Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I've been twiddling hair off my face all weekend, it's a wonder I've any facial hair left. But it feels good. They're all ginger though, some with blonde streaks, some black and a couple of graying one's.

But it feels GOOD.

They're all ginger or gray you mug

My older brother announced over the weekend on Facebook that he is bisexual and 'very proud' of it.

It made me wonder, why? Why be proud of it? Or ashamed of it? It just is. For me it's nothing to be ashamed or proud of. I don't really understand the attachment of an adjective towards your sexuality, and indeed many other things (like your nationality for example; why are you proud over where you were born?. For me personal achievements and failures are things to be proud or ashamed of, not things you have no control/say over. 

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

My older brother announced over the weekend on Facebook that he is bisexual and 'very proud' of it.

It made me wonder, why? Why be proud of it? Or ashamed of it? It just is. For me it's nothing to be ashamed or proud of. I don't really understand the attachment of an adjective towards your sexuality, and indeed many other things (like your nationality for example; why are you proud over where you were born?. For me personal achievements and failures are things to be proud or ashamed of, not things you have no control/say over. 

I think the whole 'Pride' movement comes from the fact that, even after legalisation of homosexuality, being gay was seen as being shameful and disgusting.  If you read the Hansard text of the debates around legalising homosexuality, quite a lot of the support for the idea was based on the fact that people who were gay were afflicted with this terrible condition so it was unfair to burden them further by prosecuting them.

This attitude changed during the 1980s and 1990s thanks to increasing visibility of gay people and the gradual stripping away of the shame and stigma around being gay.  A good example of this is the change in gay bars - gay bars in the 1980s and through the 90s often didn't have windows because they assumed that their clientele wouldn't want to be seen in such a place.  Compare that to what gay bars look like now, often with normal, open windows and doors like other pubs and clubs.

Members of minorities that are stigmatised and ostracised often find expressing pride in their minority status, a positive rejection of previous repression and shame.  One day maybe you'll be able to be open about being a sex-pram-shagging deviant c**t.  But not today.

Out of interest, did the family know already or were you informed over Fb too?

1 minute ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Out of interest, did the family know already or were you informed over Fb too?

I knew, and my younger brother did too I think. I don't think my parents had a clue though, but they did know my younger brother is gay before he told them

Edited by DA Baracus

There's probably a lengthy sociology based answer to that, but FWIW I agree.

Always enjoy the seethe from some of the more precious members of the Tartan Army when it's suggested that being a proud Scot is akin to being proud of having size 10 feet.

I came out as bi last year, well I thought I was out already but my mates were surprised to hear that I had been dating a few guys. I used to only date and have relationships with women and just have one night stands with men every now and again when I was single.

Thinking back though I definitely should have made it clearer to my friends and family and I actually feel bad that they didn't know until I was 29. I admit that I did worry about my sexuality (as daft as that sounds) throughout high school but by the time I slept with a few girls and guys, I was comfortable with my sexuality. I didn't think I needed to come out because I thought it was largely irrelevant to who I was as a person. Maybe ultimately I was scared to admit it to everyone, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, my point was going to be about being in agreement with DA's post. One of the things that annoyed me about coming out apart from the extra attention when it was initially announced, was everyone saying how proud they were of me. I didn't feel proud or ashamed, just felt the same really.

I knew, and my younger brother did too I think. I don't think my parents had a clue though, but they did know my younger brother is gay before he told them

Cheers, personally I couldn't give a shit what sexuality anyone is and if either of my sons "came out" (why is that even a thing nowadays?) on Facebook I wouldn't care, their life, their decision how to tell people, if they felt the need....but for the older generation it might be tough, my mum wouldn't be happy if I advertised on Fb I had booked a holiday, unless she knew in advance....
That said, I might be the same age as your parents & rightly they don't care.