Procycling thread

myshkin

Reports that Nibali ran into the back of one of the official motorbikes which had stopped because of the smoke from the flares.
Weird - Thomas seemed to suggest he was (at least partly) to blame in the post stage interview. It did seem a bit chaotic though. I know they go on about the spectacle and everything but there's no need for those flares.

Weird - Thomas seemed to suggest he was (at least partly) to blame in the post stage interview. It did seem a bit chaotic though. I know they go on about the spectacle and everything but there's no need for those flares.
The flares are mental. I would imagine the last thing you need at that point is to cycle through a cloud of smoke.

11 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
14 hours ago, peasy23 said:
Reports that Nibali ran into the back of one of the official motorbikes which had stopped because of the smoke from the flares.

Did GT not say he ran over his wheel after he hit the deck? 

On 18/07/2018 at 22:57, jaggyness said:
On 18/07/2018 at 22:53, Gnash said:
I would have thought Froome would want to go for all 3 grand tours in the same year.

I think any cyclist would want to go for all the GTs in a single year but there's a very good reason why nobody has been able to win all 3. The timing and maintaining your form for that length of time is verging on the impossible with the other contenders. Nibali for example looks undercooked just now but may ride himself into peak form for the vuelta.

Of course, but what else is there for Froome to achieve?  And 'verging on the impossible' should not be a problem for him, given what he's already done.  

If he wins the Tour I'd be amazed if he doesn't go all out for the Vuelta.

Ah, maybe. I thought he said he'd touched his back wheel (as in, that's what caused him to go down). Either way, the Shark has had to abandon with a back injury because of it. A shame, as he was one of the few who looked like he could challenge. Looks like it's Dumoulin and Landa left of those who can stop a Sky 1-2.

Have actually just watched a video (How the stage was won on the Eurosport website) and it appears Nibali was taken out by a camera strap catching between his wheels on one of the poorly policed pinch points on the course. [emoji852]

Froome attacked right after nibali hit the deck.

The flares are mental. I would imagine the last thing you need at that point is to cycle through a cloud of smoke.
Did GT not say he ran over his wheel after he hit the deck? 

Yep, that was how I picked it up too.
Ah, maybe. I thought he said he'd touched his back wheel (as in, that's what caused him to go down). Either way, the Shark has had to abandon with a back injury because of it. A shame, as he was one of the few who looked like he could challenge. Looks like it's Dumoulin and Landa left of those who can stop a Sky 1-2.

Have actually just watched a video (How the stage was won on the Eurosport website) and it appears Nibali was taken out by a camera strap catching between his wheels on one of the poorly policed pinch points on the course. [emoji852]

Like Nibali did to him a couple of years ago 

Nibbles was reacting to a Froome attack. Think it was the Kenyan who was impeded by the motorbike/start of barriers/smoke from flares?IMG_20180721_004319.thumb.jpg.58794ee0bb5838cc90f297f4392a989a.jpg

Nibbles was reacting to a Froome attack. Think it was the Kenyan who was impeded by the motorbike/start of barriers/smoke from flares?IMG_20180721_004319.thumb.jpg.58794ee0bb5838cc90f297f4392a989a.jpg 
That's the strap that the video seemed to show either tangling in his wheels or catching his handlebars. It was a shaky phone camera so it wasn't clear but that photo seems to show it about to happen. Only a few metres from the barriers too.

Was akin to the time the musette caught in Armstrong's bars. Disappointing that, with hindsight, he wasn't injured.
That Nibali completed the stage was astonishing, given the pictures of him in distress on the floor.

I have a sneaking feeling froome might attack on the descent of the pic de nore today. Bardet is a brilliant descender and has to attack if he wants to do anything and demoulin is the weakest descender of the top 5. G doesn't have to attack so can just follow in the wheels

Gianni Moscon disqualified from the Tour for hitting another rider with about 800m of yesterday's stage to go. Didn't see it on the coverage at all.
Fairly minor, but he has previous. There's a long story of behavioural problems involving Reza & Reichenbach. He's sitting on a final warning with Sky & some think he may get the bullet.

Fairly minor, but he has previous. There's a long story of behavioural problems involving Reza & Reichenbach. He's sitting on a final warning with Sky & some think he may get the bullet.
I remember him being DQ'ed somewhere last year. I don't know know much it would affect Sky's train going into the mountains mind you.

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
2 hours ago, kiddy said:

I remember him being DQ'ed somewhere last year. I don't know know much it would affect Sky's train going into the mountains mind you.

Report on the BBC says he had a 6 week ban for racially abusing a rival, then he was DQ'd in the World Championship road race for hanging on to his team car.

Edited by peasy23

Missed this so went over to ITV4 +1 to catch it! Seems like a protest with hay bales blocking the road first, then more protesters trying to do the same which were stopped by the police who inadvertently seemed to spray pepper spray towards the protesters which then caught in the wind and got into the eyes of several cyclists. Carnage and a 15 minute delay while the medical team administer eye drops. Crazy stuff.