The Falkirk FC Thread

So in the last financial year we made a trading loss of £671,735. But thanks to "other operating income" of £835,324 we made a net profit of £163,589.

It now transpires that this other operating income came from the sale of Tony Gallacher & add-ons for Stephen Kingsley. Obviously products of our ex- academy, so it saved us again as recently as this year.

No one seems to be bothered that we will never see that kind of cash again.

Oh well , at least we have a cracking first team - onwards to the Premiership!

So in the last financial year we made a trading loss of £671,735. But thanks to "other operating income" of £835,324 we made a net profit of £163,589.
It now transpires that this other operating income came from the sale of Tony Gallacher & add-ons for Stephen Kingsley. Obviously products of our ex- academy, so it saved us again as recently as this year.
No one seems to be bothered that we will never see that kind of cash again.
Oh well , at least we have a cracking first team - onwards to the Premiership!
Never see that kind of money again is a bit of an oversimplification.

Livingston, for example could see serious coin for Craig Halkett. He was emptied from Rangers. The Pars will hope to be well recompensed for Ryan Williamson, Celtic punted him. Ayr United will be the recipients of the biggest fee ever paid for Lawrence Shankland despite having been at a plethora of clubs, but at this moment in time his performance for them commands a big fee.

You dont have to have an academy to pull in funds. Selling players you have picked up who have subsequently performed well works just as well and in terms of numbers, this method probably (my guess) has a higher strike rate than having an academy.

We have picked up real quality as recently as Vaulks and Leahy for example.

If Vaulks moves to Stoke or Norwich according to the FH we had a sell on clause and get a bit from that as well. If by some miracle we managed to sell any of the current crop i will be amazed with the exception of TR but going by Edibairns posts he is out anyway (aye right)

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/falkirk-fc/falkirk-keeping-an-eye-on-vaulks-transfer-interest-1-4845638

If Vaulks moves to Stoke or Norwich according to the FH we had a sell on clause and get a bit from that as well. If by some miracle we managed to sell any of the current crop i will be amazed with the exception of TR but going by Edibairns posts he is out anyway (aye right)
https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/falkirk-fc/falkirk-keeping-an-eye-on-vaulks-transfer-interest-1-4845638
Will still doing it for us.

I miss u brother x x x

Fan-organised from what I've heard. Again doubtful as to whether they'll have sufficient funds. My worry is we end up with a group making  a barrel load of promises of reopening the academy etc and get fans on board without any finance to back it up.

Wrong wrong wrong again. No idea

Anyway who is going to invest in Falkirk that is not a fan?

The other thing is the current MSG have not invested one brass farthing in 6 years so it would be no different in your world.

You got telt last week and you still have the face to come on and still dig. Have you emailed Craig? We all know the answer to that - NO

3 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

So in the last financial year we made a trading loss of £671,735.

That statement is the real issue, in other words without the 2 academy sales we would be f___ked. If we are to be relagated then we are in serious trouble. THE TEA PARTY HAD BETTER  EMPTY THE WAR CHEST  IN JANUARY? 

3 hours ago, EdiBairn said:

Why won't we? Can clubs only sell players that came through their academies? Someone better tell Will Vaulks.

Will Vaulks was a miracle , he practically begged us to sign him , played for free and was a great player for us.

Name me 1 other player in the last ten years that we have sold for money that hasn't come through our academy - other than Will , Lyle Taylor & Mark Twaddle (about 600k in total).    

And I don't count  Biabi as he came into our U-17s.  

The academy players have brought in millions in the same period.  

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Never see that kind of money again is a bit of an oversimplification.

Livingston, for example could see serious coin for Craig Halkett. He was emptied from Rangers. The Pars will hope to be well recompensed for Ryan Williamson, Celtic punted him. Ayr United will be the recipients of the biggest fee ever paid for Lawrence Shankland despite having been at a plethora of clubs, but at this moment in time his performance for them commands a big fee.

You dont have to have an academy to pull in funds. Selling players you have picked up who have subsequently performed well works just as well and in terms of numbers, this method probably (my guess) has a higher strike rate than having an academy.

We have picked up real quality as recently as Vaulks and Leahy for example.

Shankland will go for a fee, the other two it remains to be seen - you are only speculating. These are very much the exception to the rule.

The big difference these days is that if clubs do take a punt on a player they will normally only give them a short contract, a couple of years at the very most -  if they are any good they move on for free when out of contract or the dreaded pre-contract.

I think your guess is totally wrong - especially if you use our own club as an example  based on fact , not your guesswork. 

PS - didn't Leahy leave for nothing?  

Shankland will go for a fee, the other two it remains to be seen - you are only speculating. These are very much the exception to the rule.
The big difference these days is that if clubs do take a punt on a player they will normally only give them a short contract, a couple of years at the very most -  if they are any good they move on for free when out of contract or the dreaded pre-contract.
I think your guess is totally wrong - especially if you use our own club as an example  based on fact , not your guesswork. 
PS - didn't Leahy leave for nothing?  

I didnt say we got a fee for Leahy, I said he was real quality.

Whether or not the club succeed in either strategy is down to good management at board level. We dont have that in terms of transfers. That much is clear.

My point was that money can and does get made by picking up players who have been released from elsewhere and getting a tune out them.

You can say I am speculating if you want but if you think Livi couldnt get coin for Halkett in January then I dont know what to tell you, he is a high profile example of exactly what I am talking about.

1 minute ago, AL-FFC said:

Pretty sure that was part of the strategy with this summers recruitment find a couple of gems and then sell on to bring in some money there was only one drawback with that plan - it was bollocks

i would say not necessary the plan but the execution of it was bollocks.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I didnt say we got a fee for Leahy, I said he was real quality.

Whether or not the club succeed in either strategy is down to good management at board level. We dont have that in terms of transfers. That much is clear.

My point was that money can and does get made by picking up players who have been released from elsewhere and getting a tune out them.

You can say I am speculating if you want but if you think Livi couldnt get coin for Halkett in January then I dont know what to tell you, he is a high profile example of exactly what I am talking about.

There's no doubt you can get money back from players picked up elsewhere , my point is they are very few & far between.

You have given me 2 high profile examples, where are all the others - outwith the top handful of clubs.  

Looking at the last years financial statement it looks like we need transfer money in to survive, where is that money coming from next year & the year after - are we just hoping for another Will Vaulks miracle coz a Luke Leahy won't do.     

13 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Higginbotham and Wallace are the other 2 I think.

Murray Wallace - from his Wikipedia page

"A product of the Falkirk youth system Glasgow born Wallace began his career as a trainee at home town club Rangers before joining the Falkirk academy aged 16"