Who's Going To Uni?

Guest honestrae95

While completing my 'financial registration' on the MyGlasgow thingy, I noticed that it never asked for my SAAS application number. I'm a wee bit worried as my pal said he needed his.

Does anybody know if you do usually have to put in your SAAS number?

Probably a bit different for Law where even those withe the 'worst' grades were very, very good in the grand scheme of things. Or do you mean those in politics?

Law. I never really paid attention to people doing Politics degrees. It comprised a token side-game for me throughout University, albeit one that I was rather good at.

While completing my 'financial registration' on the MyGlasgow thingy, I noticed that it never asked for my SAAS application number. I'm a wee bit worried as my pal said he needed his.Does anybody know if you do usually have to put in your SAAS number?

You're meant to. You should have your award notice from them by now, no?

Apart from Medicine, Law etc, Glasgow and Edinburgh don't want anywhere near 5 A's for run of the mill course like Buisness, Geography, History and the like.

Not being able to get Highers in 5th year suggests a lack of intelligence, commitment, maturity or a combination of the 3. In my (anecdotal) experience, those who do not get the grades they require in 5tn year (or have a conditional where they only need 1 more in 6th year) rarely do well at uni.

I have to say, I'm not sure I agree with all of that. I got average to mediocre grades in fifth year (mostly highers, but mostly Cs), mostly due to a lack of maturity and commitment as you say. I got much better grades in sixth year, but my grades at uni were hugely better than any I got at school. In my view, people mature at different times and are best suited to being taught in different ways.

Some people bloom when they get to uni, others do badly at school, but then go on to make a much better fist of things a few years down the line in college, and then go on to do well at uni. So while I agree with the first part, I don't really agree with the second part. Plus those that get top grades in school rarely seem to (in my anecdotal experience this time) do nearly as well at uni.

While completing my 'financial registration' on the MyGlasgow thingy, I noticed that it never asked for my SAAS application number. I'm a wee bit worried as my pal said he needed his.

I have not needed to put mine down but the SAAS money has already been deducted so I don't know if that's why.

Now if they can just sort out their broken scholarship details section, I can finish adding all my fee payment sources and get finished with this enrolment saga.

For meathead, on my phone so can't multiquote but first year Psych is really interesting, but was certainly my largest workload of all my subjects so taking it as a third subject would be difficult IMO.

Its my degree so i'm biased but I thought it was brilliant. Its a fairly heavy workload but its taught in a very logical way and its a good introduction to the field but as a third subject it might be alot of work, theres lectures every day, a tutorial once a week and 2 hour lab sessions every fortnight.

Cheers for the feedback guys. I'm at a bit of a loose end with what to take, I don't really fancy doing another science subject but none of the arts subjects are particularly appealing either. Psychology looked like the best of a bad bunch really but I'll have another think about it.

I never had to enter mine either, and I got my award notice from them quite a while ago.

Guest honestrae95

You're meant to. You should have your award notice from them by now, no?

Yeah, I've got my award notice. Just surprised I didn't need to put in my number anywhere.

Guest honestrae95

I never had to enter mine either, and I got my award notice from them quite a while ago.

Yeah, I got mine a while back as well. Ach well, maybe it's just for certain folk.

I have to say, I'm not sure I agree with all of that. I got average to mediocre grades in fifth year (mostly highers, but mostly Cs), mostly due to a lack of maturity and commitment as you say. I got much better grades in sixth year, but my grades at uni were hugely better than any I got at school. In my view, people mature at different times and are best suited to being taught in different ways.

Some people bloom when they get to uni, others do badly at school, but then go on to make a much better fist of things a few years down the line in college, and then go on to do well at uni. So while I agree with the first part, I don't really agree with the second part. Plus those that get top grades in school rarely seem to (in my anecdotal experience this time) do nearly as well at uni.

I think it also depends how you got your grades, if you got 5 good Highers in fifth but they were achieved by attendin g an excellent school/having private tutors/having helpful and brainy parents then they might find Uni harder when they are left to stand on their own two feet. Whereas if you've gone to a bog standard school and perhaps from a less affluent background you're more likely to have the tools for coping with Uni.

I didn't do that great in fifth year and had to work my arse off in sixth year to get in to Uni, but I then found Uni a bit of a stroll. I think mainly because I was studying a subject I was good at and enjoyed.

I think it also depends how you got your grades, if you got 5 good Highers in fifth but they were achieved by attendin g an excellent school/having private tutors/having helpful and brainy parents then they might find Uni harder when they are left to stand on their own two feet. Whereas if you've gone to a bog standard school and perhaps from a less affluent background you're more likely to have the tools for coping with Uni.

I didn't do that great in fifth year and had to work my arse off in sixth year to get in to Uni, but I then found Uni a bit of a stroll. I think mainly because I was studying a subject I was good at and enjoyed.

East Renfrewshire has the best schools in the country by authority but has the highest percentage of uni drop outs.

I think the 'bad school' thing is a bit of a myth. If you go to a 'bad' school and are clever enough to make it into a Higher class, the classes are often relatively small and there is a much lower pupil:teacher ratio than in other schools.

East Renfrewshire has the best schools in the country by authority but has the highest percentage of uni drop outs.

Coming from an east ren school, that is purely down to how spoon fed we are. You are taught how to pass exams and very little beyond that so five As, while still impressive, is achievable to anyone who works hard enough at it

I'm aware that this is a fundamental problem with education but taken to the extreme at my school anyway

Most top jobs only want a 2:1 so 8)

Most first class students are textbook students who will be eaten alive in the real world 8)

Am I bitter about not getting a first? 8) yes.

I know the feeling. I missed out on a First by a single mark and as far as I'm concerned, the difference in effort between that and just scraping a 2:1 is rather significant.

All the guys in my year who got a first have just ended up staying in academia though, not daring venturing into the scary world of industry.

I believe the word you're looking for is "better".

ETA: PLEASING (etc.)

I did shite at school (should have got straight A's). Managed to squeeze into uni. Got a 2:1 (poor me). I am now a fully qualified accountant and hopefully about to get a job in the oil industry where I will get a 20k pay rise.

Nae bad for someone with 2:1.

Im also not a virgin :-p

I did shite at school (should have got straight A's). Managed to squeeze into uni. Got a 2:1 (poor me). I am now a fully qualified accountant and hopefully about to get a job in the oil industry where I will get a 20k pay rise.

Doing what for who?

Good for you. Perhaps with that substantial pay increase you could retire a few years earlier, go back to uni, earn a credible qualification (a stand-alone Masters, for example) and finally unload that inferiority complex seeping through the above post.

You have to feel sorry for those who'll never have the opportunity to make good their critical failings tbh. In a patronising way at least.

Good for you. Perhaps with that substantial pay increase you could retire a few years earlier, go back to uni, earn a credible qualification (a stand-alone Masters, for example) and finally unload that inferiority complex seeping through the above post.

You have to feel sorry for those who'll never have the opportunity to make good their critical failings tbh. In a patronising way at least.

Haha think i'll pass mate.