The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

I hope not but if it is that'll be four signings in and not one apart from maybe Agyeman has brought any degree of excitement. 

A goalkeeper is never going to be seen as an exciting signing but the reality is we don't have one. 

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

I’m sure that the BOD have learned from the managers first season in charge. McGlynns objectives must have been promotion whether first or playoffs. That’s a fail for me but he gets a second chance.
Bit early to judge on the first two new signings in, but it’s a tighter first team pool we’ve been told. If true it’s maybe only 6/7 to come in, possibly one or two more if we hit more than budgeted STs etc. Maybe I’m well off course but looking at who’s been retained, we’re going to be relying on many individuals who absolutely shat one. 
So back to the point if the BOD have some (coffers) reserves if the season goes tits up very early, that’s got to be a yes, lunacy if they haven’t……..

You are like a broken record 

True but you want a decent one. Not someone who flings them in the net or can't command his area. FWIW I thought Hogarth started off well enough but got gradually poorer before he went back to Forest,  it could be ofcourse his confidence was shot with the defence not exactly helping him. Better keeper than Kinnear who looked very ropey at times but I'm not sure he was that much better if any than PJ on his game. 

Edited by ebobsboy

GK should be by far the easiest position to recruit for. Teams down south have loads of them and most obviously never seen any game time.

It's pretty scandalous we've managed to sign so many duffers.

Hogarth was really underwhelming I thought. Only looked competent next to Morrison and Kinnear.

Edited by FalkirkBairn2021

11 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Hogarth was really underwhelming I thought. Only looked competent next to Morrison and Kinnear.

I thought Morrison was marginally the better between himself and Hogarth. Kinnear never really gave me any confidence though maybe that's down to a lack of confidence himself. 

I'm sure they're all around the same age with roughly the same number of career appearances. I'm happy to cut them some slack based on their age, experience and the poor defending in front of them but an experienced keeper whether as first or second choice would be great for the other keeper we will have. 

I too thought PJ Morrison was the best of the three goalkeepers we had last season but Hogarth's a bigger presence and he's 3 years younger than Morrison so plenty of time to develop.

Hogarth as the number 1 with Macdonald the back up and goalkeeping coach would do just nicely.

5 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Hogarth as the number 1 with Macdonald the back up and goalkeeping coach would do just nicely.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the other way round next season. MacDonald as number 1 with Hogarth getting a year to continue his development. Either way both are an improvement on last years two. 

1 hour ago, ebobsboy said:

I hope not but if it is that'll be four signings in and not one apart from maybe Agyeman has brought any degree of excitement. 

I don’t think signings at this level necessarily need to be ‘exciting’ tbh - they need to be practical and specifically for the job of winning this league.

Benedictus last season is a great example of this. Never going to be seen as an exciting signing however it was his leadership and expert that Dunfermline built their success on. 

7 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I'd prefer an experienced head in goals if I'm honest. Need someone who isn't scared to give our defence a kick up the arse 

Agreed. Hogarth didn't fill me with confidence at any point and as far as picking fault, more than once he was beaten by shots he shouldn't have been, particularly at the near post. 

Best of the 3 we used is arguably true but that's not an overly high bar, and it's a bar for me that would be cleared effortlessly by Jamie McDonald

1 hour ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

GK should be by far the easiest position to recruit for. Teams down south have loads of them and most obviously never seen any game time.

One of our best loanees was Burgoyne and he spent the whole of last year on the bench with Shrewsbury.

1 hour ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Personally didn’t think Hogarth really did anything wrong with us

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

Where is this McDonald narrative coming from. Is he signing? 

Just seems to make too much sense for it not to happen given the history with McGlynn. I’d he happy to get him.

Edited by Hughsie