The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Listening to alot of Scar Symmetry lately, really good band :D

Christian Älvestam's vocals both harsh and clean are really really good, some really great riffs and the drums blow you away in certain songs. You guys should listen to their first 3 albums if you like this sorta stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQl9M-DF3fw

Maybe it's just because I remember when Alive or Just Breathing came out and I always associated Killswitch with Jesse. The End of Heartache was a sign of what they were to become - A band that would prduce an album with two catchy songs on it and 8 or so throwaway tunes

Haud the fucking bus! As other have said I'm definitely in the Howard being 100x better than Jesse but whatever. But 8 or so throwaway tunes? Have you actually listened to End of Heartache or As Daylight Dies? Cracking albums from start to finish. Different sound to the first ones too if lack of diversity if that's your problem.

Killswitch were just as strong a band after Jesse left and probably even better. And Howard's versions of older songs are amazin too so there :D

Only just spotted this thread... Can't believe people are bashing DEP, the best live metal band on the planet. Get yer heids checked.

Anyone here been to Damnation Festival? http://www.damnationfestival.co.uk/ - my pals and I started it way back in 2005, figured some of you may have been, most likely 08 when we had Carcass.

Always good to find some fellow metal fans :)

Only just spotted this thread... Can't believe people are bashing DEP, the best live metal band on the planet. Get yer heids checked.

Anyone here been to Damnation Festival? http://www.damnationfestival.co.uk/ - my pals and I started it way back in 2005, figured some of you may have been, most likely 08 when we had Carcass.

You had Shining playing! That's amazing!!!

I went the year Kreator played, 07 maybe? It was jammin'.

Good fucking effort organising that. Consistently solid line ups.

I went the year Kreator played, 07 maybe? It was jammin'.

Good fucking effort organising that. Consistently solid line ups.

Good to hear! 2007 was indeed the year of Kreator, when we moved across from Manchester to Leeds, before moving a short walk up the road from the Met Uni that we used in 2007 to the Leeds University Union in 08 onwards (the venue where The Who recorded their famous Live in Leeds)

I've not been involved in the day-to-day running since 2010 as I had to take a step back due to work. Just pitch in running a stage on the day and so on now.

It's been an absolute pleasure though, starting something from the ground up and then blowing up to a size I never even considered we could reach, putting on Carcass, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Life of Agony - great fun. Also some of my own personal favourite across the smaller stages like This Will Destroy You, Shels, Maybeshewill and Devil Sold His Soul.

When they get their act together and have a 2012 lineup taking shape, I'll fire a poster up in here!

No no no. Although Howard has a great voice, both End of Heartache and the 2009 self titled albums are terrible. The end of heartache is awful, borderline cheesey in places. The last album just isn't a metal album nor KSE IMO. There's maybe two decent tracks on it, same as end of heartache.

As daylight dies is a brilliant album though. Im really excited about the new/old lineup. Give Times of grace - hymn of a broken man a listen and you'll see.

The 2009 album was terrible I'll give you that. Not a single song on it I like. I do like Times of Grace though no doubt but I think Howard performs the classics better than Jesse, not sure if Jesse can do the same with End of Heartache or As Daylight Dies tracks. Hopefully they won't play anything from KSE 2009 in their set at Download but some new tracks would be good.

Incidentally checked my top 10 songs in terms of number of plays on iTunes. As follows,

Fixation on the Darkness (Howard version)

The End of Heartache

Self Revolution

Break the Silence

Numbered Days

My Curse

Life to Lifeless

Reject Yourself

In the Unblind

This Fire

A healthy blend of old and new but f*ck me I need some variety. :lol:

I look forward to Howard getting back into music at some point though and I'd hope he gets involved with a similar band.

Really? I mean really?

Their music is really bad (Bands with screamed vocals on the whole are shit), all they do is jump around like bunch a fannies and the guy vocalist jumps into the crowd from time to time. And this constitutes the best live band in the world?

Some clown in the daily mail when reviewing the Mastodon gig said the same thing, that Mastodon were overshadowed by DEP and really can't get my head round how anybody can come to that conclusion. Mastodon came on and blew everyone the f**k away with loud, brilliant, heavy music and thats why i go to concerts. They dont have to act like wanks to try and cover up the fact the musics really really bad.

Anyway did anybody hear the new Dragonforce song "Fallen World"? Pretty bad and the same old as per usual. They should just pack up and go home, the dragonforce fad died long ago.

Really? I mean really?

Their music is really bad (Bands with screamed vocals on the whole are shit), all they do is jump around like bunch a fannies and the guy vocalist jumps into the crowd from time to time. And this constitutes the best live band in the world?

Some clown in the daily mail when reviewing the Mastodon gig said the same thing, that Mastodon were overshadowed by DEP and really can't get my head round how anybody can come to that conclusion. Mastodon came on and blew everyone the f**k away with loud, brilliant, heavy music and thats why i go to concerts. They dont have to act like wanks to try and cover up the fact the musics really really bad.

Dillinger are probably my favourite metal band. Their live shows are some of the most intense around - you can't deny that there's a good level of crowd interaction, stage diving, coming into the crowd, absolutely MENTAL mosh pits that I've never really seen any other band compete with, just total carnage.

Musically they're very technical and incredibly tight. They've got a strong and varied back catalogue - Calculating Infinity, the EP with Patton, and the albums with Greg have been fantastic.

I can see why they wouldn't be to everyone's taste but the first time I saw them was Gig On The Green 2002 - they blew every other band off the stage. It was just carnage. That's what I want from my metal shows!

Dillinger are probably my favourite metal band. Their live shows are some of the most intense around - you can't deny that there's a good level of crowd interaction, stage diving, coming into the crowd, absolutely MENTAL mosh pits that I've never really seen any other band compete with, just total carnage.

Musically they're very technical and incredibly tight. They've got a strong and varied back catalogue - Calculating Infinity, the EP with Patton, and the albums with Greg have been fantastic.

I can see why they wouldn't be to everyone's taste but the first time I saw them was Gig On The Green 2002 - they blew every other band off the stage. It was just carnage. That's what I want from my metal shows!

To me this is an irrelevency though, i go to concerts to enjoy the music, not for crowd interaction, ive been to a few gigs new where the band hardly ever interects (if ever) with but no value is lost because they just kick ass for the next 90 mins+

I guess we have to agree to disagree on our tastes though, i really have no time for bands in the mould of DEP but im presuming you thing otherwise.

As for Mastodon, this gig i went too, in now way can be described as sloopy or boring, its was the total opposite, They songs sounded fucking awsome and the volume was unreal (The barrowlands really is a good venue), they sounded as they should do live to give that really heavy, thick, ballsy feeling they're albums posses.

Incidentally, I've seen Mastodon at their own shows, supporting bands like Tool and on festivals, and I've always found them a bit boring live and not very tight - quite sloppy on a number of occasions.

Great band on record though.

Spot on. Mastodon are boring as f**k live. I saw them at a festival (perhaps inside would be better?) and my friend even turned to me as they were playing and asked when they were going to start. I thought that summed them up perfectly. Live - they look like a band sound checking. No energy at all. However, to contradict myself I will probably go to see them at Sonisphere as they're playing all of The Hunter, which I'm loving at the minute. If they're still as boring though I will wander off elsewhere.