Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

It’s just lead me to learn that Sydney Youngblood and Soul II Soul has a bit of a “feud”.

I met Jazzy B in Blackheath once. Have never met Sydney, though, so I'll assume that he got killed off in the 90s by yardies with sympathies to the S2S crew.

There were a couple of car garages around Bow or maybe Bethnal Green that catered to the particular tastes of the Yardies. First there was Rude Beemers and up the street was Rude Mercs. Much better names than the boring stuff we get like “Dickson’s of Perth”.

35 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Gonna open up here's bit and it's not really something I talk about but I feel it's pertinent. Reading about your mother and her relationship with alcohol really mirrored my own dad's. He had a really good job with the council, went from working class to middle class and had a lovely home and although he split with my mum we still had a very good relationship. He was also a drinker, easier for a man especially in the 80s/90s as that was the norm, few pints at lunchtime, or after work was the norm. This carried on and slowly got worse, a few pints after work turned into a few pints then off home for a bottle of wine or two.

When he was around 57 he was pensioned off, with a fair amount of cash which he could easily have survived off but it was the feeling of having no purpose that got to him. He volunteered helping young unemployed  folk get ready for jobs but that only lasted so long so he'd spend all his time in the pub, most days from 11am. He wasn't some kind of pished stained jakie and still had a big house and wife at home but it got worse and worse. To an extent I ignored it and never really thought it was as bad as it was so we'd still regularly meet at the weekend for a few beers to watch the football. Looking back I should've stepped in and said enough was enough but you never think the worst thing will happen and to an extent I probably was an enabler because I was blinkered to how bad his alcoholism was as I only saw him at the weekends when he was the life and soul of the pub that everyone knew and liked.

Anyway, eventually we managed to persuade him to go to hospital for treatment but it was too late and sadly he passed away at 59. To this day I regret not doing more. All I can say is do everything you can to make you're mother realise what she's doing to herself before it's too late. I'm not sayin you already are and alcoholics are impossible to deal with but there's always still time. 

Sorry to hear about your dad. That's so rough. In a way it might have been easier if he was a pishy jakey.

Thank you for this post. Not just for sharing but also the advice. 

9 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I met Jazzy B in Blackheath once. Have never met Sydney, though, so I'll assume that he got killed off in the 90s by yardies with sympathies to the S2S crew.

Jazzy was sum boi

9 hours ago, Perkin Flump said:

Really? "If only I could" was quite the tune.

Probably just media shite Saying he was ripping off Jazzy but Sydney took the cream puff anyway. 

12 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

. I'm not sayin you already are and alcoholics are impossible to deal with but there's always still time. 

Alcoholics are impossible to deal with. Until and unless they admit they have a problem and look for help themselves you're banging your head off a brick wall. Sad but true.

Some people don't drink, some  people can drink and some people can't drink. Until you start drinking yourself you don't know which of the latter two categories you fall into.

Fucking bawbag out with a chainsaw doing hedges at 8am...

I'm not sure what the official time for 'making noise' is in the morning. But when the schools are off I think it's dickhead behaviour to do it before 9am. I was awoken by the fat noisy cow the street behind today just after 8 as well. She was talking to her partner whilst getting into the car. Clearly incapable of speaking at a reasonable level. Stupid bitch.

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, Slenderman said:

I'm not sure what the official time for 'making noise' is in the morning. But when the schools are off I think it's dickhead behaviour to do it before 9am. I was awoken by the fat noisy cow the street behind today just after 8 as well. She was talking to her partner whilst getting into the car. Clearly incapable of speaking at a reasonable level. Stupid bitch.

I used to set fireworks off AF when I was younger a wee fanny. Think this is karma in action.

Keep getting 50% off vouchers from UberEats that I never use so as I'm a bit hungover I thought I'd just give Subway an order. Footlong steak and cheese on hearty Italian, toasted, with southwest sauce. An array of crisps, juice and cookie with a side of meatballs. For £9. Delivered. 

Saturday has started well. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Keep getting 50% off vouchers from UberEats that I never use so as I'm a bit hungover I thought I'd just give Subway an order. Footlong steak and cheese on hearty Italian, toasted, with southwest sauce. An array of crisps, juice and cookie with a side of meatballs. For £9. Delivered. 

Wonder if they call it 'southwest sauce' because people say "chipolte".

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Alcoholics are impossible to deal with. Until and unless they admit they have a problem and look for help themselves you're banging your head off a brick wall. Sad but true.

Had this with my own ma for years. We tried everything and nothing got through (even a couple of rehab attempts) until eventually she woke up one day and basically said "enough is enough" and now it's been 14 years.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
4 hours ago, Slenderman said:

I'm not sure what the official time for 'making noise' is in the morning.

9 am weekdays and at least 10:30 am at weekends. Anything earlier is the behaviour of a James Hunt. 

We have opposite problem in our street. A neighbour who starts their DIY projects at 9pm... 

Had this with my own ma for years. We tried everything and nothing got through (even a couple of rehab attempts) until eventually she woke up one day and basically said "enough is enough" and now it's been 14 years.
My mum was similar although she could go for several months or the odd year without a drink. Things went quickly down hill after I moved out and started my own family. Got to the stage that I didn't know what state she would be in when popping in with the kids.

Begged her to get help which she never did. Think it was the constant lies that really got to me. Finally gave her an ultimatum, she could either stop drinking or I would never let her see her grand children again. She stopped that same day, got herself to the gp and arranged counselling, she's never looked back since.

I always remember to tell her how proud I am of her every now and then

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

If you can face that you're not hungover.

Edited by Jacksgranda