Procycling thread

myshkin

Kelly's brilliant, can mind him being asked what would be needed to catch a break on a MTF? His answer "A Kawasaki GPZ 750". On a crash during a descent, asked if it was down to oil or grease on the road, he replied "No,no,no dat'll be de cow shoit!". Years of contradicting Duffer's has seen him ease himself into the maestro's shoes.

ITV Getting rid of Liggett and Sherwin is lunacy! They are the voices of Cycling! Have to get my Kelly ears on now, takes me a week to understand him

Liggett and Sherwan are utterly hopeless. Liggett in particular is a complete w****r. Has his own special place in the Armstrong years. Glad to see the back of these jokers.

Not at all - half the enjoyment for me anyway was listening to Ligget and Sherwen prattling on while talking about some obscure château or church with the countryside rolling by. Much like the TEST Match Special team it somehow soothed me as I whiled away the hours when I should have been doing something much more productive. Boulting is a good reporter and has got a lot more knowledge now (his two books on the TdF are excellent) and Millar gives good insight but it's just not as enjoyable IMO. Understand why ITV prefer to have their own team in place rather than having the International Feed though.

Phil Liggett had become boring and predictable over the last few years. He was an apologist for Armstrong when he was outed as a doper by Landis and other members of his team. I miss Hugh Porter much more than Liggett.

David Millar has useful insights into racing and tactics but it's ridiculous that a convicted doper is now a main ITV commentator. The BBC rightly dropped Linford Christie after he tested positive for steroids late in his career. 

Liggett and Sherwan are utterly hopeless. Liggett in particular is a complete w****r. Has his own special place in the Armstrong years. Glad to see the back of these jokers.

But he is the sound of the Tour. As much I as like Ned and David Millar (Who's one of two scots to win a stage of the TDF), Liggett's commentary is sensational especially on the mountain stages. I suppose they've been rubbering them in, as they've been commentating on the Dauphine and the Vuelta for a couple of years, when Liggett and Sherwan have been commentating for SBS.

Phil Liggett had become boring and predictable over the last few years. He was an apologist for Armstrong when he was outed as a doper by Landis and other members of his team. I miss Hugh Porter much more than Liggett.

David Millar has useful insights into racing and tactics but it's ridiculous that a convicted doper is now a main ITV commentator. The BBC rightly dropped Linford Christie after he tested positive for steroids late in his career. 

Sorry, but Millar has been extremely anti-doping since 2006, he was a founding member of the slipstream project - one of the first staunch anti-doping teams in professional cycling.

Sorry, but Millar has been extremely anti-doping since 2006, he was a founding member of the slipstream project - one of the first staunch anti-doping teams in professional cycling.

Aye right.  :rolleyes:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/09/news/vaughters-outs-garmin-riders-for-past-doping-in-online-forum_237650

"Garmin-Sharp team manager Jonathan Vaughters, who admitted for the first time in public to doping during his pro racing career last month, listed active Garmin riders Christian Vande Velde, David Zabriskie and Tom Danielson as having doped during their careers in an online forum, Cyclingnews.com reported Wednesday." 

"All three riders raced as teammates to Lance Armstrong during earlier parts of their careers: Vande Velde at U.S. Postal Service from 1998 to 2003; Zabriskie at USPS from 2001 to 2004; and Danielson at Discovery Channel in 2005.

Danielson was busted again last year - http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/08/news/the-test-that-caught-tom-danielson_381086  

Aye, all it took for him to become anti doping was for him to be busted for doping. Pity he didn't have his Doping Is Bad epiphany before Interpol kicked his door in, but never mind.

Anyway, tomorrow has a 500m ramp á 5% to the finish. The sprinters will struggle but apparently it is similar as Stage 1 in 2014, where Kittel won.

Stage-1464952391.jpg

Anyway, Cav can go second outright in TDF stage wins with 29 stage wins. Tempted to put a bet on at 7-1.

Anyway, tomorrow has a 500m ramp á 5% to the finish. The sprinters will struggle but apparently it is similar as Stage 1 in 2014, where Kittel won.

Stage-1464952391.jpg

Anyway, Cav can go second outright in TDF stage wins with 29 stage wins. Tempted to put a bet on at 7-1.

A 500m 5% ramp would suit Sagan. 

Yesterday got me thinking, with van Avermaet in Yellow, it's similar to Voeckler in 2011. Can he hold onto Yellow through the Pyrenees? Probabaly Not.

Today's another one for the sprinters, it'll be interesting to see how they are after yesterday. Cav and Kittel can go into green if they win the stage.

Stage-1464948867.jpg

Edited by Marr1
I Meant to say Probably not, probably.

Another win for Cav puts him clear in second on the all time list of stage winners. Only question now is when he will quit this year, there's another couple he could have a chance in next week so I wonder if he will at least go over the Pyrenees before throwing in the towel.

2 hours ago, honestly united said:

Cant believe the form Cav is in this year, after spending some time with the GB track team. I thought he was pretty much done the last couple of years as one of hte top sprinters but has been amazing this year

I think it's helped him, the track training they do at British Cycling is working on legspeed for someone like Cav, and you can see from his sprints that his rpm has improved from the last couple of years, and his track lunges have won him two stages.

Top work from GVA to get in the break, might extend his time in yellow by another day. Shadow boxing by the GC guys, Pinot huge loser though.

Navarro and Impey will be sick they didn't help Nibali pull Cummings back, particularly Navarro who looked pretty strong. Strange tactics to throw a stage away so easily like that.

Seems that Yates is getting the 7 seconds he was ahead at the 3km mark so is in 2nd overall and also now leads the White Jersey standings for young rider. British cyclists really having a superb first week. 

Today has the potential to be an interesting stage or a bit of a bore. Can't see any of the GC riders making an attack unless Nibbles or Contador still thinks he has an outside chance and they go crazy on the descents. I'd imagine Movistar will have a wee look if they have a couple of domestiques left for the final climb but the Sky team look pretty strong and calm so far. Any chance of a breakaway today?