E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

Got myself a new laptop with Windows 10 on it, coming from a Windows 7 laptop, what are the first things I should do?  Previously I did upgrade to 10 but only tried it for a day and didn't like it so reverted back but obviously that is not so easy this time.

On 29/01/2017 at 12:05, Martha Stewart said:

Got myself a new laptop with Windows 10 on it, coming from a Windows 7 laptop, what are the first things I should do?  Previously I did upgrade to 10 but only tried it for a day and didn't like it so reverted back but obviously that is not so easy this time.

I said no to all the extras like Edge and Cortana etc. When you get used to it it's not much different from Windows 7.

On 29/01/2017 at 12:05, Martha Stewart said:

Honestly, I would google it and go through one of the guides you'll find, as there are a lot of data collection settings etc that you're better off switching off

12 hours ago, Chris_DK said:

Anyone know of a place where you can pay for a decent computer/laptop in monthly instalments?

Ebuyer.

I think someone on here bought from very.co.uk on finance too

I keep getting a message on my phone from 24sec-Notification.com saying it is infected with viruses and to install some app from the Playstore. Obviously I smell shite but Google search shows another site which says it's IP address (24sec) is from Amazon.

Anyone else getting this and thoughts on how to get rid?

34 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

I keep getting a message on my phone from 24sec-Notification.com saying it is infected with viruses and to install some app from the Playstore. Obviously I smell shite but Google search shows another site which says it's IP address (24sec) is from Amazon.

Anyone else getting this and thoughts on how to get rid?

There's some advice here, apparently they can spoof the IP address. Someone in the posts below the article is getting the same thing.

Hi, I got a message about virus and it demands to click "ok". There is no other option. I can't even close this web-site and I don't even browse a lot! Not sure what to do. I've deleted all downloads but haven't detected anything. I think the first time I saw the message I clicked "ok", but not sure. Then I heard a voice that virus is detected so I just quickly switched the mobile phone off. Then restarted but there is the same message in the browser, web www.24sec-notification.com. I haven't got any anti-virus. What shall I do? Thanks

https://www.onlinethreatalerts.com/article/2014/3/13/your-android-has-been-infected-with-a-virus-tap-ok-to-remove-now-spam-message/

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

There's some advice here, apparently they can spoof the IP address. Someone in the posts below the article is getting the same thing.

https://www.onlinethreatalerts.com/article/2014/3/13/your-android-has-been-infected-with-a-virus-tap-ok-to-remove-now-spam-message/

Cheers for that. The advice was to clear cache and browsing history which, fingers crossed, seems to have done the trick. Started I think after I showed someone streaming site wiz1.net on my phone which has never given me any problems before but now his laptop is playing up.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently bought this wireless adapter on ebay for my pc

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/best-150Mbps-150M-Mini-USB-WiFi-Wireless-Adapter-Network-LAN-Card-802-11n-g-b-F7-/322363816665?txnId=1701833741011

While it finds wireless networks the signal stregnth is 0% so cant connect.  

Screenshot_20170214-012139.thumb.jpg.568a189f315708895d23a81c5c70a018.jpg

Any idea what could be causing this? (I get that its probably a completely shite bit of kit at that price but it says best in the title :rolleyes:)

Edited by itzdrk

10 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Can you connect other devices (tablets, mobiles etc.)? That should narrow it down to an issue with your wifi or an issue with your new adapter.

It's a driver issue, I kinda answered on his "old PC, new TV" thread.

Has anyone had any success downloading Adobe flash player onto an android 6.0 device? Google haven't supported Adobe now since 4.0 lollipop. I've tried a few 3rd party websites and downloaded their link for AFP for 6.0 but I keep getting 'can't open file'. I need it to watch something that requires ADF to view on my Android box.

1 hour ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Has anyone had any success downloading Adobe flash player onto an android 6.0 device? Google haven't supported Adobe now since 4.0 lollipop. I've tried a few 3rd party websites and downloaded their link for AFP for 6.0 but I keep getting 'can't open file'. I need it to watch something that requires ADF to view on my Android box.

No, and I dont fancy your chances much, to be honest.

The last, semi reliable, way of viewing flash on android that I know of was to use a browser like Dolphin that loads the sites on their server and shows, effectively, a stream of it on the phone

Just now, Mr X said:

No, and I dont fancy your chances much, to be honest.

The last, semi reliable, way of viewing flash on android that I know of was to use a browser like Dolphin that loads the sites on their server and shows, effectively, a stream of it on the phone

I tried Dolphin browser but was a bit clueless what to do with it tbh.

I've had this issue before on previous laptops, but my current laptop keeps giving me the "Your computer is running low on memory" pop up when I'm sitting with only a browser open. A quick glance at the task manager seems to say that about 4GB of my 6GB is being used but I've no idea what on. A quick google search and it seems to be an issue with Windows 10 but I can't seem to find a solution anywhere. Any computer whizz's know of anything?

2 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

I've had this issue before on previous laptops, but my current laptop keeps giving me the "Your computer is running low on memory" pop up when I'm sitting with only a browser open. A quick glance at the task manager seems to say that about 4GB of my 6GB is being used but I've no idea what on. A quick google search and it seems to be an issue with Windows 10 but I can't seem to find a solution anywhere. Any computer whizz's know of anything?

Go to Process in Task Manager and it should tell you exactly whats using the memory. Do you have a lot of tabs open in your browser by any chance?