E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

8 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Go to Process in Task Manager and it should tell you exactly whats using the memory. Do you have a lot of tabs open in your browser by any chance?

I had only just turned the computer on, and the only programs running on start-up were Avira and Steam. Some online thing suggested I manually set the virtual memory to certain values which seems to have done the trick (although I have no idea what this actually is). When I'm running just chrome, it seems I'm using 42% of my 6GB memory but the processes running barely scrape that value.

New Bitmap Image.png

11 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

I had only just turned the computer on, and the only programs running on start-up were Avira and Steam. Some online thing suggested I manually set the virtual memory to certain values which seems to have done the trick (although I have no idea what this actually is). When I'm running just chrome, it seems I'm using 42% of my 6GB memory but the processes running barely scrape that value.

New Bitmap Image.png

Run full virus/malware scans and check drivers are up to date would be the first thing, I think.

4 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

New Bitmap Image.png

Might be a GFX problem chewing up virtual memory and retaining it for graphics processing exclusively on the "shared memory" protocol.

I've never had this problem as I use a dedicated GFX card at all times.

Have a look at your Graphics settings to see if your are reserving way too much memory for graphics and reduce it to something smaller to free up some memory. This might help boost performance as well if it is your problem.

3 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Looking for free microsoft word please. Anyone help me out here if possible :)

If you've any mates that are currently studying at college/uni contact them. They'll be able to get it for nothing if they sign into their university account on your laptop to download it.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You used to get Works for free, a slimmed down version of Office.

Yes, thats true. I doubt it would do a better job of handling the docs than OpenOffice though

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

If you've any mates that are currently studying at college/uni contact them. They'll be able to get it for nothing if they sign into their university account on your laptop to download it.

I'd forgotten about this - despite the fact I have done the exact same thing :ph34r:

Does anyone know how I can use a proxy to watch the game on Hibs TV tomorrow night?  It's not available to view in the UK and I'm hoping for something free because it's only for one night.

It's Wednesday and I'm sure you can buy individual games.

4 hours ago, Kool Keith said:

I meant Wednesday.  I pay a subscription to Hibs TV but the games are only shown live for overseas subscribers so looking for a proxy for one night.

Just google proxy and choose one from abroad. Be sure it's a trusted free proxy though like the one below where you can choose which country you wish to use.

https://www.proxysite.com/

Anyone else having problems with wiz1.net? Usually very reliable and picture quality superior to other sites but I can't view any streams today and getting intrusive new windows opening when clicking to clear ads then just a blank screen.

• 3 weeks later...
I have an old ipad that is just stuck in a recovery loop. I don't really use it, but I just want to check there isn't anything I might need still on there.
Anyone else had this problem and managed to solve it?

I haven't but maybe try this https://drfone.wondershare.com/recovery-mode/ipad-stuck-in-recovery-mode-after-update.html?

12 hours ago, Swarley said:

Had tried a few of those tools already.

Yours also seemed good, but I was unwilling to pay the £60 it wanted to charge me in case it was as ineffective as the others!

I realise this might be more a support question, but I noticed when copying the Quiz league tables into a thread, all the colour, fonts, formatting etc had vanished. I investigated further and it's happening with MS Word as well (e.g. I create some big text, highlight it in yellow and change the colour) and it comes out as follows:

Example Text

And this is before I've clicked the "Remove Formatting" option that appears. 

Any ideas anyone?