Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Great night at Celtic Connections last Saturday.

"An Dannsa Dub" at Oran Mor first, absolutely tremendous. Full live band playing mostly instrumental lively folk tunes over the top of dub reggae rhythms with heavy basslines. It's hard to describe, but it really works! Occasional appearance from a gaelic singer but the real star of the show is the boy on fiddle, outstanding talent. They're playing at the Fruitmarket at the end of March, highly recommended.

Support for this was Joy Dunlop (the tall blonde BBC weather presenter) and her band. A really good unit, but perhaps better suited to a quiet all seated gig rather than an all standing sell out.

Afterwards, we headed to Glee Club for the "Festival Club" where loads of bands from around the festival play short sets in a lively atmosphere. Highlights were The Olllam (yes that's 3 L's) and Gangar.

"The Olllam" who were as much jazz funk fusion as they were folk, great musicians once again, and they looked like they'd walked straight off a Tarantino set.

"Gangar" are a Norwegian folk metal crossover. Heavy rock guitar, bass & drums, with saxophone and fiddle taking the lead. Great fun!

To think there's people who say folk music is dying, or think it's just for the twiddly and the twee.

Friday night with Arm's Length at the G2. Absolutely spectacular. The songs sounded superb live and it was one of the best, craziest, most passionate crowds I've been in for a long time. My voice is utterly shredded. A band I'll go see every time they're here.

Technically a co-headline with Beauty School, but they were very much second fiddle tonight. Not the worst band I've ever seen but definitely not one of my favourites.

Show was opened by local boys Respite, who I enjoyed a lot. 

20240202_213835.jpg

Went to see Florence Black at the Classic Grand in Glasgow on Thursday night. First saw them supporting Airbourne last year at the QMU and was impressed. They were excellent on Thursday. The new album is really worth a listen, too, if you’ve not heard them before. 

I had quite an expensive 2023 with gigs (Kiss, Def Leppard & Motley Crue, Limp Bizkit etc etc) so not got as much planned so far for 2024. Going to see Bowling For Soup and Less Than Jake on the 22nd of this month, Darius Rucker in May and UB40 in November.

Looking forward to Hamish Hawk's sold-out show at the Barrowlands tomorrow night. A truly captivating performer with a fantastic band around him. Should be a cracker. Saw them at the Church, Dundee a year ago and they were superb.

2 hours ago, monthefife said:

Looking forward to Hamish Hawk's sold-out show at the Barrowlands tomorrow night. A truly captivating performer with a fantastic band around him. Should be a cracker. Saw them at the Church, Dundee a year ago and they were superb.

Planning to attend this gig, he will also be part of the Stag & Dagger Festival taking place on Saturday, 5th May in Edinburgh, and Sunday, 6th May in Glasgow.

My absolute favourite band in the  world, The Menzingers tonight at a packed QMU. From start to finish just perfect. The new songs are as good as the classics already and the whole crowd lapped up every minute. My vocal chords are utterly shredded. Worth it. What a show.

Really good support as well from Prince Daddy and the Hyena and Gladie. Great night.

20240209_205136.jpg

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

There are people queuing for The 1975 at the Millennium Dome. The gig is on Monday night. There are three events at the venue at the weekend before The 1975.

I can't imagine spending money to go and see the 1975 never mind queueing for three days.

Simple Plan at the O2 Academy tonight. Brilliant stuff. Played all the hits and had a great time doing so. Band were on tip form and seemed to really connect with the crowd. Superb.

Support came from Mayday Parade who were decent enough, State Champs who were absolutely tremendous and Air Yel who was a lot of fun.

20240210_210731.jpg

2 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Simple Plan at the O2 Academy tonight. Brilliant stuff. Played all the hits and had a great time doing so. Band were on tip form and seemed to really connect with the crowd. Superb.

Support came from Mayday Parade who were decent enough, State Champs who were absolutely tremendous and Air Yel who was a lot of fun.

20240210_210731.jpg

Was at the barrier for this - back of my head would've been seen if that silhouetted dude was sitting down lol.
Not too impressed with Mayday Parade but I kinda see why the people I was talking too liked them. State Champs were the much better supports for me. AirYel seened decent too. And Simple Plan just great as expected.

On a somehow even more positive note I think I will have a ticket to The Warning in April through my que friends today!! I mentioned it was questionable before and someone told me not to tarry but alas, tarry I did and now I've decided I really wanna go it has sold out through official and even unofficial channels :( But a longhaired ginger I've spoke to today and at three gigs prior seems to have a connection to a spare ticket for me :D
So fyi guys, turn up early, talk to peoples, make que friends and it could be beneficial in the future!

As Everything Unfolds, Nottingham Rescue Rooms. Not my normal type, however, ticket was free. Venue, like it's big brother, Rock City, next door, is amazing. Strongly advise anyone who has the means, to attend gigs at these venues. Nottingham also a brilliant drinking city, too.

IMG_20240209_204816129_HDR.jpg

On 29/01/2024 at 16:07, Craig fae the Vale said:

I was gutted to miss out on tickets to his show in Glasgow last week. Glad you had a good one.

I've got Buckcherry at SWG3 (moved up from The Garage) tomorrow night to round out January then onto a very busy February. I feel I may ahve stretched myself, but here we go:
2nd: Arm's Length / Beauty School (G2)
3rd: Hinds (Stereo)
8th: Noah & The Loners (Broadcast)
9th: The Menzingers (QMU)
10th: Simple Plan (O2 Academy)
13th: Michael Cera Palin (Broadcast)
15th: As Everything Unfolds (G2)
17th: Alessandra (Clyde Rooms)
18th: Speedy Ortiz (Hug & Pint)
22nd Bowling For Soup / Less Than Jake (O2 Academy)
23rd: Conflict (Audio)
25th: Thrice (SWG3 TV Studio)
28th: Mickey Callisto (SWG3 Poetry Club)

Just looking at that list is giving the heebie jeebies, I'm gonna be knackered.

That's absolutely mental. I saw saw AEU on Friday, sold out, and solid. Only slight negative was muddy drums. Maybe their style. My reference point for metal drumming sound is Dave Lombardo at Edinburgh Playhouse in 1988 on the South of Heaven tour.....

I attended Hamish Hawk's performance at the Barras on Saturday, and it was an incredible gig that I anticipate will make it into my top 10 by the end of the year. My initial encounter with Hamish Hawk was in November 2021 at the Great Eastern Festival in Edinburgh, where he played an acoustic set at Summerhall and later performed at the Queen Hall on the same day. Witnessing the sold-out show at the Barras on Saturday was almost like a full circle moment.

I'm attending a Pip Blom concert at Oran Mor tonight.

Edited by betting competition

On 11/02/2024 at 02:45, AnderooMFC said:

On a somehow even more positive note I think I will have a ticket to The Warning in April through my que friends today!! I mentioned it was questionable before and someone told me not to tarry but alas, tarry I did and now I've decided I really wanna go it has sold out through official and even unofficial channels :( But a longhaired ginger I've spoke to today and at three gigs prior seems to have a connection to a spare ticket for me :D

If the someone who told you not to tarry was on here, it was probably me. Glad you seem to be sorted, should be a belter of a gig!