Completely agree with the people that are speaking out against censorship but I thought this "silent protest" was more about a stand against the misogyny that has been levelled at a few well known personalities on twitter rather than a stand in favour of that 'report button' shite...?

I think it's probably a bit of both. Weren't the victims of these tweets quite forward with their views that there should be a report button?

The best way to deal with these people is reporting them to the police, and that's something I certainly expect the victims of these threats to do. Those threats aren't acceptable in real life and I've no idea why some people seem to think they're acceptable on the internet, given they probably know fine well such behaviour is discgraceful.

The likes of Twitter have been excellent for chanelling news and opening up communication, but they've also provided the opportunity for some complete scumbags to issue threats under the false impression they can do so with impunity. They are a problem, but the rest of us shouldn't have to suffer because a few knuckle-draggers can't behave themselves. I hope they're dealt with harshly by the courts.

I think it's probably a bit of both. Weren't the victims of these tweets quite forward with their views that there should be a report button?

The best way to deal with these people is reporting them to the police, and that's something I certainly expect the victims of these threats to do. Those threats aren't acceptable in real life and I've no idea why some people seem to think they're acceptable on the internet, given they probably know fine well such behaviour is discgraceful.

The likes of Twitter have been excellent for chanelling news and opening up communication, but they've also provided the opportunity for some complete scumbags to issue threats under the false impression they can do so with impunity. They are a problem, but the rest of us shouldn't have to suffer because a few knuckle-draggers can't behave themselves. I hope they're dealt with harshly by the courts.

Yeh completely agree with you there

Spot on

Part of the problem with the Twitter Silence is that it was organised by the self-important media class (people like Moran, Helen Lewis and Glinner) who honestly believe that their periodic absence from Twitter is enough to demand change.

Part of the problem with the Twitter Silence is that it was organised by the self-important media class (people like Moran, Helen Lewis and Glinner) who honestly believe that their periodic absence from Twitter is enough to demand change.

While the rest of the world batted not an eyelid.

He was basically just doing what all drunken bellends do, asking everyone for a fight when there was no one around. If someone was unfortunate enough to stray into his peripheral vision he'd tell them to "get a life".

He also sent Joey Barton a few messages trying to rile him up. I don't think it elicited a response. Astounding that Joey fucking Barton was involved in a bit of twitter controversy and he wasn't the one that looked bad.