E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

Just got a new phone (Galaxy 7 Edge) and with my old one (Xperia) whenever you typed in an emoticon like if you typed in "haha" it would come up with the laughing emoji across the top, so on and so forth.

Is there a keyboard you can download that would do that? Got SwiftKey but can't find a setting for that either.

Cancel that, if anyone else is wondering likewise the link here sorts it. https://support.swiftkey.com/hc/en-us/articles/201457892-How-do-I-turn-on-Android-emoji-predictions-to-show-up-in-the-prediction-bar-

Although the emojis are different than the default, standard keyboard. Change is bad.

My 2 year mobile phone contract with EE is up in january. I'm sure I read on here ages ago that if you don't upgrade your monthly payments should reduce as the phone itself will be paid for. Or did I imagine it?

Yeah, if it rolls over it'll generally be at the same price unless you've agreed otherwise. Easy enough to phone them and change to a sim only contract if you're happy to keep the phone. Will take you comfortably below £20 a month for most plans

My 2 year mobile phone contract with EE is up in january. I'm sure I read on here ages ago that if you don't upgrade your monthly payments should reduce as the phone itself will be paid for. Or did I imagine it?

Best speak to them as they won't reduce voluntarily.
Or bin them for another

From previous experience they'll only give you a reduction if you tie yourself into another contract, usually 12 months. Essentially what you had before minus the monthly contribution for the "free handset".

On 27/12/2016 at 20:01, jimmy boo said:

it depends, on O2 you pay off your phone and line rental seperately, so in my case my bills dropped by 20 quid a month after i paid off my phone, defo ask them

it depends, on O2 you pay off your phone and line rental seperately, so in my case my bills dropped by 20 quid a month after i paid off my phone, defo ask them

I was sure I'd read something similar on here. Going to play hardball with them as me and Mrs Boo due an upgrade now.

I was sure I'd read something similar on here. Going to play hardball with them as me and Mrs Boo due an upgrade now.

The O2 thing though is a specific type of contract split in that way. It lets you upgrade early by just paying off the balance on your phone. Or, once the phone is paid off you can continue just paying for the minutes, data etc.

All of that is written into the contract though

My Mac is telling me i have a few viruses and Mackeeper are emailing me telling me i need to buy their stuff to get rid of them - is there a free alternative i should download?

How the hell did you get a virus on a mac? As far as I'm aware that's quite difficult. [emoji23]

7 hours ago, throbber said:

My Mac is telling me i have a few viruses and Mackeeper are emailing me telling me i need to buy their stuff to get rid of them - is there a free alternative i should download?

Bit defender virus scanner.

But Mackeeper is an absolute con.  There's almost certainly not anything on your Mac.

3 hours ago, throbber said:
It is just saying its at risk from a few websites i have been on and that i should pay them £10 a month! :lol:

Ignore it.  Mackeeper is a pop up scam that sells completely un-necessary virus blockers to mac users who frequent, let's say, websites involving seafaring hoodlums who provide the latest smash hit movies from a cove.

Edited by Savage Henry

Looking to buy a decent Gaming PC, mainly for games like PlanetCoaster and Cities: Skyline.

Wondering which computer you think would be best from this website?

Looking at this one so far but not too confident with the various specifications.

https://www.chillblast.com/chillblast-fusion-mumbo-gaming-pc-stock-arriving-10th-january.html?category_id=412

My Canadian auntie would dearly love to see a show on iPlayer. I've managed to download it as an mp4, but if I send it to her, would it ever "expire", like iPlayer programmes do?

(apologies if this is a grey area legally... the show isn't available commercially or anything!). 

Anyone know which Broadband speed test is the most reliable? I got Sky Fibre installed today and wanted to check that I'm getting the minimum speeds they are advertising but I've tried 5 different tests and the difference in the results is staggering.

11 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I usually use speedtest.net

That was one of the ones I tested. Getting results of download speeds between 12-16mb and upload speeds of 0.49-1.2mb. It's advertised as a downlaod speed of up to 34mb, so I'm not even getting half of that testing via an ethernet cable.

My phone and ps4 have been down all day. Connecting to the router fine and a speedtest shows activity.  

It turns out either my TV or PC upstarts were causing some kind of interference (the pc is not connected to the net). Basically, whiiit?