The Falkirk FC Thread

Except playing in front of bigger crowds, bigger clubs and a higher standard.

Aberdeen, Hearts and Celtic yep....

The rest are a mixed bag, the SPL is now Celtic top, somebody shite at the bottom and that's before a ball is kicked.

Not to join crowd w**k as that doesn't bother me, never has but we are currently sitting 9th for home average in Scottish football crowds for this season, not a factor for me tho.

Celtic 8 Hamilton 1 is an embarrassment, more so with 11 v 11, the SPL as a league is on its knees, yearly reconstruction talks arise due to the product.whereas the league's below are working.

The rest are a mixed bag, the SPL is now Celtic top, somebody shite at the bottom and that's before a ball is kicked.

Not to join crowd w**k as that doesn't bother me, never has but we are currently sitting 9th for home average in Scottish football crowds for this season, not a factor for me tho.

Celtic 8 Hamilton 1 is an embarrassment, more so with 11 v 11, the SPL as a league is on its knees, yearly reconstruction talks arise due to the product.whereas the league's below are working.

The top flight is no more farcical than it's been for many years.

8-1 is not a great example of anything.

The last two seasons have each seen sides in this division ship ten goals in single matches.

Did Hearts not win 10-0 in this league last season?

Working down the size of clubs who Falkirk could play in each league

Celtic - Rangers

Aberdeen - Hibs

Hearts - St Mirren

Dundee - Raith

Dundee Utd - Morton

Killie - Queens

Motherwell - Livingston

Partick Thistle - Dumbarton

St Johnstone - Alloa

The Premiership is clearly, by a distance, full of bigger clubs.

Yes but its not as big a gap as it used to be especially with ict, rc and hamilton up there and its not currently the be all and end all either with the improved cash split and likes of hibs hearts rangers and probably du next season playing in it.We'll get there eventually but i wont be gutted if we lose out to the likes of rangers and hibs.

The top flight is no more farcical than it's been for many years. 8-1 is not a great example of anything. The last two seasons have each seen sides in this division ship ten goals in single matches.

One suspect 10-2 result where top played a relegated bottom side in which Hamilton needed an 8 goal difference for promotion and Hearts flying at the top of the league versus a bottom club, part time team down to 10 men after 28 mins. Hamilton are 5pts off a top 6 place and it was 11 v 11, christ Motherwell beat Celtic a few week ago there then get pumped 6-0 by Hearts.

The SPL must be a bookies nightmare, results are as random as throwing a dice outside the top 3 and perhaps Dundee Utd, its 8 bald men arguing who have more hair.

Did Hearts not win 10-0 in this league last season?

Working down the size of clubs who Falkirk could play in each league

Celtic - Rangers

Aberdeen - Hibs

Hearts - St Mirren

Dundee - Raith

Dundee Utd - Morton

Killie - Queens

Motherwell - Livingston

Partick Thistle - Dumbarton

St Johnstone - Alloa

The Premiership is clearly, by a distance, full of bigger clubs.

Hearts v Cowdenbeath isnt comparable to Celtic v Hamilton, Hearts game 11v 10 after 28 mins, one part time bottom club versus a club flying in the championship, whereas Hamilton had 11 v 11 against a Celtic team that is a shadow of its former self, beaten comfortably by Motherwell a few week ago, scraped a 1-0 at home to Partick.

We lost 8-1 to a Celtic team that was classed as its reserve team, we had a naive manger who went to Parkhead to attack, which he admitted was wrong, tho we were riding high in the 1st Division(Championship)

Celtic team that night - 15 internationals, European cup winner, world cup winner

Celtic: Douglas, Valgaeren, Balde, Laursen, McManus (Thompson 79), McGeady, Lambert, Pearson, Wallace, Sylla, Juninho Paulista. Subs Not Used: Hedman, Lennon, Petrov, Varga.

