, three of which came in a nine minute spell against us. He might have a decent season for someone next term, but there’s no evidence to suggest it. 

Edited by McGuigan1978

On the midfield discussion, who replaces Stanton if he misses a few weeks again? Like last season, we don’t have a natural replacement, honestly for even a portion of his talents. We have attacking minds, we have defending mids, but a connector like Stanton, with vision and skills, we just don’t have someone who easily slots into the role. Last year, before Turner arrived, we questioned if Matthew’s could perhaps fill Sam’s spot, pro tem. He just isn’t that type of player, he’s grittier and more defensively focused. Byrne didn’t work as the solution either. Brown, see above. So that leaves the more attacking minded wingers/mids, and not one them fill the role either.

Stanton is a single point of failure right now, and perhaps even our only single point (RB can be argued) right now. Maybe that’s why there’s a Telfer rumour.

29 minutes ago, TxRover said:

On the midfield discussion, who replaces Stanton if he misses a few weeks again? Like last season, we don’t have a natural replacement, honestly for even a portion of his talents. We have attacking minds, we have defending mids, but a connector like Stanton, with vision and skills, we just don’t have someone who easily slots into the role. Last year, before Turner arrived, we questioned if Matthew’s could perhaps fill Sam’s spot, pro tem. He just isn’t that type of player, he’s grittier and more defensively focused. Byrne didn’t work as the solution either. Brown, see above. So that leaves the more attacking minded wingers/mids, and not one them fill the role either.

Stanton is a single point of failure right now, and perhaps even our only single point (RB can be argued) right now. Maybe that’s why there’s a Telfer rumour.

No one replaces Stanton. We change the system to suit the players we do have available. Vaughan and Easton. Both capable of playing the supporting role but obviously won't offer as much defensively so we maybe look to play brown and Matthews in those games behind them. I wouldn't be too fussed for telfer signing, I think our budget could be spent better elsewhere. 

12 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

No one can seriously suggesting Alex Samuels, surely. He's a worse Graeme Weir. 

How many players have we signed that haven't really set the heather on fire elsewhere.

Samuel scored a hattrick at San Starko and gave us a lot of problems when he came on up in Inverness. Yes he didn't score a lot for Inverness but looks strong and seems to have that rare ability (like Todorov) to find loads of space. He won't oust Vaughan, Hamilton etc but he's the type of player that will run a tired defence ragged later on in a game.

Edited by MICMAC

16 minutes ago, grumswall said:

No one replaces Stanton. We change the system to suit the players we do have available. Vaughan and Easton. Both capable of playing the supporting role but obviously won't offer as much defensively so we maybe look to play brown and Matthews in those games behind them. I wouldn't be too fussed for telfer signing, I think our budget could be spent better elsewhere. 

And, when we did that, our season stalled. The question then is was it a failure on IM’s part to adjust properly or the players to play the new scheme properly? Either way, it needs addressed.

17 minutes ago, TxRover said:

And, when we did that, our season stalled. The question then is was it a failure on IM’s part to adjust properly or the players to play the new scheme properly? Either way, it needs addressed.

Agree but I do think we basically tried to play the same way but less Stanton. That's why the systen will need to be changed to suit what's available. I'd be surprised if a few different systems aren't worked on in pre season due to this. Even our 3atb came out of nowhere and worked at the time so will probably have a bit more time out in to it pre season. 

56 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

How old will Collin Samuel be now? I'd rather sign him. 

56 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

How old will Collin Samuel be now? I'd rather sign him. 

Rather than who? He’s no where near good enough full stop.