Celtic team v Hamilton

CELTIC: Gordon, Lustig, Simunovic (Forrest 46), Ambrose, Izaguirre, Bitton, McGregor, Mackay-Steven, Rogic (Allan 46), Armstrong, Griffiths (Cole 65)

Subs not used Bailly, Tierney, Commons Ciftci

There is a gap obviously from Championship to SPL but Id put that down to the cash cow from splitting of the prize money nowadays for them to have bigger squads and pay more money to journey men from foreign countries and players that used to be good. I cringed watching Sportscene a few week ago with them commenting that Michael O'Halloran being one of the best players in the league, that's how low its gone

Last weekends Falkirk v Hibs for me was game of the weekend in Scottish football, that's how much a non show the SPL is

Edited by MrDust

:lol: deary me.

How long until the 'I don't want us promoted, I'd rather win the league and stay in this league to defend it. That league is boring' chat begins again?

FWIW Falkirk spent three consecutive seasons in the Second Flight despite being relegated from it and winning it.

We just love it :P

*I say that whilst distancing myself from the big/wee club madness

One suspect 10-2 result where top played a relegated bottom side in which Hamilton needed an 8 goal difference for promotion and Hearts flying at the top of the league versus a bottom club, part time team down to 10 men after 28 mins. Hamilton are 5pts off a top 6 place and it was 11 v 11, christ Motherwell beat Celtic a few week ago there then get pumped 6-0 by Hearts.

Hamilton are in freefall just now. Annan put four past them the other week and it should have been more.

Results like the the other night's have always popped up. Aberdeen went through a spell of constantly losing by huge margins at Parkhead.

As you know, even this season's Falkirk are capable of shipping loads at unglamorous top flight venues.

The line you're trying to peddle is daft. As I've said, the top league's current make up is atypical, but that's actually a good thing to my mind. Otherwise, we could dispense with the matches and just arrange clubs in order of size and give out the prizes that way.

As Marshmallo says, the top tier is still the one where, generally speaking, you'll find the bigger clubs.

In my time watching Falkirk, about 27 years now, I've probably had more joy watching us in the 1st div/championship. That's more to do with the fact we win more than we lose though.

I can think of only a few premier league seasons I enjoyed going to the matches 91/92, 94/95 & 06/07. Selected matches from the other seasons too.

As said above, the place to be is the Premier League especially if your not it in. Your enjoyment in that league though is very much dependent on how your fairing.

I like the fact one guy keeps using Ross County as an example of a why there isn't a massive difference between the leagues. Now I believe that Falkirk have actually played them this season to allow a direct comparison. Anyone care to tell me the score?

We've over £2m in a separate bank account collecting interest ^_^

Falkirk only averaged 1000 more fans than us last season, and thats with them sharing a league with Rangers, Hibs and Hearts while we had Ross County, ICT and Hamilton....

Regardless of all the nonsense posted on this thread about bank balances, crowds & stands.

The only thing that will matter to Blair Alston is will his bank balance be healthier and will the length of contract be suitable. Playing in the premiership will be a lovely bonus.

Look at Jamie MacDonald last season, was offered premier league football but turned it down for a big wage at Falkirk for 1 season. Players look at the wages/package, same as anyone does.

The Premiership might have its flaws, but it's the pinnacle of league football in this country and I'd quite like us to be a part of it.

I'd certainly swap our crowds for St Johnstones if it meant we achieved some of things they have in recent years.

Regardless of all the nonsense posted on this thread about bank balances, crowds & stands.

The only thing that will matter to Blair Alston is will his bank balance be healthier and will the length of contract be suitable. Playing in the premiership will be a lovely bonus.

Look at Jamie MacDonald last season, was offered premier league football but turned it down for a big wage at Falkirk for 1 season. Players look at the wages/package, same as anyone does.

Exactly what I've been trying to say. If he's offered more money by St Johnstone he'll go. Any of us would. But if we can match or better what they offer then at the current moment the SPL doesn't have the same big pull it had a few years back . Again I'd like to hope that in our current situation we would be able to compete with the smaller Premier league clubs but then it all depends on how much Houstie values Alston. He may feel he can get better for the money. You simply don't know.